What view did you book at Aulani and were you happy with it?

tripletsmama

DIS Veteran
We will be attempting to book Aulani next week. We will be using the 7 month window and are going for 10 nights in February. I'm am currently in the process of deciding which view to book. Can anyone provide an overview of what the different views are like? If we borrow, we will have enough points for ocean view, but I'd rather not spend that many unless it's truly worth it. I would love any thoughts, experiences, pictures, opinions, etc on Aulani views! :)

We had 2 rooms a pool view and a "island view" the Pool view was awesome as we were on a lower floor (same floor as the lobby/shops) we loved seeing the characters from our window.

The island view was ok, we were high up (maybe 14th floor) and could see Diamond Head and Waikiki. We didn't spend a lot of time on our balcony here.

For our first visit we booked a pool view room and loved it. Thanks to the help from wdrl's thread on Aulani Villa Views (which he kindly posted the link to above) I requested highest floor (which in the pool view category is the 5th floor) and got it, so we had a view of the pool and then a nice over the treetops view of the ocean. It was great.
For this next visit in December we are changing rooms so part of the time will be island view and then the end of the trip will be ocean view.... and again thanks to wdrl's thread I have done my research on which room requests to put in and hope to be as fortunate as the first time round.

We stayed in an ocean view last November and it was incredible! High floor (15th I think) and I am so glad we did. It was worth the points to see those fabulous sunsets every day!!

We had an Island View last year when we went. It overlooked the spa area and did have some ocean views. We didn't spend that much time in the room so the view was fine. I think if I ever go back I would try for the pool view, highest level available. Overlooking the pool area is just beautiful.

We had an ocean view! I loved it. It was close to the main building and over looked the pool area as well. We enjoyed time out on the balcony especially at night, listening to the live music playing outside of the Olelo room

we had an island view on our last trip, it was our first time there and we were there for 10 days. since we really weren't in the room a lot I was fine with the view. We bought points now so we'll be going more often in the future. depending on if we have guests and how long we plan on staying I think I'll splurge for pool or ocean view.

At Aulani now. We have a standard view room to save on pts. We're very happy with it. We're on 15th floor in the Ewa tower and enjoy looking over the island area with Diamond Head in the distance while having our morning coffee. Other than that we don't spend a ton of time on the balcony.

We had a pool/garden view and loved it. We were on the third floor in the Waianae building facing the valley near the Menehue Bridge. We loved hearing the sounds of the valley day and night. We even slept with our door open. It was great hearing the songs to the sun and sunset. In the evenings we could hear the live entertainment (singers) outside the 'Olelo Room. I think we used our balcony more because there was so much to see and hear.

Thanks for the replies. Standard view to save on points tempts me and ocean view for the beauty tempts me too. Tough decision. :) I will definitely check out the photo thread.

On the photo thread you'll see my disappointing ocean view dedicated 2BR from last year. Others have posted pictures from poolside gardens or even island gardens views that had more of an ocean view than my villa had. This year we've decided to try poolside gardens view to save a few points and hopefully get a better view at the same time!

Iceman93 said:
On the photo thread you'll see my disappointing ocean view dedicated 2BR from last year. Others have posted pictures from poolside gardens or even island gardens views that had more of an ocean view than my villa had. This year we've decided to try poolside gardens view to save a few points and hopefully get a better view at the same time!

If you spent the extra points for ocean view I can definitely see being disappointed in a less than amazing view! What is the difference between poolside garden and island garden? To me that sounds like the same thing.

What is the difference between poolside garden and island garden? To me that sounds like the same thing.

The Poolside/garden View villas are all facing Aulani's Waikolohe Valley, which is the name for the area that has the main pool, water slide, and lazy river. These villas are on floors one through five, but no higher. Aulani uses the title "Poolside/garden view" for this category because some of the villas on the first floor have obstructed views of the water features due to the landscaping. If you go to the Aulani Villas and Views thread and click on the photos for villa #170 you'll see an example of what I mean. If you click on villa #110, you'll read mouseaider's posting why he really liked being on the first floor.

There are no Island/Garden View villas that face Aulani's Waikolohe Valley. Instead, this category of villas is all on the exterior parts of Aulani. They can be as low as the first floor. The Ewa Building Phase 1, which is the part of the Ewa Building that is closest to the lobby, has Island/Garden View villas on floors 8-16.

I suggest you take a closer look at the Aulani Villas and Views thread to get a feel for the differences in these categories.

If you spent the extra points for ocean view I can definitely see being disappointed in a less than amazing view! What is the difference between poolside garden and island garden? To me that sounds like the same thing.

Actually I wasn't a DVC member then (we bought during the trip), so we were paying a substantial cash premium for that so-so view!

I actually think they should take the name "gardens" out of the two mid-level view titles. Just think "poolside" or "island", and then wdrl's description is spot-on.

We booked an Ocean view 1BR and were, initially, very disappointed. Our view was a pool view, in our opinion, with the ocean a distant element far beyond the "in your face" unavoidable pool scene.

Overall we liked the room location but not the "view" classification.

We booked a 1 bedroom OV, and I requested 10th floor or higher and rooms in a specific number range. I got exactly what I wanted and LOVED our view.

We decided to do 4 nights at Grand Californian and all were available when I went to book online this morning! Yay!! So we're all set for a 2 bedroom there February 1-5. On July 5 I will start the Aulani reservation. Looking ahead starting with February 1 everything but standard view looks wide open. I am working my way through the Aulani thread slowly but surely. :) We are all very excited as we have never been to Disneyland or Hawaii!!

We decided to do 4 nights at Grand Californian and all were available when I went to book online this morning! Yay!! So we're all set for a 2 bedroom there February 1-5. On July 5 I will start the Aulani reservation. Looking ahead starting with February 1 everything but standard view looks wide open. I am working my way through the Aulani thread slowly but surely. :) We are all very excited as we have never been to Disneyland or Hawaii!!

I doubt you will have to walk that ressie. I booked my Feb. 2013 Aulani trip in full starting on the first day available without any trouble a t the 7 monthy window. I think that is especially true for a 2 bedroom OV room.

We are booked!!!! Since we decided to do 4 nights Grand Californian instead of 3, we were coming up a few points short for anything but standard view at Aulani. I booked February 1-5 at Grand Californian and February 5-12 at Aulani. Tomorrow I will book the 12 and 13. Sunday I will call to book the 14 since it will involve purchasing 15 one time use points. I could have pulled it off without the one time use points if standard view had been available, but it was missing 2 nights. So, we took island garden. I am not thrilled about that view but still, we are going to Hawaii!!!!

Can anyone comment on good island garden view rooms? We have a 2 bedroom dedicated. I will post and read more on the big Aulani thread too. I'm sure there will be someone there with experience with island garden view.

So excited and so glad everything is working out!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter