What to wear to Orlando?

KatDisneyMom

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone!
Leaving from Michigan tomorrow dhere it is a snowy frozen land. We have a foot of snow more to come today. Prayers for no delay tomorrow !!
What do wear there? Thinking capris and Tees?
Coats? Leave in car and wear sweatshirts???
What to do with our boots?

If we were shoes they will get snowy and wet. Thought of changing in airport and carrying on boots? Just not sure
Ideas please

I always fly in layers during the winter. That means a turtleneck, sweatshirt, light windbreaker, and jeans. Socks and sneakers. Once at the airport, I'm not concerned about footwear....if you have to wear boots then I would leave them in the car. Same with coats. Unless it's a long trek from parking to the terminal.
I tend to go with capris and tee shirts...I bring a few long sleeved shirts, and that sweatshirt, with me. I have the pair of jeans I flew down in..just in case it gets really chilly at night.

I've gone in December a couple of times (I'm from the Chicago area). The first time I didn't wear a coat at all - I dressed the same as goofy4tink both times (except without the windbreaker) and the second time I did wear a coat in the car, but left it behind. I was only outside for the short time it took me to walk from my apartment building to my car, then briefly at the off site parking facility before the shuttle picked me up, then briefly at the airport while doing curbside check in.

Honestly, though, with the amount of snow that you're expecting to get today, I would see if you can get on an earlier flight.

I'd leave your boots in the car, definitely. I know when I fly when it is cold I wear jeans on and have shorts or capris in my carry on and change at MCO.

It really depends on what the expected weather is where I am landing. The last time I flew to Florida during winter time, it was only in the 60s in Florida.

I wore a sweatshirt jacket over a tee shirt with long pants. Luckily, I was able to park close to the airport entrance for a quick entrance on a very cold icy morning. I left a heavier coat in the car for my return.

We used to leave coats on the car, until there was a winter storm when we were on the way to Buffalo from California. We were diverted to Chicago overnight. Had to stay at a hotel. Very, very cold waiting for the shuttle in running shoes and windbreakers in a blizzard in Chicago in March .

Hi, Michigan! I'm from Ontario, Canada. I leave my winter coat & boots in the car (so I can put them on when I get back if necessary) & wear runners (you call them sneakers?) that I have treated with a basic water repellent spray. I wear jeans, a t-shirt, with a light sweater or sweatshirt over top, then wear a fleece zip up jacket on top. I also stuff a pr of the dollar store stretchy gloves in my pocket. Layering works well for me & keeps me warm until I land in Orlando. I have had to use that sweater & the fleece jacket at WDW in the winter. I have also been glad to have the jeans. While capris & t-shirts should be fine, the pr of jeans that you wear down on the plane is a wonderful safety net in case you hit cool temps in the parks. Definitely check out the long range weather forecast for Orlando before you go. Have a great vacation!

Hey everyone!
Leaving from Michigan tomorrow dhere it is a snowy frozen land. We have a foot of snow more to come today. Prayers for no delay tomorrow !!
What do wear there? Thinking capris and Tees?
Coats? Leave in car and wear sweatshirts???
What to do with our boots?

If we were shoes they will get snowy and wet. Thought of changing in airport and carrying on boots? Just not sure
Ideas please
We wear our heaviest clothing (jeans, hoodies, jackets, shoes/boots) on the plane in case it's chilly on the plane (also saves a ton of room in our luggage).
Usually leave our winter jackets, boots, gloves, hats etc with whoever is dropping us off at the airport (or in our vehicle if we drive ourselves)

As others have noted, the heavier clothing can come in handy if the weather isn't co-operating or for the inevitable chilly evening.

Winter is our favorite time to visit Florida, the weather is gorgeous compared to home, park crowds are generally lower and even a "cold" day in Florida is preferable to the -30 stuff back home.

Enjoy your trip.

I dress for my destination. More than once I started a March trip by dropping the family at the airport, parking the car in an exposed parking lot and then trudging through snow in cargo shorts and sneakers.

Bill From PA

As someone else pointed out, if you get stranded you will be cold without the coats. What we do is bring them to the airport, step aside before checking the luggage, and put them in a travel spacebag that we can squish all of the air out of before adding them to the checked bag. Light down jackets/vests are terrific for travel, if you have them. Boots shouldn't be necessary once you reach your airport or parking facility; the sidewalks should be shoveled, as business travelers seldom carry boots.

When travelling to WDW in winter, we don't do sneakers. We all wear Merrell Jungle Mocs that we have waterproofed. Remember that it can often rain in central Florida in winter, and soggy shoes are still uncomfortable at any time. We pack our sport sandals if the weather is predicted to be truly warm.

For Orlando itself, our "warm" standard is the Jungle Mocs, a fleece pullover, a hooded windbreaker, lightweight gloves, and rollable or zip-off long pants plus a pr. of lightweight long underwear. If there is a cold snap you need something warm at night for standing outside watching fireworks and such. (The fleeces, gloves and long underwear are easy to squish into in a backpack during the day if it's in the 60s-70s, but when it drops to the 40s at night with a lot of moisture in the air, it can get very chilly outdoors. The air in Florida is generally damp even in winter.)

We wear flip flops, capris, t, and hoodie. I don't own a winter coat, and if my husband/kids need one for the trip to the airport, they just leave them in the car. Hoodie comes off at MCO :)

When we lived in MI (now in Florida) I would drop off DW and luggage and then park the car. We never took boots or winter jackets, we would store them in the trunk in case we needed them when we came back to MI. I actually like cold weather, so not an issue walking to the terminal, DW hates it and that is why we are in Florida. We were in Orlando for 18 years but I hated the 5-6 months of constant 90-100 degree days with high humidity just as much as she hated the winter in MI. Finally got her to move somewhat North to the FL panhandle, where summers are not as bad and we do get in the 30's occasionally during winter.

Having gone down from Philly in winter, I'll usually leave any heavy coats and boots (if necessary) in the car. I'll usually wear a sweatshirt and my light rain jacket with jeans for the bus ride from parking to the terminal. Sometimes when I get in the terminal, I'll put the jacket and sweatshirt in the luggage I check or my carryon backpack. If its not killer cold out, I may even wear shorts so I'm all set upon landing at MCO.

I too live in Michigan and when we travel to Disney I change into shorts at Detroit Metro Airport. That way I am ready for the great weather that we always seem to get every year in February. Lat year it was 10 below when we departed and 81 when we arrived.

Last week we left leftover-snowy Seattle at 36, had an overnight flight, and landed in Orlando.

Wearing actual boots would be overkill bc you don't need them once in the actual airport. I didn't even wear my big coat and wore several layers instead. I just dealt with the cold wind from house to car, car to shuttle, shuttle dropoff to airport.

I'm generally cold on planes so I wear nice WARM socks. I had all my layers then a thin alpaca wool blanket.

Once we landed the layers started coming off. And I keep a nice change of clothes in my carryon for once we are totally off the plane.

I would freeze if I dressed for Orlando on the plane, even in summer.

I just purchased one of those "packable" down jackets at Macy*s. I love it. Living in NJ, it gets cold and snowy but as most times I am just in and out of my car on the way to work or shopping I hate being in a heavy coat. This jacket is very lightweight but warm and it packs down to a little bag. So far I have used it all winter. We are hoping to do an Alaska cruise in the future and I figured this would be perfect.

Layers with a big scarf that can fold away easily once in FL but can double as a blanket on the plane ride.

We are hoping to do an Alaska cruise in the future and I figured this would be perfect.

We found that a "3 in 1" coat worked well for an Alaska cruise. Not just one layer of a down jacket but more. Our daikon was the last or second to last of the season so it was colder than normal but we also had some lovely days in there as well. We were constantkt shedding or adding layers it seemed. I would add some thin wool socks, a want knit cap, and thin warm gloves to the packing list if we do Alaska again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter