What resort to pick!

TerriC31

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! My husband and I have booked our alone trip to Disney world for feburary 2020! We just got back from a 14 day trip with our two sons and loved it so much we booked another but just the two of us. What resort would you recommend for first time resort stayers!? Thanks all!

Boardwalk

That's what i would choose for an adults only trip with my husband. I like to be able to walk to two parks. The location is great for hopping into Epcot for dinner or there are many good restaurant choices near by. The pool is nice and usually not too crowded. There are several bar/lounge options nearby and I want to try out the piano bar.

Last edited:
Wilderness Lodge... quiet, serene setting yet < 10 minutes from MK and some great restaurant options.

My husband and I have only been to WDW without the kiddos, and we chose AKL to stay, but went to all the resorts to hang out too! We loved it. We didn't even go into the parks. We loved hanging at the resort and watching the animals. One night the giraffes slept near our balcony. Another night we got dressed up and ate at the California Grill. We also enjoyed watching the fireworks on the Polynesian beach and dancing at Atlantic Dance Hall by the Boardwalk resort.

Our most favorite moderate is the Port Orleans French Quarter. Love the gumbo and beignets!

(1) If money is not an issue: stay deluxe in Epcot or MK area
*Epcot area resort - BWI or YC
*MK area - depends upon the theme you like best - all are awesome! (Most romantic - Polynesian)

(2). slightly smaller rooms and a little lower priced, but still deluxe:
*AKL - animals from your balcony, incredible theme, great food
WL - boat top the MK, secluded, great theme

(3) lower prices, but good value
*CSR - more upscale than the other moderates, IMO, with more amenities
*CBR - relaxing tropical island atmosphere, will soon have the Skyliner transport
POR/POFQ - boat to DS, use amenities at both resorts regardless of where you stay

(4) on a budget?
*Pop Century - newly refurbed rooms are nice, Skyliner, walk to AoA
All Stars - lowest price option except for camping in FW

My first choice would be the Poly, GF or CR if you plan on spending time at the MK or just love to look at the castle from your resort. If you want to walk/boat to two theme parks and/or will have park hoppers, an Epcot area resort might be more convenient. YC is a nice choice for adults only in Epcot area, IMO.

To save some $$ and still have a fabulous deluxe experience, or if you just love animals, a stay at the AKL would be an awesome choice! We stay here as part of a split stay on many of our WDW visits. The food and theming are incredible! Its is a bit distant to the MK, but it doesn't bother us. just an extra 5 - 10 minutes on the bus.

CSR is awesome and beautiful! With the new restaurant on the water and there tower with indoor corridor options, this is a great resort for a moderate choice for a couple. Fitness centre, salon and the best pool after Storm Along Bay are some of our reasons to love this resort.

Pop Century is actually quite nice as a value option. Staying here with a view of the lake saves a lot of money for use on extras like add on events (DAH or EMM), signature dinner choices. or specialty tours.

Good luck choosing!

What part of Feb? If you will be there the 23rd, you will be affected by the Princess Half Marathon. I would stay away from the Contemporary. Any moderate or deluxe resort can be romantic and nice. If you want to do things at Disnsey Springs, it is convenient to stay at Port Orleans and take a boat ride. Festival of the Arts will be going on at EPCOT for most of Feb (dates haven't been announced yet). If that piques your interest, staying in the boardwalk area would be great so you can walk into the World Showcase where the event will be taking place.

We are going the 20th to 27th. We would like to stay on a decent budget where we just got back from 14 days with the kids and this is a spur of the moment trip..Haha I mean it's a year in advance almost but was never discussed going again . We plan on doing 4 park days and enjoying down time on the resort hopping. We are foodies so we would like to.try more restaurants!

We are going the 20th to 27th. We would like to stay on a decent budget where we just got back from 14 days with the kids and this is a spur of the moment trip..Haha I mean it's a year in advance almost but was never discussed going again . We plan on doing 4 park days and enjoying down time on the resort hopping. We are foodies so we would like to.try more restaurants!
A decent budget is a very subjective statement.
Everyone will have a different opinion but if you are staying 7 nights and only doing 4 park days that means you will be spending a lot of time at your resort. If it were me, I would choose the beach club. Good luck choosing your hotel!!

Thank you! I never really thought that decent was the wrong term till you said it and realized my decent and yours or anyone else's could be miles apart. We would like to go for under or around 5000. The less the better!:)

Thank you! I never really thought that decent was the wrong term till you said it and realized my decent and yours or anyone else's could be miles apart. We would like to go for under or around 5000. The less the better!:)
Haha. No worries. That was my point exactly. We travel as 2 adults to Disney quite often and you can absolutely stay in a very nice room, have some nice meals and 4 day tickets for under $5,000.
You will get a lot of varying opinions on what resort to pick. There are many people on these board that have the mentality that a hotel room is just a place to sleep so they choose to stay at the cheapest value hotel. We enjoy staying in the deluxe resorts because we enjoy use the amenities. Neither way of thinking is wrong, they are just different.

Because you are traveling without your kids, I would narrow your search to moderate or deluxe resorts. There are kids at every level of resorts at Disney but the values have a lot more as these hotels are geared towards them.

Thanks so much for your help! We have been looking alot at port Orleans riverside. We still have lots of debating.and researching to figure out what is best for the two of us on our vacation ;)

Thanks so much for your help! We have been looking alot at port Orleans riverside. We still have lots of debating.and researching to figure out what is best for the two of us on our vacation ;)
Your welcome. Disney planning can be overwhelming but fun too!,
I’ve never stayed there but have read it is a great place to stay. Him sure you guys will have a blast wherever you choose to stay.

I just came back from a split stay at POFQ and Contemporary. While CR was convenient, it was bustling and full of kids. I liked it ok but I actually like POFQ. better. It was smaller and peaceful. There were kids but I only encountered them at pools or food court. The courtyards were beautiful and serene. Because its a s baller resort, it didn't take long to get anywhere. Took to boat to DS a few times which was nite. I even took boat over to Riverside, which was nice but sprawling. Right now POFQ is my favorite resort at Disney

Boardwalk

That's what i would choose for an adults only trip with my husband. I like to be able to walk to two parks. The location is great for hopping into Epcot for dinner or there are many good restaurant choices near by. The pool is nice and usually not too crowded. There are several bar/lounge options nearby and I want to try out the piano bar.

This.

Bill From PA

I had an adult only trip with my cousin at POFQ. It was perfect. The grounds are beautiful for strolls and the size is great for getting to the main building/bus stops easily. One of our favorite perks is the boat to DS from either Port Orleans resort. We (including my family) tend to prefer the TS and lounges in DS to those in Epcot, so went there for lunch or dinner a few times. The lounge at POFQ is great and they have live music on certain nights.
I'd seriously consider a stay there with my husband, using the money saved for DAH tickets to a couple of parks.

Saying that, GF has been on my wish list for ages and is #1 for our anniversary trip in 2021. We usually make a trip over there for a meal and wander around. WL is another because Geyser Point is a favorite spot.

If spending a lot of time at EP or HS, then Boardwalk Inn (walk to both parks). If MK, then Wilderness Lodge (boat to MK). If AK, then Animal Kingdom Lodge (really short bus ride). Now, if u are more budget conscious, then I like Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Riverside, and Port Orleans French Quarter equally, but for different reasons--more adult atmosphere at Coronado Springs, beautiful wooded landscaping at Port Orleans Riverside (I always request Bayou), and small-compact Port Orleans French Quarter. I really love all of the Disney Resorts (that's really why I go so often, not the parks) and generally decide by how much I want to spend this time and where the best deal is when I want to visit.

Basically, can't go wrong in my opinion with any of the resorts. Good luck with the deciding...part of the fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter