• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What sets off the detectors?

My umbrella set off at Springs yesterday (my bad for forgetting to pull it out). I chatted with the security guard, and he said metal water bottles and metal glasses cases will set off as well, so to hold them out in front.. My knee replacement doesn't set off at Disney, but does every time we go to dinner at Universal City Walk. I've gotten to the point where I just hold up my leg so they can see the six inch long scar on my knee.

My hard sunglasses case has set it off every time this week. I made my husband open and carry it in front of him while I carry the bag, so they wave him on through and we don’t have to be stopped. It’s worked so far.

Altoids tin and portable battery set it off for me. So now I just hold those out in front of me along with my cane and I've been good.

They told me metal water bottles and umbrellas will set it off too.

If carry a lot of pins for trading in small bag it will do it. My wife separated them into couple smaller ones and didn't go off anymore on last trip.

The bag itself. Long story short--because I have shared it ad nauseum on other threads, my bag sets off the scanners every. single. time. It is so annoying.

Did a test on a quiet evening at EPCOT security. Removed everything from the bag. I walked through the scanner without the bag--no signal. I took the empty bag and walked through the scanner and set it off even though there wasn't a thing in it. Exceedingly annoying because I love (and have used for many, many years) my Baggallini.

It is pictured in my avatar (or at least the cross body strap is). Security tried to tell me to remove my camera, eyeglass case, yadayadayada. . .I did it and no help--kept telling them it was none of those items and it was proven when everything was piled on the security table and the empty bag set the scanner off. I know, because we tested it, that it is nothing I have in the bag--now I just walk to the security table without even being sent.

metal containers (mint boxes, hard-shell eyeglass cases, umbrellas, some water bottles,

For me, it was my camera, phone charger and umbrella. Got stopped once. After that, just took them out before the scanners and held them out in front of me and never got stopped again.

How about Disney pins? Are they a problem, I have a few attached to the bag I plan to carry in the parks, but will leave them at home, if they're a problem. Anyone know?

disney pins no longer set them off; i used to have remove my lanyard with 8 or 10 pins on it, but not on the last couple of trips

On our last Disney trip, my husband's artificial hips got him waved aside and wanded every single time we tried to enter a park.

Has anyone taken an insulin pen and other diabetic supplies through the new security scanners? I guess we could put the insulin pen, pen needles, and rescue glucagon in a plastic bag and hold it out if necessary, but I'd like to leave all that packed in her bag if possible. We haven't been in a few years but are planning a trip next year. I am trying to plan ahead!

In June, our hard sunglasses cases and sunblock set it off. I had a evc so we just put the sunglasses and sunblock in the basket without an issue.

Last trip, bag only set off the the last day, not sure why. I though it was the car key but just remember it wasn’t an issue at the same park on our first day

I don't know what was setting it off last time. I didn't have an umbrella, glasses case, or phone charger/battery. I decided to pull out my little bags with coins for penny presses and a little bag of pins for trading. I held them up. I don't know if it still triggered, but I didn't get pulled over.

Droids from Galaxy's Edge set them off. If you have a BB unit, you need to have it taken apart for the search. Usually the R2 units do not need to be removed from the droid backpacks, but once last trip they made my son remove his R2 unit. The BB units always have to be removed with the gyro out of the shell.

Phone battery charger. We just started taking them out of our bags and holding them in front of us as we went through, per Disney security recommendations.

The bag itself. Long story short--because I have shared it ad nauseum on other threads, my bag sets off the scanners every. single. time. It is so annoying.

Did a test on a quiet evening at EPCOT security. Removed everything from the bag. I walked through the scanner without the bag--no signal. I took the empty bag and walked through the scanner and set it off even though there wasn't a thing in it. Exceedingly annoying because I love (and have used for many, many years) my Baggallini.

It is pictured in my avatar (or at least the cross body strap is). Security tried to tell me to remove my camera, eyeglass case, yadayadayada. . .I did it and no help--kept telling them it was none of those items and it was proven when everything was piled on the security table and the empty bag set the scanner off. I know, because we tested it, that it is nothing I have in the bag--now I just walk to the security table without even being sent.
Does your Baggalini have a security strap? I have a travel bag that has metal in the strap to prevent people from cutting the strap and stealing the bag. Does it potentially have a security pocket that blocks RFID? I wonder it those can be an issue.

My camera bag sets it off every time at every park. It's to the point that I go to the detector nearest bag check and head there without being asked. On rare occasions, my pacemaker will set off the detectors, not only at Disney but at stores and the airport as well.

We had a nine day trip in August. I had aerosol sunscreen and a battery charger for my phone in my bag every day and only set off the detectors one time.

I recently got a cochlear implant (magnet in my head) and I know I need to avoid the airport scanner for the alternate stuff. Does anyone know if this will happen at Disney too? Can I just avoid it and go straight somewhere for an alternate thing? Bag check, wand...?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter