• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do - owner won't respond

Jedimom

Mouseketeer
I booked a condo several months ago. I won't say who it's with -- just that they are reputable, have tons of properties, and this is their full time business. Signed a lease (electronically), paid a deposit, all that stuff. I'm just about at my 30 days before I'll be there, and the rest of the money is due now. I've attempted to reach out to the owner/manager multiple times, multiple ways over the past week, saying "please charge my card --- please take my money" and no response.

What on earth do I do at this point? What can I do? I'm worried there must be a problem with the unit, maybe the owner or manager died or something, who knows? If they don't charge my card by the 30-day mark (which would be Wednesday), do you think my contract will be null and void and I can demand my deposit be returned? Seeing as how it wasn't me who didn't fulfill my end of the deal, but them in not accepting payment. I don't want to wait much longer because like I said, I'm 30 days out and need to get something solid nailed down.

Then the next questions is, what is left that I can book, a reasonable distance from WDW, and for a reasonable amount of money? Would love to stay around $1k (all in) but not sure that's possible anymore. My dates are Sa - Sa, first week in August. Figured my fallback would be skyauction but they aren't showing much for my dates. :(

I feel terrible for you. I hope you are able to make contact and resolve this problem.

Have you tried calling and e-mailing? Does nobody at all answer the phone? Do they have a website? Did you book through a third party? Contact them.

Yes, if you do need to find somewhere else, you'll find endless choices. Go to VRBO and you'll find more options than you know what to do with...for well under $1k/week.

That's terrible! Is it the owner or the manager? Or are they one and the same? A post on their Facebook page, if they have one, may get a response.

We rented a condo for the first time this trip and everything was done directly through the owner. They had a property manager but they handled their own transactions.

I hope you get a response soon. If you need alternate lodging, try tripbeat.com.

I feel awful for you. I'm such a planner all of this unknown would cause me extreme anxiety. I have to admit if it was me if I ever got a hold of them I would demand my deposit back. They do not sound like someone I would want to do business with. You are trying to give them money! Imagine what response you would getif the was an issue. I think I would cut ties and run!

Geez...this is terrible. I hope you got a response and just forgot to come back and tell us. I am also traveling the first week of Aug (8/4 - 8/11). I hope all is well and you will let us know.

No response yet. Looks like there is a facebook page but it's rather inactive so that probably wouldn't do me much good. I'll try to phone again today and if no response by the time I leave work, I'll send a final email followed by a certified letter on Thursday stating our contract is void and to return my deposit. This is too much work. And yeah, I fear if I can't get a hold of someone now what happens once I'm there if I have a real problem.

Makes no sense. Just take my money already!

Honestly, I would already start to look for a replacement unit just in case. At least put feelers out to other owners to see what is available.

Well today is day #9 of trying and also the 30 day mark. Still no response. Left a final voice mail saying if they don't charge my card by day end, I'm considering the contract void and to please return my deposit. In the meantime, I'll be spending my holiday looking for something else.

I have to laugh or I'll cry. This whole situation is just so bizarre.

You can get a decent rate at Sheraton Vistana Resort for August 4th through 11th via the mousesavers offer "MSDEAL". A 2 bedroom villa will run you $1153 including all taxes and fees. No resort fee, no parking charges, and free WiFi. I know $1000 was your budget, but this is pretty close. SVR is a beautiful resort with some fabulous amenities.

I suggest posting the name of who you are dealing with. If they have lots of properties maybe someone here may have rented from them and may have some insight as to what is going on...or may have another number for you to call.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you! Did you put your deposit on your credit card? If so, I would see if you can initiate a charge-back.
You can get a decent rate at Sheraton Vistana Resort for August 4th through 11th via the mousesavers offer "MSDEAL". A 2 bedroom villa will run you $1153 including all taxes and fees. No resort fee, no parking charges, and free WiFi. I know $1000 was your budget, but this is pretty close. SVR is a beautiful resort with some fabulous amenities.
I get $1283 when I look. She also is checking in on the 3rd (30 days from today).

OP, there is an eBay auction for a 2BR at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for your dates for $1099.

Well today is day #9 of trying and also the 30 day mark. Still no response. Left a final voice mail saying if they don't charge my card by day end, I'm considering the contract void and to please return my deposit. In the meantime, I'll be spending my holiday looking for something else.

I have to laugh or I'll cry. This whole situation is just so bizarre.

And hopefully you paid deposit with cc so I would file a dispute with them and tell them do not accept any further charges.

Sorry to hear about this. Thankfully, in many years and dozens of property rentals, we've never run into any sort of problem. It seems odd that a company you say is reputable and owns many properties suddenly vanished.

Certainly, there are endless rentals out there so getting a new place to stay shouldn't be that difficult. You can probably even find another unit in the same complex. Where were you booking? VRBO is a great resource as is the dedicated website for the particular neighborhood (Windsor Hills, Windsor Palms, etc.).

As Hopper stated, i'd speak with your Credit Card company and dispute the charges and make sure they are unable to charge anything else. That way if you do book somewhere there is no risk of being charged twice. Id then spend the time trying to get an alternative.

I'm a firm believer that all things happen for a reason, so roll with it and make the best of it. You guys will have a great time!

Hmm...thanks, I missed that one on the website. Saw SVV but didn't want to be that far out. I'll put it on the maybe list. Would prefer 3BRs but we could make 2BRs work. Only thing I don't like is that they mentioned electric could be turned off to certain buildings during the day for renovations.

I suggest posting the name of who you are dealing with. If they have lots of properties maybe someone here may have rented from them and may have some insight as to what is going on...or may have another number for you to call.

*I've* rented with them before and had no issues. Communication was fine back then, plentiful even. But I did a search on these boards yesterday and apparently there was a DIS member who posted about some major communication issues with this same company. Fortunately for him/her this was in the pre-lease stage so they just moved on and presumably found something else. Had I seen that post before I booked maybe I'd have hesitated more. Or not, seeing as how my previous personal experience was a good one.

At this point it's not an issue of them not getting my messages. For whatever reason, they've chosen to go radio silent. Until I hear from them and/or get my deposit back, I'm not going to publicly name them which could prevent me from getting my deposit back.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you! Did you put your deposit on your credit card? If so, I would see if you can initiate a charge-back. OP, there is an eBay auction for a 2BR at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for your dates for $1099.

Unfortunately no. I don't "do" credit cards, personal choice I made a long time ago. I understand how it would have helped me in this situation, but that's not enough to make me change my mind. There are other avenues I'll have to pursue if it comes down to it.

I'll check out ebay. WBC was on my maybe list.

Holy cow -- we have payment!!! No explanation, but final payment is in process of being withdrawn from my account. I'm good. Nervous about what happens if I have any problems, and probably wouldn't book through the same again. But I really don't want to be having to find something else this late in the game.

Holy cow -- we have payment!!! No explanation, but final payment is in process of being withdrawn from my account. I'm good. Nervous about what happens if I have any problems, and probably wouldn't book through the same again. But I really don't want to be having to find something else this late in the game.

Good luck on your visit.

Maybe when you return and all security etc has been settled ... you would share so that others don't get caught up with this. No communication like this is unacceptable and unprofessional. There are too many options to deal with something like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter