What should I do during solo time?

meagarunt22

Obsessed
I will have lots of morning-1pm solo time while my kid is at a dance conference in June. I'm very versed in all the things to do but have NEVER been to the parks alone and I'm so excited to take it slow.

I plan on meandering and taking lots of coffee/people watching breaks. Enjoying main street and the pavilions is also a given. Maybe go see the horses at Fort Wilderness. I really can't think of anything I want to do on my own that I haven't done with my family so if you can think of anything that is just better with no distractions and no one tugging me toward the next ride I'd LOVE your ideas.

EPCOT is my suggestion for a walk around World Showcase. I only did one solo trip as a featured artist at The American Adventure Pavillion. After we wrapped for the day, I would walk around do a deep dive into a Pavillion or two enjoying the architecture, artwork and fine details of construction. It was amazing to do this without any distractions!

Enjoy!

AK animal trails , drinks at Nomad lounge, sleep in, breakfast at one of the resorts, a tour like Behind the Seeds, Keys to the Kingdom, one of the animal ones, spa day, lazy pool day

AK animal trails , drinks at Nomad lounge, sleep in, breakfast at one of the resorts, a tour like Behind the Seeds, Keys to the Kingdom, one of the animal ones, spa day, lazy pool day
Behind the Seeds!! I've always wanted to do that and my husband might kill me for doing it without him but I am definitely booking that one. Never been to Nomad Lounge either so that's a great suggestion. Thank you for your reply!

The answer is anything you want to do. I go solo at least once a year, sometimes more. Keep in mind, if you are only solo until 1, WS doesn't open until 11. I find my solo trips are just more relaxing. I don't ever have a "thing" in mind as to what to do, I just go where my feet take me. With all day park hopping back it's even easier. A typical morning for me might be: at MK get there shortly after early entry for resort guests and pick a ride to ride. Might be PP, might be 7 Dwarves, heck it might be Peoplemover. After that the park is probably open so I'll go ride Jungle Cruise. Then I'll go over to Adventureland and grab a coffee and breakfast sandwich at the little stand and sit on one of the platforms and eat my breakfast and watch the people. After that, maybe I'll ride a ride or just walk around and enjoy the sites and sounds. I love riding the train in MK, not something my son or his family like to do. If I'm starting at AK, I'll ride Navi then walk toward Africa and grab breakfast and sit and watch the people then ride Safari. I might catch a show after that or maybe even two shows. Lunch at Nomad Lounge is a must. I love walking on all the trails at AK, especially the ones around the Tree of Life. At HS, I'll probably ride ToT or SDD then grab breakfast (see a pattern here) sit and watch the people. Catch a show (see a pattern). I love to just walk around HS and take it all in. Lunch at HBD Lounge is a must, bonus lunch and people watching. I rarely go to Epcot in the mornings but if I do I'll ride a ride, grab breakfast at France which opens early, rinse and repeat.

I've done behind the seeds twice, it's cute and obviously I enjoy it. The key is, you do whatever you want, want to ride a ride, do it. Want to just sit and people watch, do it. Want to sit on a bench in WS in front of one of the countries and just take in the detail, do it. Want to go in each and every shop, do it. Want to talk to a CM on one of the trails at AK, do it. Want to stay in the room and if you have a balcony sit and enjoy a cup of coffee and watch the resort wake up. Do it.

One of my favorite things to do is grab my Kindle, pick up a QS meal of some kind, and take the raft over to Tom Sawyer Island. There’s comfy seating at Aunt Betty’s, the views and ambiance are so relaxing.

The answer is anything you want to do.

The key is, you do whatever you want, want to ride a ride, do it. Want to just sit and people watch, do it. Want to sit on a bench in WS in front of one of the countries and just take in the detail, do it. Want to go in each and every shop, do it. Want to talk to a CM on one of the trails at AK, do it. Want to stay in the room and if you have a balcony sit and enjoy a cup of coffee and watch the resort wake up. Do it.
I completely agree with @loves to dive that you should just do what makes you happy. I know we are all guilty of trying to make sure everyone else in the group is happy and having a good time. So, to have the opportunity to just focus on you and what makes you happy is such a treat!

My advice would be to have some sort of a plan, even if it is as simple as "I am going to go get something to eat for breakfast and then watch people", because, being the sole opinion holder and the sole decision maker can be exhausting!

Also, just know that whatever you decide to do is not a waste of your alone time in WDW.

As an actual answer to your question, I would look at what there is to do and see if there is something that you normally don't do because of your group. For me, I really enjoy meeting characters (if they have a short enough line). I'd also say that taking a fun mode of transportation (skyliner/monorail/boat) to a resort for an early lunch can be fun! I took the monorail from MK to Poly for a kid's meal from Kona to go and back to MK during my 1 solo day. Round trip was an hour and a half (including eating and pin trading). If you find yourself at DAK, I cannot recommend Winged Encounters enough. I agree with the Nomad recommendation. Also, wandering around the tree of life with a drink in hand (my tradition is a pink drink from Starbucks) is a super solid choice. This might not be a super popular piece of advice, but I have a lot of fun using the PlayDisney app in the parks. Specifically in DHS and EPCOT because they have interactive games within different lands. It makes me feel very much like a kid playing to "hack" spaceships or to help with the spy missions in the country pavilions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter