What to wear first week of December?

queenofhartz

DIS Veteran
It's been a long time since I've been to Florida, and I live in a very dry climate now. I'm wondering what to wear in early December in Orlando? It looks like the highs are 75 and lows are 55. I'm wondering if you are more comfortable in a tshirt and shorts or sweatshirt and jeans? I also know that we could do layers. But, I am trying to be reasonable about not packing every pair of jeans/shorts in the house. Thank you!

Honestly, you need a bit of everything. It can get cold in the mornings where you want a jacket and gloves. You can also have a couple fluke days where it's warm enough to sit by the pool in a bathing suit. I would say pants and layers for up top is the safest bet, but you really have to check the weather right before your trip. December is so variable.

It really depends. We were there the week after thanksgiving this year and I froze! There were a couple of warmer days that I got by with just a tshirt and leggings, but the nights were chilly all the time. A couple of days it was only in the low 50s and I wore long sleeve shirt, hoodie, jeans and was very cold.

A couple of years ago, though, it was much warmer and I wore shorts all week. No hoodie was needed at all.

Honestly, you need a bit of everything. It can get cold in the mornings where you want a jacket and gloves. You can also have a couple fluke days where it's warm enough to sit by the pool in a bathing suit. I would say pants and layers for up top is the safest bet, but you really have to check the weather right before your trip. December is so variable.
So agree with this.

Something we do, but remember we value warmth over looking stupid, If it get too cool at night but we really really want to stay for fireworks. We put on a poncho. Keeps body heat in.

So agree with this.

Something we do, but remember we value warmth over looking stupid, If it get too cool at night but we really really want to stay for fireworks. We put on a poncho. Keeps body heat in.
Sounds like I'll be packing for summer and winter! Thanks to everyone for the help. Good idea about the poncho!

I typically bring lots of t-shirts, a few long sleeve shirts, one or two sweatshirts, lightweight joggers/pants, one pair of jeans, short and long socks, a packable puffy jacket and a pair of gloves. I bring a backpack so I can pack my layers and take them off, put them on as the weather fluctuates.

Sounds like I'll be packing for summer and winter! Thanks to everyone for the help.
Hopefully when you're a couple of days away, the long range forecast will give you some idea of if your'e going to hit a really warm or cold period. I was there back in the first week of December for the Jollywood party and it was SO SO SO cold - I was prepared but I couldn't quite make it to the end of the party because I was a popsicle. I was wearing a ton of layers, hat, gloves, the works! We had some beautiful and warmish sunny days but at night....brrrrrrrr

Sounds like I'll be packing for summer and winter! Thanks to everyone for the help. Good idea about the poncho!
You'll have a much better idea as your trip gets closer. We have done early December many times over the years, and it's as unpredictable as many have said. Most trips we swam. Some trips we froze at night!

It's been a long time since I've been to Florida, and I live in a very dry climate now. I'm wondering what to wear in early December in Orlando? It looks like the highs are 75 and lows are 55. I'm wondering if you are more comfortable in a tshirt and shorts or sweatshirt and jeans? I also know that we could do layers. But, I am trying to be reasonable about not packing every pair of jeans/shorts in the house. Thank you!
We were there Nov 28 to Dec 2nd a few months ago and two of the days were very cold. And then two of the days had warmed up to the low 70's. You can get any kind of weather in December - even in the same week. :)

Usually Orlando is pretty comfortable that time of year. However, as others said you could also experience a cold snap and need layers.
We had a chilly week in early Dec 2017... our first day of trip was 80 for a high. The rest of the week the highs were upper 50s and nighttime temps in the 40s. We knew this going in to the trip and packed accordingly.

Just make sure you check the weather forecast a few days before you leave to know how to pack.

I have done quite a few late November to early to mid December trips over the last 15 years including just a few months ago in 2023. I agree that you have to pack, essentially for 4 seasons of weather at once, sometimes all in the course of one day! The best news though is that it definitely rains the least during this period of the season, in fact my 2023 trip got nearly no rain at all, I was shocked! But it was also the first December trip I ever had where we had some sustained days in the 80s in the daytime, to the degree I got some uncomfortable sunburn. In the past I had never worn any on my December trips because I had not gotten burned, but this trip was surprisingly hotter at times, which shocked me. But I still had many chilly mornings and nights where you felt you needed a light jacket and might be more comfortable in pants. I mean, I have had trips with lows of 32 degrees and highs in the mid 80s and that is just over the last 2 years! So, yeah be prepared for almost all temps but you will be given a major break from heavy rain.

I went December 4-8 in 2019. We are from NJ and wore sweaters, sweatshirt shirts, packable down jackets, north face fleeces, jeans, legginga, long sleeve, gloves… and also shorts. 🤣 it really varies. I’d pack a little of everything but count on dressing in layers. We didn’t go to the pool that trip as it was a little too chilly for that.

Having a variety or dressing in layers in never a bad idea. Cool in the morning, but then might warm up later in the day. If you are flying to Disney, one other thing to consider is airplanes tends to be all over the map, sometimes too hot, while other times too cold. Some people wear shorts no matter the temperature, so also depends on a bit on how you prefer to dress.

I live in Florida. I went back and looked at my photos for the beginning of December for the last three years. Apparently, we went to the beach around that time in 2022 and went swimming. I’m a chicken when it comes to being cold so it must have been pretty warm. I also see pictures of us at Disney Springs, a different year, and we are all wearing sweatshirts. My husband is always hot so it must have been pretty cold. I guess I am echoing what everyone else is saying… watch the weather and bring layers.

Have everything ready and decide last minute. I’ve had trips where it was 80’s all week, wore shorts everyday. Other trips it was only 60’s, never wore shorts. Other trips a mix. One time it was only a high of 48 on our arrival day, I brought a winter coat for night.

Be ready to bring it all. My one week Dec trip last year required shorts for a couple days, jeans for a couple days, and a winter jacket and hand warmers for night at the end.

And be sure to watch the weather report as time gets closer. I had this same question as you about late January. I've now gone 3 times in late January-one time I wore every hat, jacket, gloves, etc. I'd brought and wished I had my wind pants. Once, I brought 2 pair of shorts and wished I'd brought more. One year was kind of in the middle, weather-wise.

December weather in Orlando, FL is a coin flip!
If you live in a cold climate, your perspective on what is warm weather is generally more optimistic!
People from the northern states and upper mid-west will go swimming in Orlando when the locals are wearing their winter jackets.

Prepare clothing options for both cold and warm weather.
Even checking the Orlando weather prior to your departure from home doesn't help because the Orlando weather can change day to day or hour to hour! It can be warm during the day and cold at night.

We travel annually to WDW during this time period. Some years it is shorts and tee shirts weather and other years it is long pants and winter jackets required weather.

Prepare to dress in layers and have a warm jacket packed and ready if needed!

Wash clothes if needed ... and remember nobody really remembers if you repeats your outfits on vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter