What time to arrive for 9AM opening?

SteveMP

DIS Veteran
I have tickets and reservations for June 16th. They open at 9AM. But have been reading things here and there that say they have been openeing early, sometimes 8:30ish. It says on the website that Parking opens 30 minutes prior to park open. But I have heard that parking can take an hour or longer. I don’t want to be stuck waiting for the parking lot to open with kids in the car, but I hate to miss a possible early open(and this Rise of the Resistance queue). I have heard if you can wait, that the parking is much easier at 10 or 11, but that’s not an option for the wife and kids who are missing Disney a ton. Its about an hour and 45 minute drive for us, so just trying to figure out the best time to arrive. And if we do get stuck in a line in the car is there bathrooms nearby the kids can use after this long drive? Thanks!

No bathrooms until you park and take the escalators down. I would recommended a stop for restrooms prior to getting in the parking line because it can take upwards of 30 minutes. You have a long drive. Have you thought about getting a hotel room nearby for the night before ? Otherwise, you are in for a VERY long day.

Plan to arrive at the parking garage by 8am. That will get you to the gates before the official opening time.

Yesterday it took me 15 minutes from getting off the 5 till I was parked in the structure. I pulled off the 5 South at 7:50am and took the flyover bridge. I was parked by 8:05, through security and walking to DL by 8:15 (made a stop in the bathroom on the way down). I was in the park by 8:35 and went to ride HM and was off just before 9am.

I saw reports online that the structure opened at 7:30am yesterday.

There are bathrooms at the parking structure, they are behind the escalators for the Mickey and Friends structure.

I have tickets and reservations for June 16th. They open at 9AM. But have been reading things here and there that say they have been openeing early, sometimes 8:30ish. It says on the website that Parking opens 30 minutes prior to park open. But I have heard that parking can take an hour or longer. I don’t want to be stuck waiting for the parking lot to open with kids in the car, but I hate to miss a possible early open(and this Rise of the Resistance queue). I have heard if you can wait, that the parking is much easier at 10 or 11, but that’s not an option for the wife and kids who are missing Disney a ton. Its about an hour and 45 minute drive for us, so just trying to figure out the best time to arrive. And if we do get stuck in a line in the car is there bathrooms nearby the kids can use after this long drive? Thanks!

You're best option might be to park at GardenWalk and walk through the Harbor entrance. Several people on YouTube videos have said this was a quicker walk to the park entrances compared to parking in the Disney Parking lots and walking through Downtown Disney. From GardenWalk's website, looks like Theme Park Parking is $18 and all day parking is $30 (Guess that's for if you're planning to hang out at Downtown Disney after park closure).

You're best option might be to park at GardenWalk and walk through the Harbor entrance. Several people on YouTube videos have said this was a quicker walk to the park entrances compared to parking in the Disney Parking lots and walking through Downtown Disney. From GardenWalk's website, looks like Theme Park Parking is $18 and all day parking is $30 (Guess that's for if you're planning to hang out at Downtown Disney after park closure).
I had friends that parked at Garden Walk yesterday. They arrived at Garden Walk around 8:20 and got into the park at 9am.

Not sure what world some people are living in, but the Harbor entrance is absolutely horrible in the morning. We got there around 7:45ish both days, and it took over an hour to clear the security. The entire transit plaza is completely full of people, including the street where the Toy Story shuttles typically travel from once they cross over from Disney Way. I have no idea what the security is like from the main parking garage, but it is almost certainly much better than entering from Harbor Blvd.

Not sure what world some people are living in, but the Harbor entrance is absolutely horrible in the morning. We got there around 7:45ish both days, and it took over an hour to clear the security. The entire transit plaza is completely full of people, including the street where the Toy Story shuttles typically travel from once they cross over from Disney Way. I have no idea what the security is like from the main parking garage, but it is almost certainly much better than entering from Harbor Blvd.

Fresh Baked just recently did a video on "When to get to Disneyland and Rope Drop recon" Here's a quick breakdown of his experience for that day and maybe things were different on the days you arrived, as you did show up 15 minutes later (7:30am to 7:45ish)...

7:15am - He parked at GardenWalk and started walking on the Harbor Side

7:30am - Arrived at the Harbor side entrance

8:00am - Line started moving on the Harbor Side

8:15am - Made it to the Disneyland Esplanade for the early "rope drop" entrance.

Here's a link to the Fresh Baked video described above....

Based just on that video, looks like a 15 minute walk might be easier than dealing with the traffic with the parking structures, clearing that and walking the full length of Downtown Disney. So given both choices, GardenWalk might be the better option.

What time does Garden Walk parking open (specifically on Sundays)? Thanks.

I called the GardenWalk Parking phone number (714-860-4242) and the parking attendant said that parking is open 24 hours. I asked if I'm parking for Disneyland, is there any restrictions on how early I can arrive and he said no. He said feel free to arrive as early as you'd like.

Fresh Baked just recently did a video on "When to get to Disneyland and Rope Drop recon" Here's a quick breakdown of his experience for that day and maybe things were different on the days you arrived, as you did show up 15 minutes later (7:30am to 7:45ish)...

Based just on that video, looks like a 15 minute walk might be easier than dealing with the traffic with the parking structures, clearing that and walking the full length of Downtown Disney. So given both choices, GardenWalk might be the better option.

One important question is exactly when did this person go? If it was before they expanded from 25% to 35%, that could certainly account for some of discrepancy. If it was in the first couple weeks after opening, when crowds were even lighter, then it is completely meaningless. Right now, they are shown as sold out every day, so I would expect the same size of crowds until June 15, when even more people show up. I would definitely recommend being at the Harbor entrance by 7am if you plan to be in the park early.

One important question is exactly when did this person go? If it was before they expanded from 25% to 35%, that could certainly account for some of discrepancy. If it was in the first couple weeks after opening, when crowds were even lighter, then it is completely meaningless. Right now, they are shown as sold out every day, so I would expect the same size of crowds until June 15, when even more people show up. I would definitely recommend being at the Harbor entrance by 7am if you plan to be in the park early.

Looking on YouTube, that video was posted on Monday, May 17th and in the video he mentioned he arrived on Saturday to film. So the date he filmed that video should be Saturday, May 15th.

If you watch the video, the times you do arrive will effect when you enter the parks. He spent the whole morning just documenting the wait times. If you want to arrive early, his recommendations are still your best bets. The later you arrive, even if it's just 15 minutes later will effect when you do enter the parks. Just look at his video at the 3:10 minute mark, as guest who arrived 15 minutes after he did, now had to wait in the drop off area.

FYI, park capacity has been increased by at least 40% since May 15.

Capacity will increase at different dates.
Out of State visitors will be allowed back on June 15th
Park hours will have extended hours on July 1st

Point is to just use the information in the video as a guide. Personally my trip to DLR isn't till late July, so I'll adjust my plans accordingly to the dates I plan to attend.

For example, currently the parks open at 9:00AM but on a regular basis, they have been letting people in at 8:15am. So if you wanted to enter that early, you should arrive at the Harbor entrance around 7:15am. Since my trip is AFTER the parks have extended hours, I'm just going to adjust those guides to an hour earlier. So if in July, the parks open at 8:00am, I'm "guessing/hoping" they let people in at 7:15am. So if I wanted to enter that early, I'll be arriving at the Harbor entrance around 6:15am.

Will that info be accurate at that time? LOL....who knows? I'm just using all the information listed on this board, YouTube and other sources as reference to best aid in my personal decisions that day.

What are the hours for "theme park parking" and is there anything special we have to do get that price? Last I looked at the website, it looked like hotel patrons got some sort of discount, but I couldn't figure out which hotels.

ETA: Never mind, found it! Thanks for mentioning this. It wasn't on the website last time I looked.

It very well may have been the time you got there. I've heard before 7:30 goes much faster than after. So I'm guessing that even though 7:45 is still early, it was still too late to beat the crowds. I read reports from over the weekend, that being there before 7:30 worked out great.

Capacity will increase at different dates.
Out of State visitors will be allowed back on June 15th
Park hours will have extended hours on July 1st

Point is to just use the information in the video as a guide. Personally my trip to DLR isn't till late July, so I'll adjust my plans accordingly to the dates I plan to attend.

For example, currently the parks open at 9:00AM but on a regular basis, they have been letting people in at 8:15am. So if you wanted to enter that early, you should arrive at the Harbor entrance around 7:15am. Since my trip is AFTER the parks have extended hours, I'm just going to adjust those guides to an hour earlier. So if in July, the parks open at 8:00am, I'm "guessing/hoping" they let people in at 7:15am. So if I wanted to enter that early, I'll be arriving at the Harbor entrance around 6:15am.

Will that info be accurate at that time? LOL....who knows? I'm just using all the information listed on this board, YouTube and other sources as reference to best aid in my personal decisions that day.
Yeah, that's my plan for my trip in July. Get there at 6:15am. Won't be too hard coming from the East Coast- it'll be 9:15 for me!

Yeah, that's my plan for my trip in July. Get there at 6:15am. Won't be too hard coming from the East Coast- it'll be 9:15 for me!
Exactly, east coaster myself and waking up at 5:30am pst which is 8:30am est would be super easy for us. Eat a quick breakfast, we'll have breakfast bakery items from Porto's Bakery, and then go to Harbor entrance around 6:15am. Then while in line, either my wife or I will make a coffee run.

We parked at Gardenwalk on Thursday. The “theme park parking” rate was on the website, but at the actual parking garage, it’s papered over with “convention center parking” for $18, and we couldn’t figure out how to get it. So we just paid $30. 🤷‍♀️

We parked at about 7:40, were in the crazy-looking Harbor security line at about 7:55, and were inside the park by 8:22. So it definitely didn’t take us anything like an hour to clear security, even though we were in the “overflow” area when we first got there.

We knew people who parked at Mickey and Friends on Wednesday and said they “got to parking” at 7:50 and didn’t get in the park until 9:20. So my experience the next day at Gardenwalk was much better than theirs.🤷‍♀️

We parked at Gardenwalk on Thursday. The “theme park parking” rate was on the website, but at the actual parking garage, it’s papered over with “convention center parking” for $18, and we couldn’t figure out how to get it. So we just paid $30. 🤷‍♀️

We parked at about 7:40, were in the crazy-looking Harbor security line at about 7:55, and were inside the park by 8:22. So it definitely didn’t take us anything like an hour to clear security, even though we were in the “overflow” area when we first got there.

We knew people who parked at Mickey and Friends on Wednesday and said they “got to parking” at 7:50 and didn’t get in the park until 9:20. So my experience the next day at Gardenwalk was much better than theirs.🤷‍♀️
Your experience makes me want to stick to my Gardenwalk plan next week. I hope it works out for us too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter