What specific instructions do you give your kids

Rules I had that I don't see listed already:

1. If you want to leave an area, you must message me first and get an acknowledgment from me BEFORE you leave. I have to know where you are at ALL times.

2. If I check on you and you are not where you are supposed to be, you lose all freedom for the rest of the trip.

The rest of my rules were like the other posts. :thumbsup2

I love this first one, I think it will be really useful.

A couple people mentioned leaving the kids club/lab. Is this allowed? Is there a minimum age that they can elect to leave? Our children will be seven when we cruise, and I do not want them leaving the kids area unless we specifically come and get them.

on that same note, I’m curious what age others begin give kids a little freedom on ships.

A couple people mentioned leaving the kids club/lab. Is this allowed? Is there a minimum age that they can elect to leave? Our children will be seven when we cruise, and I do not want them leaving the kids area unless we specifically come and get them.

Parents/guardians may, but are not required to, grant permission for kids to check themselves out of the Oceaneers Club/Lab starting around age 8. If you don’t give permission, they can’t leave without being picked up by someone authorized to sign them out.

Kids participating in Edge do not get checked out, so 11-12 year olds participating in both Edge and Oceaneers must be given check-out permission from Oceaneers.

Rules I had that I don't see listed already:

1. If you want to leave an area, you must message me first and get an acknowledgment from me BEFORE you leave. I have to know where you are at ALL times.

2. If I check on you and you are not where you are supposed to be, you lose all freedom for the rest of the trip.

The rest of my rules were like the other posts. :thumbsup2
We sailed with Princess this summer and one thing I really liked was the ability to see where people were on the ship via the app. Super helpful for tracking a kid, although it lagged by a few minutes so we had a few frustrating times when we were trying to go get her and couldn't catch her.

The Princess app unfortunately doesn't alert you to messages, which exacerbated the locater lag. If I could combine that locator feature with the DCL Navigator app's fairly reliable notifications, I'd be all set!

Another thing I have not seen mentioned is language use in common areas. There was a group of teen boys on our last sailing that had some loud potty mouths.
That's something I haven't encountered on DCL (the parks are a different story). I even watched a group of loud pre-teen/teens (anyone under 25 looks 15 to me, sorry) for a minute to see what happened, and while they were kind of rowdy, I didn't hear any language. It was in the midship elevator lobby on the pool deck, so the noise wasn't really an issue either.

Another tip that some adults don’t follow … elevator etiquette
Wait until people get off before getting on!!!
Take your turn if people have been waiting don’t push ahead of them.

Another tip that some adults don’t follow … elevator etiquette
Wait until people get off before getting on!!!
Take your turn if people have been waiting don’t push ahead of them.
Yeah, mostly people are good about this, but I've seen the occasional adult acting like a fool.

Ours is 12. I gave him an old cellphone to use onboard (he doesn't have one otherwise) and he texts us when he changes location. I'm comfortable with him going to the pool/aquaduck without us, but my wife isn't, so that's pretty much the only off-limits area. He is in the overlap age so he bounces between edge/oceaneer's with the occasional midship detective. If we want him to join us somewhere we'll either tell him to meet us or invite him, depending on how mandatory we want to make it. Otherwise, it's basic behave in public rules. No shouting, watch out for others, don't run, don't go to stateroom decks because there's nothing fun there anyway.
I have an old iphone that my daughter uses to watch movies. It's still connected to my icloud account, would she be able to bring it and use the DCL app to message us or would it be messed up and think we're both signed into the same account. Does that make sense?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter