• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What sets off the detectors?

Cameras, batteries, charging devices, umbrellas.
Got caught the first time through. After that, I held the camera, charger and umbrella in front of me and never go stopped again for a week.
YMMV.

Why do glasses cases that look suspicious ? Never heard of that until Disney .

Hard glasses cases contain metal and are dense. Fabric ones should be fine.

Umbrellas, mint tins, charging bricks, metal water bottles, and metal glasses cases set off the detector unless you're holding them in front of you so they can see the items.

My knee brace that had a gel pad set it off each time my daughter and I went through security. I was on crutches end of June/beginning of July pre surgery. Oddly enough only at Hollywood Studios did they pull me aside and use the hand wand all the other parks just waved me on.

My husband had nothing on him except an umbrella yesterday, which he was holding in his hand, and he got pulled aside. The security person said that he needs to hold it straight out in front of him while walking through, not holding it down (as one normally would hold a closed umbrella while walking).

We have been having a problem with our diaper bag setting off the detectors for a few months now. Prior to that, it never got flagged. I asked what could possibly be setting it off, and the only thing the security guard could pinpoint were the cans of sunblock and bug spray that were stuffed together in a side pocket. There's nothing electronic or metal in that bag. Next trip, we're going to put those cans in the stroller and see if the guest is correct!

Our phone chargers never went off and never got flagged. I always held my umbrella out in front of me, and my dd was flagged for her sunglass case the first day. She stopped bringing it with her after that.

I got pulled aside a couple times and the best we could figure was it was something about the charger or my phone. The security guy said neither should be setting it off but to hold them out in front of me and off to the side a little while going through so security can see exactly what was setting it off. I tried leaving my charger in my bag and just holding up my phone and that worked. No one else's phone in our family was setting it off (one even has the same exact phone). The best I could figure was it was a magnetic piece I have on the back of my phone for use with my phone holder in my car.

My glasses case. Once I started holding it in front of me, the scanners would still go off, but they started waving me through.

Does metal in your body set off the scanners. I recently had some surgery and they left 3 metal clips inside. Will I have a problem with the scanners?

Hard cases usually contain metal, for durability in protecting the glasses. The system may interpret as concealment and or high metal content, and flag for human inspection.

We have been having a problem with our diaper bag setting off the detectors for a few months now. Prior to that, it never got flagged. I asked what could possibly be setting it off, and the only thing the security guard could pinpoint were the cans of sunblock and bug spray that were stuffed together in a side pocket. There's nothing electronic or metal in that bag. Next trip, we're going to put those cans in the stroller and see if the guest is correct!

update on this: we took out the sunblock and big spray and the diaper bag did not set off security!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter