What rides can you not do that you wish you could?

ajcrusher

Earning My Ears
I have severe arthritis in both knees so getting in and out of some rides are just too hard for me to do. I can't do Soarin' since there's no footplate. I can't get in and out of Rock 'n Roller Coaster and Space Mountain hurt me bad the last time I rode it. This November is our first trip without the kids so I've decided to try some of the rides with DH that our kids usually rode with him. I'll try Soarin' & Space Mountain again but think I'll steer clear of RNRC. Splash Mountain is a maybe too. On the upside, I usually get some pretty interesting photos while the rest of the family is riding. Anyone else have any rides they wish they could do but can't?

Lana

I can't do any of the mountains, any roller coaster type ride, any jerky ride, and that doesn't leave much! But I have always enjoyed myself and found plenty of things that kept me busy.

Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Maelstrom, and Kali River Rapids.

All of these are too low to the ground for me to get out of. When I was younger I could do the floor to wheelchair transfer but now I'm just too old for that stuff.

I have severe arthritis in both knees so getting in and out of some rides are just too hard for me to do. I can't do Soarin' since there's no footplate. I can't get in and out of Rock 'n Roller Coaster and Space Mountain hurt me bad the last time I rode it. This November is our first trip without the kids so I've decided to try some of the rides with DH that our kids usually rode with him. I'll try Soarin' & Space Mountain again but think I'll steer clear of RNRC. Splash Mountain is a maybe too. On the upside, I usually get some pretty interesting photos while the rest of the family is riding. Anyone else have any rides they wish they could do but can't?

Lana

Peter Pan. I still can do it, but my Son in Law cannot. I wish that they could slow the walkway.

Peter Pan. I still can do it, but my Son in Law cannot. I wish that they could slow the walkway.

It would be great if they could do a redesign on Peter Pan that allowed for some ships to leave the regular track, be loaded in a different area, and then sent back in.

Unfortunately, that is probably not possible for the same reason they can't stop the walkway to begin with. Sending the special ships back in would likely require a stop.

Even with my bad knees, I can still do all the rides. The most difficult one is Space Mountain. I'm not sure if it's actually lower or just the angle of the seats.

This past January, I managed to pull a muscle in my back getting off of Space. I think I twisted at an odd angle trying to keep from using my knees until I absolutely had to.

Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, I have rode it again since then, :blush: even though I still have intermittent pain from that pulled muscle. My DH lifts me out. Every time I go, I tell myself that is the last time I'm riding.

The only ride I don't ride due to potential medical issues is ToT. I had some internal problems after riding it in 2002 that may or may not have been coincidence. Since doctors think it's likely ToT was a contributor, I'm afraid to ever get on it again. I go through the queue with DH, just because I enjoy the atmosphere, but then I take the chicken elevator down.

Peter Pan in DL is doable. I can't ride in WDW because the transfer takes too long but the track in DL is different and I had more time.

So just take a trip to California. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Here is a comment I posted a while back about it:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2294249
This is the car for Peter Pan. Unlike the ride in WDW at DL they can stop the ride so there is time to make the transfer. I'm not sure how long they'd be willing to stop it since there are cars backing up behind you but they didn't rush me at all for this. It was great to ride to Nerverland again.

PeterPanDL.jpg

I wish we could all ride what we wanted to without any issues. My DH is very understanding of my issues but he does try to push me to do rides he think I might enjoy or have enjoyed in the past even though I know it'll be painful for me. I think it'll be worse in November since our boys won't be there for him to ride with. I've already told him I'll do what I can but not to push me to ride the stuff I know I can't do.

Bill, a quick question...

In the thread you just linked to, you said you could stay in a chair for Buzz Lightyear and TSM in DL. Is that case for WDW also?

I love Stitch's ride but I can't handle the "chili dog" smell. They finally cleaned/fixed/replaced the vents for the gas and it's really strong now. Last time I rode it, the smell went straight through my facemask and I ended up at first aid (I'm lucky it wasn't the ER). Since we can't figure out what set me off (my allergies are airborne food ones) I avoid this ride.

I also can't do ToT due to a problem with my tailbone. I messed it up ice skating years ago and bumping it against the hard seat really makes it hard to sit for the rest of the day.

In the thread you just linked to, you said you could stay in a chair for Buzz Lightyear and TSM in DL. Is that case for WDW also?

Yes, both of them have cars where you can wheel right in. I know Sue has more information about the restrictions on them. I think that there are certain types of power wheelchairs that they cannot handle. Also they can't handle any ECVs in these special cars.

Yes, both of them have cars where you can wheel right in. I know Sue has more information about the restrictions on them.

It's all about size. I know this was already mentioned on the old old website for these rides, so will probably also be on the new on and for sure Sue will have the info somewhere in the stickies.

My powerchair isn't big. It's high, but wide and lenght can be made pretty compact. Even then it's a tight fit on about all of the accessible vehicle rides. It does require some driving skills (guess on could compare it to parrallel parking a car into a tight spot). Biggest hurdle; the small wheels. They can "stick out" of the footprint so to say, requiring a larger space than compared to when they are positioned in such a way they are "inverted" underneath the seat. They need to be "inverted" underneath the seat to allow CM's to lock chair in properly. Having great driver skills can tackle that, but many times I see CM's struggling to manually manipulate these wheels into place when user is lacking those skills.

Then my movable joystick is a big factor in loading onto some rides. I need to move my joystick to the side to be able to fit. If leaving the joystick in position, it blocks against higher part in some accessible vehicles like for instance Buzz and thus blocking it from moving in more forward which is needed to fit the chair. I can simply click my joystick out of that position and next to my armrest instead of in front of it. Couldn't I, then my joystick would prevent me from riding some rides.

Oh and watch the knees! Some rides that have certain higher up parts in the carts, like formentioned Buzz but also the pushdown bar for instance on TSM are at THE perfect hight for me to smash my kneecaps into if I speed even the littlest too much. Given how high my chair and how high up my seat is, hopefully this is an exception rather than norm but be aware of injuring knees when loading too fast.

All in all some rides are a pretty tight fit.

PS; Bill good to see you around on the boards again.

My secret desire is to go on 2 rides - Soarin' & Tower of Terror.

Since I know I can't, I go to YouTube. There are some very good videos there. This way - I can enjoy that ride also! :thumbsup2

Yes, both of them have cars where you can wheel right in. I know Sue has more information about the restrictions on them. I think that there are certain types of power wheelchairs that they cannot handle. Also they can't handle any ECVs in these special cars.

Thanks, just a standard manual wheelchair so should be able to do. I like that there are rides that don't require transfer. :thumbsup2

I love Stitch's ride but I can't handle the "chili dog" smell. They finally cleaned/fixed/replaced the vents for the gas and it's really strong now. Last time I rode it, the smell went straight through my facemask and I ended up at first aid (I'm lucky it wasn't the ER). Since we can't figure out what set me off (my allergies are airborne food ones) I avoid this ride.

Glad you mentioned this. I haven't been on this since it was Alien Encounter, but will avoid it for sure now. I have pretty bad asthma that is aggravated by many smells. No food allergies, but I don't trust smells in general, and certainly don't want to to be stuck with a face mask full of an irritant.

I did find out here that I can leave my nebulizer at first aid rather than going back to the room to use it during the day. Infinitely helpful information.

Peter Pan in DL is doable. I can't ride in WDW because the transfer takes too long but the track in DL is different and I had more time.

This is the car for Peter Pan. Unlike the ride in WDW at DL they can stop the ride so there is time to make the transfer. I'm not sure how long they'd be willing to stop it since there are cars backing up behind you but they didn't rush me at all for this. It was great to ride to Nerverland again.

PeterPanDL.jpg
The pirates ship for WDW is similar, but there is the moving walkway. The walkway is also relatively short - especially getting out.
That is one we really miss. We have to lift and carry DD on and it just is too hard to do. Last time we rode, DH almost ran out of space to get out. They are currently renovating the queue there to make it interactive, but I don't know that they can do much about loading.

They can't stop it in usual operation except for emergency stops.
BUT, they can sometimes let people who need it stopped to ride first or last ride of the day. The issue is having other guests inside the ride suspended above the ground.
In the morning, they load one ride car and run it thru for the first ride. In the last ride, they unload all the cars, then load the person with a disability and their party. That way, those ships are the only ones with people in them.

Yes - as Bill mentioned, I do know more. I'm riding in the car right now, typing on my iPhone, so can't post links easily.
But, I have pictures I will post later.
A wheelchair no bigger than 32 inches wide and 48 inches long should fit.
Toy Story Midway Mania has a larger, more wide open space.

As was already mentioned, the front part of the Buzz Lightyear car can be an obstacle to some power chairs, but should not be a problem for manual chairs.
Thanks, just a standard manual wheelchair so should be able to do. I like that there are rides that don't require transfer. :thumbsup2

Glad you mentioned this. I haven't been on this since it was Alien Encounter, but will avoid it for sure now. I have pretty bad asthma that is aggravated by many smells. No food allergies, but I don't trust smells in general, and certainly don't want to to be stuck with a face mask full of an irritant.

I did find out here that I can leave my nebulizer at first aid rather than going back to the room to use it during the day. Infinitely helpful information.

PeterPanDL.jpg

Thanks everyone for the information. I will pass it on to him. I think he might be just a bit scared of it as he almost didn't make it off the ride at WDW.

Anyone else have any rides they wish they could do but can't?

The two I can't ride are Peter Pan and the People Mover. There may be another, but I can't remember. PP is really the only one I'm curious to ride with the family.

When I was younger I could do the floor to wheelchair transfer but now I'm just too old for that stuff.

I'm wondering how much longer I will be able to do the floor to wheelchair, those are tough. I'm already looking for something to get me part of the way there when getting off of rides.

Like Bill said, yes you can. I will add that they won't let you transfer on Buzz. I normally get out of my chair for TSMM, but it's an awkward transfer and I should probably not do it since I don't have to.

A manual is fairly easy for both. The ramp is slightly steep for Buzz, but it's not too bad. Some people could need a little assistance.

If your asthma is aggrevated by smells, definately avoid Stitch. The smell is just a bunch of chemicals that really aren't healthy. The MSDS actually recommends wearing a NIOSH approved mask if used in a poorly ventilated area. I changed masks almost immediately after getting off. This might be something helpful for anyone bothered by smells to know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter