What to do/go North of San Francisco

Sthronds

<font color=blue>I can't make pancakes. It's just
My dad is turning 70 this year and he wants to go somewhere as a family in August but we just can't afford to go where he wants (London, Alaska, Tahiti). I thought maybe he would be ok with a well planned road trip up north. Here is my initial thoughts:

Leave San Luis Obispo for Monterey, spend one night.
Monterey to San Francisco for 2 nights
Then I get stuck. I would like to continue up the coast to areas we haven't been but I don't know where to stay the night. I am interested in Humbolt park or even as far north as Eureka but I just don't know if that is doable. I was also considering heading over to Napa where he could do a balloon ride, which would be special for him. It has been a long time since we were farther north than Vacaville so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

in napa you could stay at embassy suites it's nice and they have good rates-its a nice property and since you get a suite vs. the small rooms most of the places charge an arm and a leg for it can be a good value.
i actualy like to stay in calistoga-it's so small and pictureesque. it's a short hop to napa and st. helena, but it's a lower key enviornment. we stay at dr. wilkinson's. the standard rooms are not fancy, but they are well priced, comfortable and immaculatly kept up. they also have some victorian cottages that are supposed to be lovely. room stays there include use of the regular outside pool as well as the inside hot mineral pool (heavenly)-you can get some great room/spa packages too (ones for massages, facials, mud baths).

if you go up the coast and are willing to go as far as fort bragg (one of my favorite places) check out the cleone lodge-it's right outside of fort bragg and is a great property. the grounds are incredible and they have a variety of lodging choice (including multi-room cottages). a great thing to do in that area is to ride the skunk train, you can do the full trip to willits or just go to the mid point and turn around (stunning scenery).

i've never been there, but inn at the tides in bodega bay has always had a great reputation, and it's a shorter drive than fort bragg.

you could do your planned itinerary, spend a night at bodega bay and then cut over to napa (it's not a long drive) or calistoga for a day or 2. the drive on the back roads between the coast and napa are very pretty (lots of vineyards and pasture lands).

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll look into those places. :thumbsup2

Disnee Dad Says........................................

Bump. To see what other ideas there are.

BTW, you are from California, so you should know, in the wine country stay in Calistoga, St Helena, Rutherford and a hand full of other places.

We go to Napa for auto parts!

I would ditto St Helena (over Napa) and there are some beautiful resort spots in Bodega Bay (fireplaces in the rooms, view of the ocean).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter