What other Irish food...

Zandy595

DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>The other day I f
besides cornbeef and cabbage do you make for dinner on St. Patrick's Day? Not side dishes, but the main entre.

We have salmon, in memory of the incredible salmon we've eaten while in Ireland!

We always have lamb stew. My mom is from Ireland she said only Americans or rich people every had corn beef.

Hmm.. I don't have much experoence with "Irish Cuisine" but here is a recipe for Pea and Ham soup I found..

Pea and Ham Soup
This soup is made with dried peas; these generally have to be soaked overnight, though it is possible to buy some that need only a few hours' immersion. It is slightly less trouble to make the soup with split peas - which have no skins - and here there is a choice of green or yellow. Although there is no difference in the taste, the latter give the soup a pleasant golden colour.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Ib/ 500 g/ 2 cups dried peas or split peas
4 oz/ 125 gl 1/2 cup diced pieces of cooked ham or a ham bone
1 large onion and a little fat (optional)
3 pts/ 1 1/2 lr/ 6 cups ham stock or water
cream (optional)
parsley (optional)
seasoning
(serves six)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soak the peas as directed on the packet. Chop the onion, if used, and soften in a little fat over a low heat. Add the peas and water or stock and the ham bone if used.

Cook gently until the peas are soft - about an hour. Remove the bone and strip off any meat. This should be cut into small dice and reserved. Puree the peas in a blender or pass through a sieve. Adjust the seasoning. Add the diced ham and serve with a swirl of cream or a sprinkling of chopped parsley on top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter