What to do with elderly with no precheck?

eeyore81

DIS Veteran
We will be leaving from MCO on Monday. Our flight leaves at 3:30. Everyone has precheck except for my 72 year old father. First, are they lines for security bad in the afternoon like I have seen in posts? Second, should I get him a free trial of Clear? He is easily confused and does not travel often. It’s probably been at least 10 years since he has been on an airplane. Thoughts on the best way to handle this situation.

My mother will go through the regular line by herself, but she gets a wheelchair at the airport so the attendant goes with her. Yes, the lines looked pretty bad in the afternoon and evening.

I know you all have precheck, but either get him the Clear or maybe have someone go through the regular line with him since he would need to go through it anyway?

get him a wheelchair and have one person go with him thru the regular line. They will usually fast track wheelchair passengers so the attendants can get to other guests quicker. Don't forget to tip the wheelchair attendant.

It varies with the person you talk to, but often the TSA agents will let parties stay together.

I think if you explain the fact that he doesn't travel much and is easily confused + the fact that everybody else has Precheck, they'll just tell you to go all as one party.

It varies with the person you talk to, but often the TSA agents will let parties stay together.

I think if you explain the fact that he doesn't travel much and is easily confused + the fact that everybody else has Precheck, they'll just tell you to go all as one party.
I would think the problem would be you get in line well before you see an agent. So if everyone gets in the Precheck line, then when they get to the agent and he says "no", father (and assuming someone else) would need to go get in the normal line.

OP, I agree with the others to get wheelchair service and one person stay with father through security. Let everyone with precheck take the bags for those two.

get him a wheelchair and have one person go with him thru the regular line. They will usually fast track wheelchair passengers so the attendants can get to other guests quicker. Don't forget to tip the wheelchair attendant.

side question, tipping. We are using a wheelchair at airport for first time. How much to tip ? Someone here mentioned they push you to the gate and leave you. And when it's time to board, someone will push you on the plane. Do you also tip that person and again how much?

side question, tipping. We are using a wheelchair at airport for first time. How much to tip ? Someone here mentioned they push you to the gate and leave you. And when it's time to board, someone will push you on the plane. Do you also tip that person and again how much?
If you are able to walk down the jet bridge then they will probably just leave you in a seat. Other things to consider is if you will need an aisle chair and will need someone to transfer you then I would tip more for that service. Depending on whether they handle your luggage and distance I would tip $5-$10.

If he is easily confused and doesn't travel often I think it will work best if someone from your party/family stays with him to go through security. He might have trouble hearing/understanding their instructions and even for frequent travelers all of the complexity at airports can be a bit confusing. If he also has mobility issues, using a wheelchair is a good idea. Some airports have moving horizontal walkways, but many do not and you have to walk long distances to get to your departure gate.

Last edited:
There's always been one person who pushes my mom from the ticketing to the gate and leaves her there. When boarding starts they have different attendants or gate employees who push the chairs up the jetway. She tips the person who brought her to the gate but not those who take the chairs up to the plane, but she walks onto the plane and does not need help transferring. She felt bad for the woman who pushed her all the way through Dulles because it's huge, so they got more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter