• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to bring a friend in Canada from California?

Wouldn't bring the Ghiardelli Chocolate - we can buy that in and around Toronto.
I , also, am curious about what is so special about the sourdough bread now. And the See's Candy. :scratchin

Lindt owns the Ghirardelli brand now. It's still made in the same factory in the Bay Area, but the worldwide distribution has taken off. At least in the US it's widely available at Target and other national retailers.

I guess there are a bunch of different types of sourdough, but the kind we find locally is very unique. Boudin has its specific sourdough starter culture that they grow in San Francisco and distribute. They claim that trying to grow it in another location changes it, and that they have to replenish it with starter from San Francisco every 3 or so weeks.

I personally like Acme. It's a well known brand around here and distributed to many different restaurants and markets. They still have their original retail bakery which usually has a line out the door.

See's is just kind built on old-fashioned tradition. They've stayed with white boxes since I remember when I was a kid. The employees wear white uniforms with black trim. For the longest time I remember their stores didn't take credit cards but always accepted personal checks. It's mostly old fashioned chocolate covered centers as well as various candies such as toffee, sugar sticks, etc. Even though the price is high, anyone visiting can get a sample. They don't actually make the chocolate but buy from Guittard, which is just down the road from their factory in South San Francisco. They started in Los Angeles and still have their biggest factory there, although the South San Francisco factory is now their HQ. I've driven by the factory and it's really hard to miss. The strange thing is that they're owned by a rather large corporate entity - Berkshire Hathaway.

And the founders of See's were ironically enough Canadian.

With dreams of starting his own candy company in sunny California, Canadian chocolate salesman Charles A. See moved to Los Angeles with his family and widowed mother, Mary See. There, at 135 Western Avenue North, he opened the first See's shop, selling Mary's delicious confections made from her own original recipes.​

The I Love Lucy candy factory scene is supposedly at See's.

See's and Trader Joe's (snacks, candy, jam -- especially the cherry jam -- have friends abroad who go crazy for that!). Does your friend like Disney? Is there a little something that is Disneyland specific (e.g. a pin or YAH mug) that she might like to go with her goodies?

Well, we can get it here in AZ.....at Costco. They have Boudin.....love that stuff....but it is still SF sourdough ::yes::

That's more than we have here in Tennessee. Items claim it's sourdough, but it's tasteless and not worth buying again. Sprouts has had something acceptable but that's as close as we've found. The real stuff is no where :(

Definitely See's candy. It is a CA staple and not available in too many places.

Some great sourdough bread would be nice, but unless you buy it the day it's baked, it will be stale and no so great, plus it takes up a lot of space when you travel.

Some great sourdough bread would be nice, but unless you buy it the day it's baked, it will be stale and no so great, plus it takes up a lot of space when you travel.

Yes, I think I'm going to do See's. I'm appreciating the sourdough discussion, but I don't think I'm gonna bring my friend a loaf of bread.

Plus I can't even eat bread.

Another vote for See’s. My brother and I grew up in San Diego, and he now lives in Connecticut. He looks down on most everything SoCal now, except the craft beer, taco shops and See’s. I send him a two-pound box every year for his birthday (customized as his preference is soft centers). My niece told me when he receives the box, he hides it from the rest of the family. He’s a pip.

See's has shops in about two dozen states. Also in Asia. However, they have zero in Canada, which is kind of ironic given their Canadian origin.

See's Chocolates!

ETA: I went back and read the rest of the replies. I guess I'm not alone in my love of See's (I live in Canada). While you are in Canada, be sure to try some Purdy's Chocolates or Roger's Chocolates if you get a chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter