What professions are ok to denigrate?

Journalists
Give me a break. This "enemy of the people" crap about journalists began with one screaming baby who didn't like the truths that were written about them. Before the last few years, journalists were held in high regard by most people who use their brains. My brother is an award-winning journalist and I'm sick and tired of hearing this bunk about them.

Give me a break. This "enemy of the people" crap about journalists began with one screaming baby who didn't like the truths that were written about them. Before the last few years, journalists were held in high regard by most people who use their brains. My brother is an award-winning journalist and I'm sick and tired of hearing this bunk about them.
It started long before 3 years ago.

I'm hopeful that teacher bashing will probably die down now that parents see how hard we work.
:thumbsup2 And on that note, now that people have had two months of trying to DIY their own broken-down crap, qualified tradesmen will get a little respect.

Not really.
Maybe it depends on where you live. My mother-in-law has a degree in journalism and used to edit papers. She's seen the public opinion alter and heck she's one herself (she really is quite severe on fellow journalists if being honest). I've known her for over 12 years and she's been complaining about the main newspaper and their journalism even before that according to my husband. I think a big bulk started when the internet became more popular (around 15 or so years) because information was obtained more instantaneously and that became a main way we got our information from.

If I'm understanding you correctly you're more focused on the 'fake news' maybe? IDK but I think journalists have been under fire for a while now, before the current administration. It doesn't mean the profession as a whole is bad though. I can agree the severity has probably gotten worse on people's opinions but with respects to that at least in my circle it's not related to the current administration just frustration on how things are often worded, pictures, headlines to elicit certain responses (and that's speaking local level not even national level). We rely at a lot more than we used to (well at least my husband and I) on tools to help us decipher media bias for national and global level and how to look at articles with a critical eye. There are plenty of amazing journalists out there though (I enjoy a decent amount of nature and history articles myself). As many others have said no one profession should be viewed as a whole. I'm more into digging into specific sources though for my opinion of them.

Not what I said.

You're line of thinking about "professions" is the same line of thinking people have used for ages to denigrate ________ (insert group of people here). Same song, different artist.
LOL, keep saying it and it won't make it any less absurd.

Might as well start calling people who believe different from you Nazis.

Maybe it depends on where you live. My mother-in-law has a degree in journalism and used to edit papers. She's seen the public opinion alter and heck she's one herself (she really is quite severe on fellow journalists if being honest). I've known her for over 12 years and she's been complaining about the main newspaper and their journalism even before that according to my husband. I think a big bulk started when the internet became more popular (around 15 or so years) because information was obtained more instantaneously and that became a main way we got our information from.

If I'm understanding you correctly you're more focused on the 'fake news' maybe? IDK but I think journalists have been under fire for a while now, before the current administration. It doesn't mean the profession as a whole is bad though. I can agree the severity has probably gotten worse on people's opinions but with respects to that at least in my circle it's not related to the current administration just frustration on how things are often worded, pictures, headlines to elicit certain responses (and that's speaking local level not even national level). We rely at a lot more than we used to (well at least my husband and I) on tools to help us decipher media bias for national and global level and how to look at articles with a critical eye. There are plenty of amazing journalists out there though (I enjoy a decent amount of nature and history articles myself). As many others have said no one profession should be viewed as a whole. I'm more into digging into specific sources though for my opinion of them.
I also have a degree in Journalism (Broadcast Journalism) so, yes, I understand sensationalism has always existed within the profession. Hello, National Enquirer! It's funny because that was my mom's "favorite rag" to read and it drove my brother crazy. He's a managing editor at a major-metro newspaper, as well as a journalism professor. Truth in reporting has always been the number one issue for him when dealing with his reporters and students.

So while misleading sensationalism does and has always existed, it's a very different animal than what we are seeing now. You're right, much of the hate and misinformation is rooted in the internet.

Customer service people. Those people are told to do things a certain way and are usually heavily monitored. Their attitudes may just come from being yelled at constantly for things they have no control over.

Evil overlord henchmen are always the insolent fools and bumbling idiots and I don't think that's fair to the group as a whole. :worried:

I saw 'journalists' in this topic and my brain immediately went to morning news weather people.

I'm sorry Bob, you're just too cheery about those fifteen mile an hour winds. I just woke up and cannot deal with that much faked enthusiasm. I've not had my coffee yet. Dial it down a notch.
I need a pessimist weather guy, Like George Carlin as a weather man.

I work in banking and often hear flack about my company and my career path. I used to work in a project management role in Collections, so I experienced first hand the grief the frontline Collectors receive. There are many third party collection agencies that have collectors that violate all kinds of regulations and are nasty and intimidating, but I know from experience that bank-employed Collectors are NOT that way. Sure, there may be some bad apples, but they are so regulated and quality-checked, they would not last long. They just have a job to do and they put up with customers who are stressed out and taking it out on them.

I now work in audit for a bank, which is different because I'm now "hated" by my own co-workers! Of course, no one is nasty or mean to me but its a different dynamic when people feel they have to walk on eggshells with you or pushback on something you're doing. As far as people outside my industry, I often hear a lot of flack from people who have had issues with the bank I work at. But in reality, I have nothing to do with frontline customer service employees, product development, underwriting guidelines, or regulations. Complaining about a credit denial or overdraft charges to me is something I have no control over or association with.

I also have a degree in Journalism (Broadcast Journalism) so, yes, I understand sensationalism has always existed within the profession. Hello, National Enquirer! It's funny because that was my mom's "favorite rag" to read and it drove my brother crazy. He's a managing editor at a major-metro newspaper, as well as a journalism professor. Truth in reporting has always been the number one issue for him when dealing with his reporters and students.

So while misleading sensationalism does and has always existed, it's a very different animal than what we are seeing now. You're right, much of the hate and misinformation is rooted in the internet.
My first job out of college (and what I went to school for) was in a local TV newsroom. This was nearly 30 years ago. My PARENTS, even back then, complained about "the media". Yes, things may have gotten worse in the last three years, but again, it's not new. The internet just allows for anyone to have a voice (not a bad thing on it's own).

I believe the correct answer to the original question is none, but the spirit of the question is a fun one. Both my current and previous industries have already been mentioned. I have two to add that I don’t think I’ve seen yet, both of which I disagree with but see accepted frequently

- CEOs or business executives in general. “Greed” and all that stuff.

- Professional wrestlers.

I now work in audit for a bank, which is different because I'm now "hated" by my own co-workers! Of course, no one is nasty or mean to me but its a different dynamic when people feel they have to walk on eggshells with you or pushback on something you're doing.
I work for a global corporation. I used to work for one of our competitors - an even bigger global corporation. With my last employer I was promoted many times - they eventually wanted me to become a global auditor. There is not doubt looking back that they were grooming me for the job - putting me in positions for a few years leading up to the auditor offer where I could learn and impact specific parts of the organization in a way that prepared me for this job. When it became clear that this is really what they wanted me to do for them, I moved to my current employer. I took a pay cut to make the move and it was the right choice for me.

Auditors are treated (at best) like outsiders and I wanted nothing to do with that. It's not the employees that make it so - it is what they are required to do. I imagine it is like wanting to be a police officer and getting assigned to internal affairs.

Not what I said.

You're line of thinking about "professions" is the same line of thinking people have used for ages to denigrate ________ (insert group of people here). Same song, different artist.
Twaddle.
Nobody is born a lawyer or raised as a journalist. They are personal choices.

Somebody's race or religion is part of who they are not what they become.

To equate an attack on those racial or religious characteristics with general criticism of your profession, as you are doing, suggests a level of self importance that isn't shared by the world at large.

ford family

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter