What to expect from Avatarland

I think the main difference here is that Soarin' has static vehicles that barely move, whereas this ride will use an enhanced motion vehicle that emulates coaster movement. It's just as simple as comparing Dinosaur to Haunted Mansion. They both go through different scenes on a track, yet Dinosaur's vehicles move and HM's don't.

As for the boat ride, we really don't know the details, so let's not assume this is just another PotC. A couple of years ago Disney filed permits for a new omnimover boat ride technology that allows the boats to even go out of the water in different segments. This technology is probably being used for Shanghai's PotC first, but it could potentially make its way into AK.

I expect the Soarin' comparison simplifies what it will be. I'd be thrilled just to have some truly innovative attractions, even if there are similarities with the basic ride system. If they can make a boat ride with great theming that's a fun experience, I'd probably love it. And I'm not a big Avatar fan.

Well not really. Soarin' was an in house creation. This banshee ride is going to use a new vekoma ride system that will be more thrilling than soarin'. The boat ride we don't know much about. its likely to have drops and is said to have very immersive scenery. The floating mountains are also something disney has never done before.
We'll see. If it's going to be "like 'Soarin" there really isn't much more you can do unless it's going to be a combination of the Spider-Man style 3D with the gliding type technology. Outside of vibrating and tilting and moving up and down there isn't much there and if it's more than that then comparing it to 'Soarin is a bad example.

The boat ride can be like Splash Mountain and it still doesn't change much about it being a recycle.

Don't get me wrong as I love SM and would ride a different themed version of it any day but after 6 or 7 years that's still going to be a disappointment in the big scheme of things.

We'll see. If it's going to be "like 'Soarin" there really isn't much more you can do unless it's going to be a combination of the Spider-Man style 3D with the gliding type technology. Outside of vibrating and tilting and moving up and down there isn't much there and if it's more than that then comparing it to 'Soarin is a bad example.

The boat ride can be like Splash Mountain and it still doesn't change much about it being a recycle.

Don't get me wrong as I love SM and would ride a different themed version of it any day but after 6 or 7 years that's still going to be a disappointment in the big scheme of things.
In terms of boat rides there is only so much you can do. We just don't know a lot of details about the land yet.

Here's the patent I was talking about in case anyone is interested (I said permits instead of patent in my previous post lol)
http://disneyandmore.blogspot.mx/2013/11/will-shanghai-disneyland-pirates-of.html

Thanks-any changes to a typical boat ride would be nice to see.

As for the Soarin comparison, we never really understood the draw-and yet they have to add on to reduce the wait times.

So its hard to argue that something along that line isn't a great addition to AK, maybe the best addition.

If possible I'm actually less interested after reading this article. All of this time and money and essentially it's just rehashing other attractions.

Exactly, but unfortunately Disney has trained the masses to settle for tweaks and clones.

Exactly, but unfortunately Disney has trained the masses to settle for tweaks and clones.

Have the masses been trained, or have we all gotten dumber and lazier?

This thought may apply to the fanatics that are constantly on this board, myself included, but I would think that the masses don't really go more than once or twice in several years or even in a lifetime. Most probably don't know the similarities or don't even really care. Go to any state fair or many amusement parks and you see same or similar rides with different themes. People will ride them all.

This thought may apply to the fanatics that are constantly on this board, myself included, but I would think that the masses don't really go more than once or twice in several years or even in a lifetime. Most probably don't know the similarities or don't even really care. Go to any state fair or many amusement parks and you see same or similar rides with different themes. People will ride them all.
I really think this is the mindset behind a lot of things at Disney now. They know the fanatics are locked in (especially DVC members) and they can pick up some one in a lifetimers every year who don't know maintainence and customer service are down because it's still nicer than the state fair.

It's obvious they're feeling slightly threatened by Universal now but not enough.

To be honest, even if you're not a fan of the film, you've gotta admit that the world they created for it is a true wonder. The script may have not been all that great, but the world it was set in was put together so wonderfully. And with Joe Rohde and James Cameron working on it together, I think it'll be such an original, immersive, and beautiful experience for anyone. The banshee flight ride certainly has potential, but I'm even more interested in the boat ride, or simply exploring the land. I truly can't wait to see it in it's finished state! AK realllllyyyyy needs it too. I like every Disney park for certain reasons, but I think this will make the park more appealing. I think that DHS and AK are the ones that need the most love, and that's what it looks like Disney is trying to give them.

To be honest, even if you're not a fan of the film, you've gotta admit that the world they created for it is a true wonder. The script may have not been all that great, but the world it was set in was put together so wonderfully.

The art direction was amazing, but the movie was forgettable. It will be a really beautiful area, but I'm not sure there are as many people as they think that will make the connection between Avatar Land and the movie. Maybe if he manages to get the other two movies out in 2016 and 2018 after all that will change.

I'd much rather see them return to the mythical beast land that was originally planned. I'm sure they could build some amazing attractions and areas around that theme and they'd look every bit as good at night time. Dragons, pixies, unicorns... come on! And the best part is that those things are timeless.

On the bright side, Avatar Land should be perfectly themed for a transition to Mythical Beast Land whenever Avatar is forgotten.

It is widely thought that Avatar will not open with the boat ride, which will be put off for Phase 2. A bad idea, of course, because I'm far more interested in a really immersive Pirates-esque dark ride than Pandorin'.

This was a rumor at one point in time, but it is no longer widely believed. The boat ride is clearly under construction, and although it still possible it will open later, I don't see any reason to believe that at this time.

Going back to the uniqueness of the boat ride, I was reading a Disney and more article on Shanghai potentially using a new boat ride system patented by Disney in 2011 which will allow boats to spin, move sideways and even backwards, which would create a very different experience to the regular boat ride we all know. If they use this system in Shanghai (and they probably will) it's very possible that the system will make its way into Pandora. It's important to clarify, though: as far as I understand, there are two different patents that could be used, one is a boat omnimover that would allow vehicles to move over land, and the other is the one I mentioned before. If capacity is Disney's priority, they'd probably choose the omnimover over the spinning boats.

The technology definitely exists. It's just a matter of how unique TDO wants the ride to be.

Last edited:
I wonder, will there be any food options in Pandora? As long as it isn't alien poop I'll give it a whirl.

I'm really excited about the boat ride as well. That looks amazing in the drawings and plus I'm a sucker for the old lady rides.

Going back to the uniqueness of the boat ride, I was reading a Disney and more article on Shanghai potentially using a new boat ride system patented by Disney in 2011 which will allow boats to spin, move sideways and even backwards, which would create a very different experience to the regular boat ride we all know. If they use this system in Shanghai (and they probably will) it's very possible that the system will make its way into Pandora.

The technology definitely exists. It's just a matter of how unique TDO wants the ride to be.
That's the system being used for their pirates ride I believe

That's the system being used for their pirates ride I believe

I made a correction, though. As far as I understand, there are two different patents that could be used: one is a boat omnimover that would allow boats to move on land segments, the other is the boat ride we all know with spinning vehicles. I think they'll choose the type of system depending on the ride's capacity being a priority or not.

Personally, I think a spinning boat with speed control sounds much cooler than a boat that moves through water and land, but I can understand why they'd prioritize capacity over vehicle experience.

Last edited:
To be honest, even if you're not a fan of the film, you've gotta admit that the world they created for it is a true wonder. The script may have not been all that great, but the world it was set in was put together so wonderfully. And with Joe Rohde and James Cameron working on it together, I think it'll be such an original, immersive, and beautiful experience for anyone.

The art direction was amazing, but the movie was forgettable. It will be a really beautiful area, but I'm not sure there are as many people as they think that will make the connection between Avatar Land and the movie. Maybe if he manages to get the other two movies out in 2016 and 2018 after all that will change.

I'm in the camp hoping that they are making these two rides sufficiently awesome and immersive that it won't really matter what specific IP is laid over the ride(s). If the rides are well done and can pull you into another world altogether for a few minutes, it shouldn't matter whether a person likes the movie or not (or, as I have seen plenty of people saying since "Avatar Land" was first announced, whether someone has even seen the movie). I have a feeling that the people saying that they've never seen it and never will are going to watch the movie either immediately before a trip or, based on a good experience in the new land, immediately upon returning home. They might not love the movie still, but at least they'll have less vitriol to spew once they've had a good experience in the park. Either way, there's no denying that the pending success of the sequels will be on the minds of all Disney executives. They will want to be able to say "I told you this was a good idea" instead of having to use the argument in my first sentence here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter