• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What restaurant was one and done for you?

Be our Guest

We loved it, but apparently the reasonably priced sit down lunch is gone, and I'm not spending $60 on lunch at WDW
This is one thing I've seen mentioned a couple times but don't quite understand. Lunch and dinner have the same menu, so $60 may be ok for dinner, but not for lunch? I guess I don't get the reasoning for that. Or are you saying that $60 is too much regardless of which meal it is.

Sci - fi Dine in theatre.

Admittedly, the milk shakes were pretty good. But no $12 milk shake can save a very below average cheeseburger, horrible service, and old theming.

Le Cellier is the top of the list one and done but there are so many when I think about it...table too close to other parties and the swinging kitchen door, food not that great for cost, mom and dad’s desserts were inedible. Much better steakhouses imnsho.
O’Hana used to be a family favorite - 2 service failures different meals have made my dad say never again plus the menu no longer appeals.
San Angel inn- tables crowded together and we prefer Tex-mex.
Nine Dragons- just no
Biergarten - the best thing about the meal was the other family we shared a table with we had the best conversation.
Kona cafe- one of the 1st reservations and we were sat by the service station it was just ok.
Liberty Tree Tavern - again just ok food quality has gone downhill.
Be Our Guest - took forever to order (lunch before the change) just okay not impressed with the food.
50’s Prime Time Cafe - 1st trip it was awesome it has gone downhill in food and service.
Flame tree BBQ - meat was so dry nope - hard to have BBQ outside of Texas.

Now that we are all adults I really enjoy escaping to the resorts for a break and enjoy more of the restaurants there.

At the top of my list, is Chefs de France, I'm not sure if Disney / Epcot has told the staff their to be incredibly rude because it's "French" etc., but my last time there my waitress threw a fit when we asked to split our bill, and literally grabbed the receipt out my hand and stormed off. I will never, ever, go back there needless to say.....

The other thing I've noticed, and hopefully this has changed because of COVID etc, is that Disney restaurants were desperately trying to get you out of the restaurant, rushing the food, rushing the drink, rushing the bill, trying to jam as many people through the doors as possible. I noticed this a few years back at Le Cellier, in and out in 30 minutes seems to be the goal. If I'm spending "alot" of money on food at Disney / Epcot, I really want to be able to relax and enjoy it, not be rushed, "are you done," "do you need the bill." etc. Like I said hopefully this has changed.

As a side note, I will say almost 95% of my experiences have been awesome, but they few bad ones stick in my head, with regards to restaurants.
Its a shame, the food is delicious. I've never had a problem there myself, quite the opposite actually and I've been there a half dozen times.

I've been to Disney 20+ times and the only on property restaurant I wouldn't go back to is Rain Forest.
Some of the restaurants getting savaged on this thread I actually like: Ohana, San Angel, Liberty Tree. I've been to all multiple times and love them.

This is one thing I've seen mentioned a couple times but don't quite understand. Lunch and dinner have the same menu, so $60 may be ok for dinner, but not for lunch? I guess I don't get the reasoning for that. Or are you saying that $60 is too much regardless of which meal it is.

I'm guessing that what they are upset about is the QS lunch being gone in favor of the prix-fixe menu which is the same at lunch and dinner. They probably won't pay the prix-fixe price at dinner either - but now (whether it has changed for the time being - it's much more cost-efficient to not have to totally flip the kitchen - or whether the people getting reservations for large parties and ordering one coffee and cupcake (admittedly more of an issue at breakfast) finally sealed its fate) there is no QS option. Only the TS prix-fixe.

Omg I forgot about our dining at Nine Dragons! The Service was horrible - our waiter hid behind the palm tree!! We couldn’t get him to our table for anything! I had to go to the front just to get the bill and talk to the Manager who screamed at our waiter in Chinese while he peeked around the palm tree! Needless to say we didn’t get charged !
I also had a horrible b-day meal at California Grill - my waiter was too busy flirting with some young ladies at the table next to us - he was very rude and argued with us when we ordered and I was served a steak that a saw would not be able to cut! The waiter could have cared less - and stated so! Well the Manager was very nice and booked me a brunch to make up for the bad meal! I’ll do the brunch again but dinner is off the plan !

Its a shame, the food is delicious. I've never had a problem there myself, quite the opposite actually and I've been there a half dozen times.

Yeah, like I said earlier. If these "one and done" or "best meal ever" threads keep going long enough, you'll find every restaurant on both lists. :D

Yachtsman Steakhouse. Worst steaks we have ever had, terrible service, and meh atmosphere.
We celebrated New Year’s Eve there many years ago, and I remember not being terribly impressed. DH insists that it was a great meal, and we must eat there on our next trip. Not looking forward to that meal.

We celebrated New Year’s Eve there many years ago, and I remember not being terribly impressed. DH insists that it was a great meal, and we must eat there on our next trip. Not looking forward to that meal.
I'm glad my whole family agrees on this one! My adult kids who were teens at the time still talk about how terrible their steaks were.

Liberty tree is one and done for us, we had to wait nearly an hour after our ADR. when the food came my DD had to use the restroom she is disabled so I had to go with her. I told the bus boy we will be right back, it did take a while they have one small bathroom and there was a line when we came back they had cleared our table and someone else was sitting there talk about awkward. They gave us a fast pass for our troubles. The food was to salty and not good.

Our family loves Ohana dinner and H&V breakfast/BOG breakfast (when they were great PPO meals). Looking for some new places that won’t be one and done for future trips!!!

Our family loves Ohana dinner and H&V breakfast/BOG breakfast (when they were great PPO meals). Looking for some new places that won’t be one and done for future trips!!!
Many of my favorites are on some people's one-and-done lists. Sometimes all it takes to turn people off is a lousy waiter or obnoxious people sitting nearby. We try to give a restaurant a couple of chances. Earlier in the thread I talked about our first time at California Grill being disastrous because of a rude, just awful waiter. I don't even remember whether I liked the food or not, because she absolutely ruined our anniversary dinner. DD insisted that we try again three years later. We acquiesced, and it ended up being one of the highlights of our trip with a waiter who bent over backwards for us. It was truly a night to remember. I highly suggest California Grill.

Another restaurant that we love is
Narcoossee's where we celebrated our 25th Anniversary after our vow renewal. Amazing waitstaff and bartender. The food was delicious, especially the almond crusted cheesecake...OMG.
'Ohana is a favorite for both breakfast and dinner, and we have never encountered the chaotic environment that people talk about, although our dinner reservations there are usually around 5:30pm. Maybe after that it gets nutty. (I don't do chaos which is why I am finished with Chef Mickeys). We do best eating at the Deluxe hotel restaurants. In the parks, it is hard to find good food and comfortable seating, but we do enjoy eating on the second floor of Columbia Harbor House
away from misbehaving children running all over the place. We love Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast. Their stuffed French toast is divine. My DD insists on Crystal Palace, where we have gone on every single trip, but it is entirely for her. I just go along for the ride.

IMHO, I have learned that the one-and-done mindset doesn't really work. I prefer to give something a couple chances to fail before I'm done with them.

Many of my favorites are on some people's one-and-done lists. Sometimes all it takes to turn people off is a lousy waiter or obnoxious people sitting nearby. We try to give a restaurant a couple of chances. Earlier in the thread I talked about our first time at California Grill being disastrous because of a rude, just awful waiter. I don't even remember whether I liked the food or not, because she absolutely ruined our anniversary dinner. DD insisted that we try again three years later. We acquiesced, and it ended up being one of the highlights of our trip with a waiter who bent over backwards for us. It was truly a night to remember. I highly suggest California Grill.

Another restaurant that we love is Narcoossee's where we celebrated our 25th Anniversary after our vow renewal. Amazing waitstaff and bartender. The food was delicious, especially the almond crusted cheesecake...OMG. 'Ohana is a favorite for both breakfast and dinner, and we have never encountered the chaotic environment that people talk about, although our dinner reservations there are usually around 5:30pm. Maybe after that it gets nutty. (I don't do chaos which is why I am finished with Chef Mickeys). We do best eating at the Deluxe hotel restaurants. In the parks, it is hard to find good food and comfortable seating, but we do enjoy eating on the second floor of Columbia Harbor House
away from misbehaving children running all over the place. We love Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast. Their stuffed French toast is divine. My DD insists on Crystal Palace, where we have gone on every single trip, but it is entirely for her. I just go along for the ride.

IMHO, I have learned that the one-and-done mindset doesn't really work. I prefer to give something a couple chances to fail before I'm done with them.

I had been dying to try the brunch at Cali Grill then they removed the Bloody Mary bar and then no more brunch (as far as I know for now ). I am not a fan of our dinner at Chef Mickey’s dinner buffet that we had two years ago but I am willing to give it a go next trip with the new family style service! It’s true - hard to find good in park options with the new reservation system and no hopping (and dd insisting on all you can eat Mickey waffles!!!

I know most people love my one and done, but I have to say it. Olivia’s was the worst meal we have had on property. The room was so loud and the service was terrible. We went on Sunday at 3 and they only had brunch. My husband got the banana bread French Toast. It had such a weird texture.
And California Grill. Service has not been good for a while and the food lacks imagination. They should switch locations with the Wave as they understand food and service.

I had been dying to try the brunch at Cali Grill then they removed the Bloody Mary bar and then no more brunch (as far as I know for now ). I am not a fan of our dinner at Chef Mickey’s dinner buffet that we had two years ago but I am willing to give it a go next trip with the new family style service! It’s true - hard to find good in park options with the new reservation system and no hopping (and dd insisting on all you can eat Mickey waffles!!!
You can get unlimited Mickey waffles at 'Ohana, and remember to request bacon, because they will serve it if you ask for it. We always do.

I did my time at Chef Mickey's:scared:throughout DD's childhood. I'm reserving Chef Mickey's for when I have a grandchild...and that's still a long way off since DD isn't even married yet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter