What Time to Arrive?

pkrieger2287

Senior Editor - DVC Fan
Hey Everyone - Wife and I will be visiting Disneyland for the first time later this week. We plan to get to the parks before opening each day... Just wondering how far before opening people recommend arriving in order to rope drop?

Hey Everyone - Wife and I will be visiting Disneyland for the first time later this week. We plan to get to the parks before opening each day... Just wondering how far before opening people recommend arriving in order to rope drop?
Where will you be arriving from? By car? By shuttle? Walking? That will help with answering this.

What do you wish to accomplish by arriving early?

Many folks arrive early because they have a tradition, be that riding a certain attraction first is the order of the day, every day, every visit.

Many folks arrive early because they have a tradition of a snapping a family photo, clear of folks, in the background.

Many folks like the momentary emptiness of Main Street, first in line for snacks.

Many folks use to arrive early to began fastpass collection, but that is seldom an issue now with Maxpass.

Then there are folks who have reported here that arrival time is of no consequence, that spending an hour in the magic outside of the gate and touching the rope has no advantage that can very well be attained entering 15 mins into the gate before rope drop

I would aim to be leaving your hotel about 45 minutes to an hour before park opening to give you time to walk and get through security.
I agree. But it does depend on your goals as related by @chickapin parterre. It also depends on park hours. MM at 7AM has less draw (harder for folks to get there early) than MM at 8AM or 9AM. For me I usually am only doing 7AM MM/EMH and when I really want to do something like PP, I try to hit security 45 minutes before MM starts. If I am not that interested I will do the 20-30 minutes early thing.

:wizard:

We were across the street on Harbor and left about 50 minutes before park opening. The earlier you leave, the shorter the bag check lines are.

If I want to be at the front of the pack on an 8 AM EMH morning, when do I want to arrive (coming from Grand Californian)? Probably will be trying to ride the Fantasyland rides first (but not set on Peter Pan).

If I want to be at the front of the pack on an 8 AM EMH morning, when do I want to arrive (coming from Grand Californian)? Probably will be trying to ride the Fantasyland rides first (but not set on Peter Pan).
We are doing this exact thing in a couple weeks but for a 7AM EMH. I am planning to leave the room around 6:10AM with the hope of being at the turnstiles near the front by 6:20AM.

What do you wish to accomplish by arriving early?

Many folks arrive early because they have a tradition, be that riding a certain attraction first is the order of the day, every day, every visit.

Many folks arrive early because they have a tradition of a snapping a family photo, clear of folks, in the background.

Many folks like the momentary emptiness of Main Street, first in line for snacks.

Many folks use to arrive early to began fastpass collection, but that is seldom an issue now with Maxpass.

Then there are folks who have reported here that arrival time is of no consequence, that spending an hour in the magic outside of the gate and touching the rope has no advantage that can very well be attained entering 15 mins into the gate before rope drop
Our main goal for the trip is basically tide as much as humanly possible... and eat some good food along the way.

Our main goal for the trip is basically tide as much as humanly possible... and eat some good food along the way.
I would suggest trying to reach security at least 45 minutes before the park opens if you want to maximize each day. Have a plan where you are going #1, 2 and 3. And a backup plan. :)

Agree with HydroGuy -- that will get you into the parks and into Fantasyland in plenty of time for rope drop. If you're trying to do PP first, or to get a photo of an empty park, etc., you would need to be there earlier.

I’m die hard rope drop. I love being there early...walking thru security with no lines. Hanging out at the gates chatting with other early arrivers. Being one of the firsts to walk down Main Street. Staying ahead of the crowds and enjoying shorter waits in the moring.

I arrive at the gates 1 hour before opening. 1-2 members of our group walks to La Brea and grabs breakfast. We eat in line while waiting for rope drop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter