What to do in Nassau?

jermel

Earning My Ears
We are going on the 3 day Magic to Nassau and Castaway Cay Feb.14-17. What are some great excursions to do in Nassau? Is there anything that you would recommend that's on our own instead of with Disney? We have two boys-8 and 4. Some good friends are going with us and they have 2 daughters-9 and 3 and a son-7.

Thanks! :banana:

We are going on the 3 day Magic to Nassau and Castaway Cay Feb.14-17. What are some great excursions to do in Nassau? Is there anything that you would recommend that's on our own instead of with Disney? We have two boys-8 and 4. Some good friends are going with us and they have 2 daughters-9 and 3 and a son-7.

Thanks! :banana:

Going to Atlantis hotel resort for the day is popular, or straw market.

http://www.atlantis.com/help.aspx

Stay on the boat. Lower crowds by the pool, Nassau is very pricey! Plus what turned me off was the high pressure sales at the straw market! No thanks, I'll plant myself at the pool. :goodvibes

We are going on the 3 day Magic to Nassau and Castaway Cay Feb.14-17. What are some great excursions to do in Nassau? Is there anything that you would recommend that's on our own instead of with Disney? We have two boys-8 and 4. Some good friends are going with us and they have 2 daughters-9 and 3 and a son-7. Thanks! :banana:

We LOVED the Stingray Excursion. It was very inexpensive and came with transportation, beach time and over an hour to swim with debarbed stingrays.

Stay on the boat. Lower crowds by the pool, Nassau is very pricey! Plus what turned me off was the high pressure sales at the straw market! No thanks, I'll plant myself at the pool. :goodvibes
I agree about the market. One cab driver would not stop bugging us. We just wanted to walk around a bit and enjoy Nassau but the high pressure sales turned us back to the boat and peace and quiet.
Do not make eye contact with sales people, and do not stop for them. Just keep walking give them a smile and a kind word or two, that is what worked for me. I would plan an excursion next time as I bet Nassau has some great things to offer if you have a plan.

The kids would love a day at the Atlantis water parks! An experience of a lifetime. My boys still talk about it, and fun for the adults too!

I was disappointed in the straw market. I thought it was going to mostly be hand made goods by the people selling, something like you might see at say Pike Place Market in Seattle. I think there was a fair amount of the market I didn't see, however what I did mostly see was the same mass produced "Made In Indonesia" stuff over and over again.

It was my first time there and we did the Ardastra Gardens and City Tour. The gardens were pretty cool, especially once I saw the signs about how most of the animals are rescues and the work they do to figure out which animals can cohabitate (personality wise). Feeding the lorikeets was a lot of fun and there's some birds that display a lot of personality. Plus marching flamingos.

The city tour was interesting. It really puts the economic situation on display. When you're in port if you look to the left you will see the lush Atlantis resort. To the right is the city. The city comes across as rather poor. I will say we did not see anyone begging or living on the streets, but it still came across as generally poor, in the way of a lack of upkeep mostly--peeling paint on all the buildings for example. We you go from there to all you can eat buffets on the ship it really gives you a sense of privilege. We used this as openers to some good conversations with the kids.

We stayed on the ship in Nassau for our 3 night cruise. The time on the ship is so short with the 3 night, we wanted to be able to explore and have time on the pool deck where it wasn't totally crowded.

I was disappointed in the straw market. I thought it was going to mostly be hand made goods by the people selling, something like you might see at say Pike Place Market in Seattle. I think there was a fair amount of the market I didn't see, however what I did mostly see was the same mass produced "Made In Indonesia" stuff over and over again.

It was my first time there and we did the Ardastra Gardens and City Tour. The gardens were pretty cool, especially once I saw the signs about how most of the animals are rescues and the work they do to figure out which animals can cohabitate (personality wise). Feeding the lorikeets was a lot of fun and there's some birds that display a lot of personality. Plus marching flamingos.

The city tour was interesting. It really puts the economic situation on display. When you're in port if you look to the left you will see the lush Atlantis resort. To the right is the city. The city comes across as rather poor. I will say we did not see anyone begging or living on the streets, but it still came across as generally poor, in the way of a lack of upkeep mostly--peeling paint on all the buildings for example. We you go from there to all you can eat buffets on the ship it really gives you a sense of privilege. We used this as openers to some good conversations with the kids.

How much time does the gardens/city tour take? We wanted to spend most of our time on the ship but would like to see a little of Nassau too, but I don't think the straw market it my thing. Also, did you book the tour through Disney and how much did it cost? Thanks!

We have done a few and by far our favorite was the sealions... Now we prefer to stay on the ship. Everyone else gets off so it is nice to have the ship to ourselves. Better chance to get appointments at the spa, less people on the Aquaduck and the movies are almost empty!! Definitely not worth getting off.

This will be our 1st cruise, and I think everyone is wanting to see a little bit of Nassau. Some shops, a local restaurant, a glimpse of how the locals live, etc, rather than going to Atlantis. Is that possible? Do we need to take a tour of some sort, or will we be able to walk easily to some areas like that? We'll have 4 adults and 3 children.

Our thinking was that we could stay on the ship in the morning to do the aqua duck, the pool, etc. and then close to noon get off the ship for a couple of hours to see some sights. Will that work? If so, please tell us how and what to do. If not, please tell us why to help us better understand the situation.

Thanks so much.

Yep! Sealions for sure!!! If you havent done it once, its definitely worth considering. Actually Twinkie is probably gonna sign up for it again!

When we have gone to Jamaica we just grabbed a ride to where we wanted to go. Do they have choices at the port?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Shannon

We did the Pirate Museum. It's a very easy walk right through Nassau so you get to see the shops and restaurants. We stopped and got our passports stamped on the way and we were back on the ship for the delicious lunch at Cabanas that was already paid for. We also were able to ride the aquaduck in the afternoon because most of the ship was empty. It was a great day for us and I have to say the pirate museum was a great surprise. It was very well done.

http://www.pirates-of-nassau.com/museum.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter