• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Roy Disney's granddaughter has to say about Iger

It doesn't matter what the average hourly wage is. We know that the starting salary is still below a living wage for a resort area because they fell all over themselves to tout the fact that they'd be raising the starting minimum to $15 three years from now.

Toilets need cleaning. You want someone to do it? Pay them what they need to support their life. That includes raising families. And decent non-temporary housing. And healthcare. That's part of life.

I still have the same attitude as I did before prior to her "under cover" experience at Disneyland. She's 59 years old, her father is Roy E Disney, the same man who created SaveDisney.com and wanted Michael Eisner gone from the CEO position. Which were for completely different reasons, but regardless, her now speaking up equals one of two things, she didn't care enough to speak of this previously, or was completely oblivious and blind. Due to father's involvement in the company it essentially equals to one conclusion, or another in my opinion.

Regardless of whether Disney is "right, or "wrong", Disney's CEO pays has always been substantial and the pay gap has been this way. All these things she is complaining about have been happening for decades. I know this and I'm half her age. So, taking the debate on whether Disney is justified, or not out, her now speaking up about it makes her look either careless, or oblivious.

Last edited:
I find it absolutely hilarious that so many CHOOSE to find fault in Ms Disney and not in this beloved company. I swear, the company could pay .5 an hour and work them 90 hours a week with no overtime pay and some of you would still say "but. . . but. . . but. . ." and go on to defend it.

She can choose to complain any time she wants to. Just as I can or you can or anyone else on the planet. Having the last name Disney does not take that right away. NOW is when she has spoken up, so perhaps NOW is the right time.

I agree with you about the average salary. That's a number they can throw about that actually means nothing.

You lost me at a company paying people what they need to support their life. A company pays what they deem a position is worth, a worker can take it or look elsewhere. If people won't take whats offered, then either the company needs to offer more or the job doesn't get done. A person needs to take personal responsibility for their life, it's not up to Corporate America or the Govt to support you.

Workers need to take responsibility for their situation. Disney is a company they promotes from within, you want more money? Work hard, do your job well and move up in the company. I know several drivers back when I worked for the company who moved into managers or coordinators roles. One girl wasn't a driver more than a year before she promoted into a managers role. She was a good driver and worked hard.

I agree with you about the average salary. That's a number they can throw about that actually means nothing.

You lost me at a company paying people what they need to support their life. A company pays what they deem a position is worth, a worker can take it or look elsewhere. If people won't take whats offered, then either the company needs to offer more or the job doesn't get done. A person needs to take personal responsibility for their life, it's not up to Corporate America or the Govt to support you.

Workers need to take responsibility for their situation. Disney is a company they promotes from within, you want more money? Work hard, do your job well and move up in the company. I know several drivers back when I worked for the company who moved into managers or coordinators roles. One girl wasn't a driver more than a year before she promoted into a managers role. She was a good driver and worked hard.

And companies, especially those as large as Disney, need to take some responsibility too and stop blaming the employees that they aren't "working hard enough" or "doing their job well enough". Have a starting pay that gives them a living wage. Its not like having food and a roof is going to keep people from wanting to do better or make more.

Corporate America isn't supporting anyone. They are paying for a job to be done. And if THEY would pay a decent wage, the government could possibly get out of the business of supporting people.

She can choose to complain any time she wants to. Just as I can or you can or anyone else on the planet. Having the last name Disney does not take that right away. NOW is when she has spoken up, so perhaps NOW is the right time.

Never mind, she's got three options, didn't care, oblivious, or coward. I don't know which option is "worse", however basing on her original comments I would say coward.

Yes, it's nice "Ms Disney" finally spoke up, but her father had been fighting for quite sometime on different matters prior to his death and she wasn't young when that was happening either. Also, the fact that when this was first initially reported in April (I'm referencing her original comments, not the undercover article) she had to add in the comment that she "liked Bob". You either want to speak up about something that you consider is wrong, or hush up about it to be liked by certain individuals. You can't have both ways.

Yes, there are moments in which you choose to speak up and moments in which you back down. I've done it myself. We all do it. However, once I decide the path I take, I go forward.

Is it nice she finally said something? Yes. Do I take her seriously? No.

The company needs toilets cleaned. They are willing to only pay minimum wage, and schedule less than 20 hours week. Who are we to demand that compensation is enough to support car and house payments, cell phone and Internet, school clothes for a family of four, groceries and utilities in ANY MARKET, much less in the Orlando area? The whole idea is ridiculous.

The company needs toilets cleaned. They are willing to only pay minimum wage, and schedule less than 20 hours week. Who are we to demand that compensation is enough to support car and house payments, cell phone and Internet, school clothes for a family of four, groceries and utilities in ANY MARKET, much less in the Orlando area? The whole idea is ridiculous.

Where did anyone say any of that? Food, shelter, clothing. Basic needs.

And since the company is IN the Orlando area, wouldn't it stand to reason that the employees would LIVE in the Orlando area? To say its ridiculous to expect an Orlando business to pay enough for someone to at least buy food and shelter in the Orlando area makes absolutely no sense to me.

Never mind, she's got three options, didn't care, oblivious, or coward. I don't know which option is "worse", however basing on her original comments I would say coward.

Yes, it's nice "Ms Disney" finally spoke up, but her father had been fighting for quite sometime on different matters prior to his death and she wasn't young when that was happening either. Also, the fact that when this was first initially reported in April (I'm referencing her original comments, not the undercover article) she had to add in the comment that she "liked Bob". You either want to speak up about something that you consider is wrong, or hush up about it to be liked by certain individuals. You can't have both ways.

Yes, there are moments in which you choose to speak up and moments in which you back down. I've done it myself. We all do it. However, once I decide the path I take, I go forward.

Is it nice she finally said something? Yes. Do I take her seriously? No.

So she shouldn't be taken seriously because you don't agree with her timing?

And what difference does it make if she says she likes Bob? Should she hate the man? One can personally like someone and even like the job they are doing without agreeing with the ridiculous amount of pay they are getting.

I looked up some things about savedisney.com to make sure, but the stand she is taking now has nothing to do with that. The first time it started was to stop a hostile takeover and then to get rid of Eisner. So, what is your connection between her complain about low wages and her father's about other things?

Last edited:
As far as I am concerned after the Corporate Tax Break that Disney received they could easily have invested in the employees compensation and the Aspire Program after all after the most recent round of tax breaks they netted a cool extra 1.2 billion. Which wasnt part of the long term strategy for the companies liquidity. It was literally just a 1.2 billion dollar bonus to the company thanks to the federal government. By rough estimate Disney has about 100,000 theme park cast members between both coasts, we know not all of them are full time employees, but lets say they were, Disney could have given everyone of those employees a 3 dollar a hour raise, still put the 150 million into Aspire and still only spent about 750 mill. They could have taken the left over Half billion and still bought back stocks without a issue. That was worst case scenario, in truth of those 100,000 theme park cast members not all of them are full time, and not all of them are hourly, so the real cost for Disney would have been significantly less, not to mention the 150 million investment into aspire is a tax write off anyway.

Really Disney as a corporation can do what they will, and I will still give them my money, but to be honest for a company that tries to show they are a responsible corporate citizen, the wildlife funds, the reducing of straws and such, it really isnt that much to ask companies who claim they care about their cast members to actually show more than doing the bare minimum. To be a innovator and corporate leader.

I wont even go into the case overseas about gender pay inequalities by Disney, that would take even more effort to fully hatch out.

If someone doesn't like working WDW..Or DL go somewhere else. Free republic we live in. No one is forcing anyone to work anywhere. Go work where one is happy and content.
I had a great job in an auto plant. from 94-95. 4 years Military prior to that. Left for the Professional Fire Dept. job in Ohio....It's better and been here for 25 years almost now!! No one forced me to stay at the assembly plant. I never understood folks that complain about their job..just goto another. Take advantage of freedom..Because a lot of folks around the globe..dont have it.

So she shouldn't be taken seriously because you don't agree with her timing?

And what difference does it make if she says she likes Bob? Should she hate the man? One can personally like someone and even like the job they are doing without agreeing with the ridiculous amount of pay they are getting.

I looked up some things about savedisney.com to make sure, but the stand she is taking now has nothing to do with that. The first time it started was to stop a hostile takeover and then to get rid of Eisner. So, what is your connection between her complain about low wages and her father's about other things?

The issue I have with the "I like Bob" comment is that when you're in a dispute, or argument you should be able to proclaim your opinion and not have to prove, or proclaim you still like something in the process. For example, clearly I love Disney, that's why I'm here, but I have no problem discussing the issues, or flaws I see within the company and do not feel the need to defend myself by stating I still like them while still having that argument. If she was asked during the interview it would make sense for her to response, "Yes, I like Bob still," but if she was not asked, it makes her look desperate to be liked, or desperate to not look like "a hater" to others.

You seem to have missed the point I am making with the SaveDisney.com site, especially since you missed the part where I even admitted in the same statement that he was fighting against other matters that are different than what she is complaining about now. It is the fact that her own father had issues with the company for ages and fought in order to defend the honor of their company, for the animation studio, as well as fought to have Michael Eisner brought down as CEO due to many other issues. The point I am trying to make in bringing this up is the fact that even then she was not involved, nor commented on it, and this was not that long ago. If anything, I think it would have been the perfect time for her to chime in and to make the statements she now is stating due to the fact that this same "problem" (once again) that was going on during this time even if it wasn't an issue brought up by her father.

So, to answer your question...
No, I can't take it as a serious claim of her being genuinely concerned for Disney employees due to the negligence on her part due to her timing and due to her being ill educated on the matter considering these are "problems" that have been happening for decades.

Last edited:
If someone doesn't like working WDW..Or DL go somewhere else. Free republic we live in. No one is forcing anyone to work anywhere. Go work where one is happy and content.
I had a great job in an auto plant. from 94-95. 4 years Military prior to that. Left for the Professional Fire Dept. job in Ohio....It's better and been here for 25 years almost now!! No one forced me to stay at the assembly plant. I never understood folks that complain about their job..just goto another. Take advantage of freedom..Because a lot of folks around the globe..dont have it.

Yes, because that is so easy for everyone to do.

Sure everyone can just find another job if they aren't happy and someone else can fill their position and not have enough to pay for the basic necessities. And we continue the circle.

Its not about ONE CM. ITs not about two CMs. Its about ALL of them and ALL to come.

The issue I have with the "I like Bob" comment is that when you're in a dispute, or argument you should be able to proclaim your opinion and not have to prove, or proclaim you still like something in the process. For example, clearly I love Disney, that's why I'm here, but I have no problem discussing the issues, or flaws I see within the company and do not feel the need to defend myself by stating I still like them while still having that argument. If she was asked during the interview it would make sense for her to response, "Yes, I like Bob still," but if she was not asked, it makes her look desperate to be liked, or desperate to not look like "a hater" to others.

You seem to have missed the point I am making with the SaveDisney.com site, especially since you missed the part where I even admitted in the same statement that he was fighting against other matters that are different than what she is complaining about now. It is the fact that her own father had issues with the company for ages and fought in order to defend the honor of their company, for the animation studio, as well as fought to have Michael Eisner brought down as CEO due to many other issues. The point I am trying to make in bringing this up is the fact that even then she was not involved, nor commented on it, and this was not that long ago. If anything, I think it would have been the perfect time for her to chime in and to make the statements she now is stating due to the fact that this same "problem" (once again) that was going on during this time even if it wasn't an issue brought up by her father.

So, to answer your question...
No, I can't take it as a serious claim of her being genuinely concerned for Disney employees due to the negligence on her part due to her timing and due to her being ill educated on the matter considering these are "problems" that have been happening for decades.

Did it ever occur to you that she wasn't involved when her dad was because HE was? Maybe she didn't feel she was necessary as he was taking care of it.

And I don't get that at all about saying "I like Bob". Maybe she wanted to be clear that it wasn't personal. She likes the man personally. Doesn't mean she is defending herself. Means she is making the statement that she likes the man.

Sounds like you are discounting her just because you are discounting her. You don't have to justify your disagreement.

Cool, cool. Based on these comments, you haven’t been on the job market in 25 years. Which is a good 80% of my life. You have no idea what it is like to look for a job today, it’s certainly not as easy as you make it sound in these posts.

Cool, cool. Based on these comments, you haven’t been on the job market in 25 years. Which is a good 80% of my life. You have no idea what it is like to look for a job today, it’s certainly not as easy as you make it sound in these posts.
Its the best job market in over 50 years.. Places can't fill positions. Natural gas wells that pay laborers over 70k per year cant fill the jobs.. There is tons of jobs that cant be filled. There is ZERO lack of jobs. There is a lack of people willing to do some jobs. Just in our small area we live in a fairly large plumbing company is always hiring...training on the job. Pays over 50k no young people will do it because it's not....the job they think they should have-Its too "uneducated" yet they go unemployed and say they cant find a job....
Not saying thats your issue. But, alot of folks that complain about jobs are individuals with college degrees that have no use...yet they expect a good job. Sometimes...a trade is the training they need.

I
Its the best job market in over 50 years.. Places can't fill positions. Natural gas wells that pay laborers over 70k per year cant fill the jobs.. There is tons of jobs that cant be filled. There is ZERO lack of jobs. There is a lack of people willing to do some jobs. Just in our small area we live in a fairly large plumbing company is always hiring...training on the job. Pays over 50k no young people will do it because it's not....the job they think they should have-Its too "uneducated" yet they go unemployed and say they cant find a job....
Not saying thats your issue. But, alot of folks that complain about jobs are individuals with college degrees that have no use...yet they expect a good job. Sometimes...a trade is the training they need.
I don’t know anyone who is unemployed and turning down well paying jobs for which they are qualified to work. I know several people who are geographically restricted and unable to find any work that will pay them a living wage.

I

I don’t know anyone who is unemployed and turning down well paying jobs for which they are qualified to work. I know several people who are geographically restricted and unable to find any work that will pay them a living wage.
The last sentence...Geographically restricted?....thats the issue. Folks move all the time for work. We have guys on the Dept. from all over. I mean if i needed work that meant I needed to move to another state......Then thats what it takes. Folks do it all the time.
I just cant understand why folks think they cant move. Again, not sure what your situation is...

The last sentence...Geographically restricted?....thats the issue. Folks move all the time for work. We have guys on the Dept. from all over. I mean if i needed work that meant I needed to move to another state......Then thats what it takes. Folks do it all the time.
I just cant understand why folks think they cant move. Again, not sure what your situation is...

Because some people can’t move. First off it takes money to move. You very last sentence explains it well, you don’t know the person’s situation.

You did it. Great. That doesn’t mean everyone can.

Did it ever occur to you that she wasn't involved when her dad was because HE was? Maybe she didn't feel she was necessary as he was taking care of it.

And I don't get that at all about saying "I like Bob". Maybe she wanted to be clear that it wasn't personal. She likes the man personally. Doesn't mean she is defending herself. Means she is making the statement that she likes the man.

Sounds like you are discounting her just because you are discounting her. You don't have to justify your disagreement.

Yes, he was taking care of it and had 43% of shareholders in support of him, yet she wasn't in the picture at all. The point is she wasn't involved in that and could have shown support along with the other 43%. Also, while it didn't seem an issue to Roy, the same issue she is complaining now was an issue that was occurring back then. Which was not that long ago.

I can't change your opinion, as much as you can't change mine. It's good that she's finally saying something, but it still doesn't change the fact that I feel there are ulterior reasons for her to speak up now, or that she comes off as oblivious considering how long this has been an issue. I have my reasons to "discount her" as much as you have reasons to praise her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter