What time to arrive at MCO?

How far in advance of the flight to arrive?

• 2 hours

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • 2 hours, 15 minutes

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 2 hours, 30 minutes

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • 2 hours, 45 minutes

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • 3 hours

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • other

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
Given the following conditions, how far in advance of your flight would you plan on arriving at MCO?

* Return rental Car
* Need to check bags (Delta)
* 2 adults, 2 teenagers, 1 preteen
* No precheck
* Midday departure

As few as 5 years ago, I planned on arriving 2 hours before (and it worked fine). Is that still valid?

DME has nothing to do with this.

What specific time is your flight? I think that helps put it into better context than X hours before.

What specific time is your flight? I think that helps put it into better context than X hours before.
Really? So if the flight is at 11am, you'd show up at a certain time (let's say 2 hours before), but if the flight was at 3pm, you'd show up a different time?

Our flight's not booked yet, but I'm leaning toward an 11am on a Monday.

Really? So if the flight is at 11am, you'd show up at a certain time (let's say 2 hours before), but if the flight was at 3pm, you'd show up a different time?

Yeah, sometimes, but I also think having actual times could be helpful in working backward and arriving at an answer. That's just the way my brain works though.

I opted for 3 hours. The security lines at MCO can be formidable unless you are enrolled in TSA Pre-Check. But I like to give myself extra time; not everyone thinks that’s necessary. It just reduces the stress of travel for me.

I'm a local who flys in/out of MCO fairly routinely

I want to be IN the terminal with 2 hours to go - I have TSA pre and this assumes I will not be checking bags

If I'm checking bags, or know TSA pre will not apply (not all airlines qualify), or there is another special case (international) I'll add an hour

dropping off a rental AT MCO usually takes 5 minutes and the walk to the terminal is no worse than if you parked in most cases. If your company is off site ... that's a different story ....

even with this level of padding, more than once I've been sprinting thru the terminal to arrive at the gate moments b4 they closed the door . . .

Orlando traffic and the security lines at MCO can be a vacation event of their own!!!!

We fly out of MCO Saturday. We will be in terminal 3 hours early and we have renal. Last year almost 45 minutes in security line on Friday afternoon.

Think families with tired kids, people who don't travel and are not familiar with what to do. Family in front of us was like that.

It's personal but do you want to miss plane because of overweight bags, slow TSA and clueless travelers not prepared?

Monday was a key part of your statement. Arrive early that's a busy travel day.

There's a reason that when the Clear people went back into business one of the very first airports they opened at was MCO. (Probably qualifies as one of the worst run airports in the US IMHO)

So glad I saw this. We fly home on a Sunday at 7:15 am We will be at a hotel 6min away from mco. The hotels first shuttle leaves at 5am for the airport now I am nervous that I am not giving myself enough time. Should I give myself 3 hrs?

Our flight leaves at 6am and we will be getting there 4hrs early - I would rather have extra time waiting at the gate than run into problems like traffic, security, etc...

I went with 2 hrs. 15 mins. Returning the car is fairly quick, as is the walk over to the terminal. Checking the bags and security can take some time though. With TSA precheck and being able to check my bags at my resort, I usually try to get to the airport about 90 mins prior.

I agree with @FCDub that knowing what flight time does make it difference. As far as your question, it makes a difference two fold.

1) Knowing the time of your flight does indeed affect arrival time at the airport. If you booked a 3:00 p.m. flight, that is mid-afternoon when most people fly so I would tell you to arrive at MCO 3 hours prior. On the other hand, if you booked a 10:00 a.m. or 7:00 p.m. flight, then those times tend to be less traveled times and therefore I would recommend that you arrive 2 hours prior.

2) Knowing the time of your flight helps other people answer your question with direct estimated times instead of people saying that it depends on your flight departure time.

Thank you all for the answers. We've decided to go through Tampa. It's slightly more expensive and an hour more of travel, but the flight times are SO much better (and rental car is cheaper).

Others may want the information though.

So glad I saw this. We fly home on a Sunday at 7:15 am We will be at a hotel 6min away from mco. The hotels first shuttle leaves at 5am for the airport now I am nervous that I am not giving myself enough time. Should I give myself 3 hrs?

Sounds like you'd get to the airport about 5:15. I would think two hours ahead of time would be ample. We once flew out of MCO on a Sunday morning. Security was very light.

Our flight leaves at 6am and we will be getting there 4hrs early - I would rather have extra time waiting at the gate than run into problems like traffic, security, etc...

Are you getting to the airport at 2 AM? I'm not sure what time security even opens at MCO? I'm pretty sure most airline counters wouldn't open up much before 4 AM . If you are that antsy, I may go with 3:30 AM. I wouldn't get there before 4.

Took very long time when we had to check bags inside at Delta counter in late April (2018). Can't remember why we didn't SkyCap. RAC wasn't an option for us. We always SkyCap in the past so if that's available for sure YMMV, but the security line was really slow too. It was not near Easter (parks were fairly low crowds).

Are you getting to the airport at 2 AM? I'm not sure what time security even opens at MCO? I'm pretty sure most airline counters wouldn't open up much before 4 AM . If you are that antsy, I may go with 3:30 AM. I wouldn't get there before 4.

YUP!! And yes - security is running at 2am - we sont need the flight desks since we travel purely with carryons

We flew out this morning. Flight 1035am. We left hotel on Gateway circle 735am. Returned car to Alamo and then checked in at SW. Security line said 8-12 minutes. They just opened another 'lane' when we got there so it took about 10 minutes. At gate 810.

But after about 15 minutes of sitting near mostly 1/3 full gates the masses arrived. I can't imagine how security was.

I said 2.5 hours - this gives you 30 minutes to check the car back in and it can take every bit of that to check the car and then get yourself checked in. TSA is a bear in Orlando and over the last several trips I have NEVER not had at least a 40 minute wait time. It's daunting.

Hmmm... 7:45am flight on Tuesday, August 28. Flying Southwest, checking a bag, no TSA pre-check that I know of yet- but we often get lucky! Trying to decide between Magical Express (which would be about a 4:45am pick up) or Uber (hoping for for 5:15am pick up). If we Uber, is that enough time? I mean... how many people travel on a Tuesday?

I have always had(and I know I just jinxed myself!!!) good luck at MCO and like Goofy4tink (Hi Diane!!! Been a long time since I've been on. How's your daughter?) arrive no more than 90 minutes early. Have never needed more than an hour to check my bags with SWA, clear security, take a potty break & get to my gate in time for boarding. And forget my home airport (Hartford CT). I can go from drop off to gate in 10 minutes there!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter