What to do with leftover meatballs?

I usually eat them as leftovers. I'll make some new pasta, and I always make big batches of sauce.

Make more pasta and change the sauce. You can do a vodka sauce, try no cook fresh pesto with all the summer basil, try tortellini pasta as a change so many options.

We are big fans of stretching extra servings of all kinds of meats into hot garlic bread sandwiches, italian bread opened up with garlic that you saute' in either olive oil or butter (or use garlic powder) then bake it bit in the oven until starting to brown, add thin slices of meatball or steak and top with mozzarella and back in the oven to just warm through & melt the cheese.

You can make a meatball pizza or pizza bread, get pizza dough then flatten it like a pizza, put down a layer of cheese then add the meatballs sliced thin, add other meats if you like, then roll it up and bake like a regular loaf of bread, cut and serve warm with tomato sauce.

These meatballs definitely have spaghetti sauce on them, so I can't use them with rice/sweet sour sauce or tacos or anything else that "spaghetti sauce" doesn't go with.

Freeze the meatballs. Heat up later in the sauce. Drizzle some Parmesan on top. Stick toothpicks in them for an appetizer while waiting for dinner.

As others have said, freeze 'em. But we like to have meatballs sauteeed in sweet and sour sauce served over white rice with peppers and onions a couple times a year.

Po' Boys use a different bread than most subs. Up North we called them "Italians" cuz our family and extended family just got Italian subs. The bread on those was pretty bland though.

One of the few things the North could borrow from the South is Po' Boy bread. They should have just taken those recipes when the Union was formed. The South are still stung about that whole war anyway, so it'd make no difference. I actually have nothing to say about meatballs!
Technically, the bread is only really different in Louisiana, and you can't quite replicate it without the right tools. The reason is that the difference in texture, while partly caused by the recipe, is also affected by the relative humidity when proofing and baking; traditional bread ovens in South Louisiana have steam jets to keep the air inside the oven very humid. That's why New-Orleans-style French bread has that unique shattering crust and light soft interior. (You can come close by baking the bread with a pan of water in the oven, but it's not exactly the same.)

One of our faves is meatball hotdish.

Get italian bread, slice thickly-ish. Put in buttered hot dish. In a box, mix mayo, softended cream cheese, black pepper, red pepper flakes, italian seasoning. Spread on top of bread. Top bread with the meatballs in sauce, top with cheese. Bake until bubbly the cheese is golden.

YUM!

This is pretty much it, but I use homemade balls/sauce, and usually provolone

https://www.thecountrycook.net/meatball-sub-casserole/

Po' Boys use a different bread than most subs. Up North we called them "Italians" cuz our family and extended family just got Italian subs. The bread on those was pretty bland though.

One of the few things the North could borrow from the South is Po' Boy bread. They should have just taken those recipes when the Union was formed. The South are still stung about that whole war anyway, so it'd make no difference. I actually have nothing to say about meatballs!
We have fantastic bread here in the nyc metro area that can’t be replicated anywhere, we even flew to Hawaii with loaves. Folks who move away always stock up when visiting.

Hoagies might be upstate NY (I don't know). But on Long Island and in the boroughs they are called heros.
They are hoagies here in Philly unless it's hot then it's a grinder.

God forbid you say this on the Dis, but it's very regional and you do have to pay for your plate (or your hoagie, sub, grinder, etc.) :rotfl2:
I'm not sure about other areas of the state, but in the Buffalo, Rochester, and Binghamton areas, they are subs.

We have fantastic bread here in the nyc metro area that can’t be replicated anywhere, we even flew to Hawaii with loaves. Folks who move away always stock up when visiting.
“Can’t be replicated anywhere”? I have a lab and a team of bread scientists standing by right this minute willing to put that to the test.

Technically, the bread is only really different in Louisiana, and you can't quite replicate it without the right tools. The reason is that the difference in texture, while partly caused by the recipe, is also affected by the relative humidity when proofing and baking; traditional bread ovens in South Louisiana have steam jets to keep the air inside the oven very humid. That's why New-Orleans-style French bread has that unique shattering crust and light soft interior. (You can come close by baking the bread with a pan of water in the oven, but it's not exactly the same.)
Part of the process involves reciting the recipe in a Cajun accent to the tune of jazz band. OptIonal: shake a gator‘s claw over the length of the pan. You DON’T have to wear overalls, that’s a common misconception.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter