What sets off the detectors?

Does your Baggalini have a security strap? I have a travel bag that has metal in the strap to prevent people from cutting the strap and stealing the bag. Does it potentially have a security pocket that blocks RFID? I wonder it those can be an issue.

No RFID block--the bag is quite old but in great shape. The cross body portion has a zippered pocket for eyeglasses (which I never use for fear of crushing the glasses) and I did point that out to security and they didn't *think* that would be a problem. Personally, I feel that area which also has very large, thick metal rings which allow strap adjustment along with the zippered pocket is to blame. :confused3

No RFID block--the bag is quite old but in great shape. The cross body portion has a zippered pocket for eyeglasses (which I never use for fear of crushing the glasses) and I did point that out to security and they didn't *think* that would be a problem. Personally, I feel that area which also has very large, thick metal rings which allow strap adjustment along with the zippered pocket is to blame. :confused3
I think security doesn’t know much sometimes. They refused to believe that my big DSLR camera, 3 lenses, and tripod could set it off. So, I had to take everything, I mean even the packet of lens cleaning tissues, out of my camera backpack. They wanted me to remove the velcro padded dividers too:confused3 If they had said they needed to see everything, I could have understood, but they just kept saying that nothing I had should have set it off.

It was our umbrella. Our first time going through the new scanners we got pulled. Security went through my bag (actually he made me go through my bag) and he said he had no idea what was setting it off. The next time we came in, a different CM went through the bag and told me it was either the umbrella or my battery powered fan. We'd just take them out every time and never had an issue. Our last day I was curious so I left the fan in my bag, still removed the umbrella, and we went through just fine. I love the new scanners!

I think security doesn’t know much sometimes. They refused to believe that my big DSLR camera, 3 lenses, and tripod could set it off. So, I had to take everything, I mean even the packet of lens cleaning tissues, out of my camera backpack. They wanted me to remove the velcro padded dividers too:confused3 If they had said they needed to see everything, I could have understood, but they just kept saying that nothing I had should have set it off.
Disney is without a doubt the "friendliest" place to visit for us photographers. /s I hate that they can't figure out that something as simple as a camera is setting it off. I miss the pre 9/11 days of Disney. Heck, I even miss the bag check only days of Disney pre 2015.

The bag itself. Long story short--because I have shared it ad nauseum on other threads, my bag sets off the scanners every. single. time. It is so annoying.

Did a test on a quiet evening at EPCOT security. Removed everything from the bag. I walked through the scanner without the bag--no signal. I took the empty bag and walked through the scanner and set it off even though there wasn't a thing in it. Exceedingly annoying because I love (and have used for many, many years) my Baggallini.

It is pictured in my avatar (or at least the cross body strap is). Security tried to tell me to remove my camera, eyeglass case, yadayadayada. . .I did it and no help--kept telling them it was none of those items and it was proven when everything was piled on the security table and the empty bag set the scanner off. I know, because we tested it, that it is nothing I have in the bag--now I just walk to the security table without even being sent.

I have the same problem! Except mine is an older LL Bean crossbody bag. Our last trip I only had tissues, hand sanitizer, and a few bandaids in it to test it out and it was still flagged. The security officer had no idea, only responded with we just want to keep everyone safe. It gets flagged every single time. Before this new system on previous trips when they went through bags at the tables they would take everything out every time! I think it doesn’t get flagged so much by the technology as it does just by the observation because when I walk through there seems to be a delay when I think , ok, not flagged then at least two people quickly approach me to take it over to the table. I have had several random people (not security) say they think it looks like a concealed carry bag (I don’t even own a weapon ) so that warrants the extra look. But, I love the functionality of the bag, the extra spots for a pen and paper, and it was the perfect size for a few diapers and some wipes. we are thinking now that the kids are older I may have to retire that bag as our Disney bag and look for something else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter