• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do with extra money??

Kidztheater

Mouseketeer
I am taking a group of 14 kids and 5 adults (including me) down for a performance in Downtown Disney. We've been doing some fundraising and there is a chance we might have some extra money. If we do, my question is:

Should I just give the kids/staff cash as extra spending money? (Or Disney gift cards)

OR should I upgrade and try to get a lunch reservation for a nicer restaurant (we have planned two $30-35 meals per person and could maybe upgrade at least one to $45-50/person). I know we are last minute, but we have a couple of contacts in the parks and may be able to pull strings or eat at off times :o)

Personally I'd prefer to have money to spend on souvenirs than a more expensive meal.

Could you do a poll of the parents to see what they think?

Kids don't care about a food upgrade, give them the gift cards.

:earsboy: Bill

Gift cards vote here also. Then they can buy water and other cool snacks.

Quite honestly I would NOT poll the parents--there will be different opinions--including those who want some type of refund if they paid any into the trip and by letting them know how well you did, you may find it harder to raise funds the next time (people/parents thinking "we don't need to do x because last year they had too much money") By purchasing gift cards for use only at Disney you are still supporting the kids and the trip.

Gift cards are the way to go. Kids will have a blast spending the money on what they want to get. They won't get any pleasure out of an upgrade in a meal. (Unless you did food upgrade to a charater meal)

You never know how much extra money kids will bring on a trip like this. There are some parents who just cannot afford to give their kids souvie money. I'd say gift card.

Disney Dollars would probably be my first recommendation, but there are some other possibilities depending on a few things...

what age group are the kids?
are they a mix of boys & girls?
how long is your stay?
what type of tickets do you have?

honestly, as a person who has supported numerous fundraisers and been involved w/youth groups and fundraising myself... i'd say "none of the above"... i would suggest you put the money back into the organization's bank account for future endeavors...

unless you were clear with your supporters that "any add'l money over and above the cost of basic expenses will go to the kids to buy what they want in gift shops" it's really not your money to decide what to do with...

people donated to get the group to disney so they could perform and cover basic expenses... they didn't likely donate so johnny could buy a shot glass for his collection!

100% gift card.

$30 - $35 will already get them a nice meal.

I don't think kids will really appreciate the signature restaurants.

honestly, as a person who has supported numerous fundraisers and been involved w/youth groups and fundraising myself... i'd say "none of the above"... i would suggest you put the money back into the organization's bank account for future endeavors...

unless you were clear with your supporters that "any add'l money over and above the cost of basic expenses will go to the kids to buy what they want in gift shops" it's really not your money to decide what to do with...

people donated to get the group to disney so they could perform and cover basic expenses... they didn't likely donate so johnny could buy a shot glass for his collection!

I agree with this 100%.

I agree that giving them CASH spending money would be a misuse of funds. I too have been involved in fudraising for large trips and it always goes towards the basic expenses of the trip ... food, tickets, transportation & lodging. If you give them cash they could spend it on the movies at home.

However, if they still have meals that need to be paid for I would think it ok to give them a Disney gift card to cover misc. expenses in the park such as counter serve meals, water, ect. Sure, there is no way to be positive they spend it on food ... but if it is stated that that is what the card is for at least it is a legitimate expense.

If you have not gotten matching t-shirts yet that is something my kids always look foward to and enjoy having.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

WDWO

WDWO

i'd have to disagree.

if i am donating money to a fundraiser for a disney trip, i'm thinking the money is going to be used for a Disney trip, whatever that entails, spending money and all.

would you allow any portion of the donations to be used for:
transportation to WDW: can they only drive it is cheaper than flying?
must they buy tix from a third party cause it saves a buck?
are they allowed ticket upgrades or are they only allowed to have base tix?
are they supposed to stay in a no-tell motel offsite cause it's the cheapest way and serves the purpose?
if they are allowed to stay on property, are they allowed to stay at a value resort or must they pitch a tent at fort wilderness?
if they are allowed at a value, can they upgrade to a moderate.
are they allowed to buy any food or meals at WDW or must they brown bag everything?
the list is endlesss

bottom line, if you are donating, know what you are donating for. if it is a Disney trip, then have the common sense to know that it is a Disney trip and that some money will be used for fun.

i am a firm believer that if you gift something to someone, once it is theirs, it is theirs no strings attached.

We are also taking a group to dance this summer. Here is what I would do, in this order:

1. You keep any extra funds with you for any unplanned emergencies or anything unexpected. Then any left over money goes in the account for the next trip. On DS choir trip this year 3 students missed the connection (long story but they were told the wrong gate) and had to take a later flight. The rest of the group had to wait in the airport for 2 hours. Just getting everyone a bottle of water and chips could use up your extra cash.

2. If available for your group buy the breakfast vouchers (the $10 ones) for each of your group. I like this option better than the gift card because DD would have no option but to get food. If she is handed a gift card for the same amount she would not buy breakfast! ;)

3. If the student did part of the fund raising divide the extra up and give back the amount left over.

4. Get the gift cards.

When is your trip? Ours is June 23 - July 1. Dancing on the 30.

i'd have to disagree.

if i am donating money to a fundraiser for a disney trip, i'm thinking the money is going to be used for a Disney trip, whatever that entails, spending money and all.

would you allow any portion of the donations to be used for:
transportation to WDW: can they only drive it is cheaper than flying?
must they buy tix from a third party cause it saves a buck?
are they allowed ticket upgrades or are they only allowed to have base tix?
are they supposed to stay in a no-tell motel offsite cause it's the cheapest way and serves the purpose?
if they are allowed to stay on property, are they allowed to stay at a value resort or must they pitch a tent at fort wilderness?
if they are allowed at a value, can they upgrade to a moderate.
are they allowed to buy any food or meals at WDW or must they brown bag everything?
the list is endlesss

bottom line, if you are donating, know what you are donating for. if it is a Disney trip, then have the common sense to know that it is a Disney trip and that some money will be used for fun.

i am a firm believer that if you gift something to someone, once it is theirs, it is theirs no strings attached.

i am not about putting 100 conditions on a fundraised performance trip, nor am i about not having fun... i do agree that the extra money should be held for emergencies and if not used, returned to the kitty... i don't think that is "un-fun," i think it is smart and responsible...

when i donate i do know what i am donating for... our church is currently raising funds for our youth group to go to a rally in New Orleans... and i am happy to support their airfare, hotel, food, etc expenses, but if they come back with a tattoo sponsored by me, i'd be a little upset...

i think the matching shirts are a great idea, promote unity and are an acceptable use of donated funds!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter