What other aitports to consider

Jakejosh4

Mouseketeer
now my boys are a little older not so bothered about flying direct, but not sure what routes to look for would love some advice about flying indirect. I know we could fly into Miami, tampa and i believe even new york can work out cheaper any advice or suggestions will be gratefully received

You can fly indirect to Orlando. This involves a stop at one airport along the way. Usually this is another US airport. Here you collect bags, clear immigration and customs, recheck your baggage then reboard another internal flight to Orlando. When you arrive in Orlando, you just grab your bags and walk out of the airport - no immigration lines. This means the connection time is not as "long" as it looks - for example, a 12.5 hour total flight time is technically 3 hours more than the 9.5 hour direct flight, but if you assume it could take 90 minutes for immigration and customs, this is actually only an additional 1.5 hours of travel time on the outward journey. On the return, you check in at Orlando, take an internal flight to another airport then catch your transatlantic flight home. You don't have to recheck bags on the return flight.

We fly indirect often. My ideals are a minimum of a 2 hour connection time, and trying not to fly "back" on yourself too much, which adds to the flight time (for example, Dallas is a large flight hub so many connections run through there, but it adds to your travel time more than other airports as it's further west). In recent years we have connected in Miami, Dallas, Boston, Chicago, Detroit and even Toronto as you can clear US customs here too, despite being in Canada. Of those, Toronto, Detroit and Chicago are the "nicest" airports to connect through (things to do, good eateries, wifi, pleasant terminals). Miami is convenient, but dull. Atlanta, NY, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C. and Charlotte are also common connection hubs. We have taken overnight connections too when the price has been right (enough to counter the cost of the airport hotel!) which we have found reasonable too. We don't check bags on the outbound leg, so we can often be at our hotel within an hour of the plane hitting the tarmac in Orlando - that's a real perk! Indirect flight also operate from more UK airports - we save 3 hours travel time by flying from an airport that's more convenient to us in the UK.

You can connect in Europe too - Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt, Madrid are common - but you will not clear US immigration here. This will still need to be done when you arrive in Orlando. For this reason, many prefer to connect within the USA or at a non-US hub which allows you to clear US immigration before boarding your second flight, such as a Toronto. That said, if the price is right...

If you want to fly direct to another airport in Florida, Tampa and Miami are your main choices, though you can also fly to Fort Lauderdale.

Another Indirect flight from UK would be via Dublin

Uk to Dublin or Shannon & pre Clear Immigration & on to USA.

OR Aer lingus or Co Share FROM UK & then

Pre Clear Immigration & Aer Lingus from Dublin to Orlando direct.

You can connect in Europe too - Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt, Madrid are common - but you will not clear US immigration here. This will still need to be done when you arrive in Orlando.

well, actually no.

The only airport operating direct flights to Orlando is Frankfurt. (with Lufthansa)

Amsterdam, Paris and Madrid do not have direct link to Orlando, so connecting at one of those airports will require another connection in the US where immigration will be taken care of, before arriving on a domestic flight in Orlando

So, for a UK traveller, connecting at one of those airports will mean 2 stops instead of 1

As far as I'm concerned, I used EWR (Newark) one of the smoothest connection I experienced. (might have been lucky)
CLT (Charlotte) was very easy to navigate
ATL (Atlanta) is a very very large hub, but it's really easy to get around.
PHL (Philadelphia) is also an easy to navigate airport, but that's where we had the biggest immigration lines
CVG (Cincinatti) is also quite nice, but like DFW (Dallas) or DTW (Detroit) it involves some "backtracking" which makes for a longer flight time.
MIA (Miami) is huge and I don't quite like it.

For our next trip, we'll be flying indirect (no choice for us) through either ATL or CLT

I'd like to echo the early poster who suggested Dublin.
We are heading to Orlando via this route in November & having travelled to New York with Aer Lingus before, pre clearing US customs & immigration in Dublin is a huge bonus.

I think Norwegian air fly into Orlando (not sure if that is Sanford or international) from Paris as opposed to the fort Lauderdale route they do from Gatwick

I think Norwegian air fly into Orlando (not sure if that is Sanford or international) from Paris as opposed to the fort Lauderdale route they do from Gatwick

I just checked on their website, and Paris to MCO operates with a stop in Oslo

If you fly indirect to Orlando, you have another advantage: you can go straight to the Magical Express bus without taking your luggage. You show your baggage receipt to the DME desk and they'll collect the bags for you and transport them to your hotel.
It's similar to what people can do if flying within the USA, except Disney won't send you baggage tags in advance. This means that it will take more time to deliver bags to your room, up to 4 hours. If you arrive earlier in the day and plan to go out for the evening (easier to do with FP+), it can be convenient.

Dublin is an excellent choice for an indirect flight, I used it once and loved it!

chmurf said:
I just checked on their website, and Paris to MCO operates with a stop in Oslo

That's good to know actually. I was mildly jealous Paris got flights into Orlando. Norwegian looked tempting to go with until we decided to go in may instead

If you fly indirect to Orlando, you have another advantage: you can go straight to the Magical Express bus without taking your luggage. You show your baggage receipt to the DME desk and they'll collect the bags for you and transport them to your hotel.
It's similar to what people can do if flying within the USA, except Disney won't send you baggage tags in advance. This means that it will take more time to deliver bags to your room, up to 4 hours. If you arrive earlier in the day and plan to go out for the evening (easier to do with FP+), it can be convenient

Actually any flight into MCO can take advantage of the ME baggage service - international or domestic :thumbsup2

They won't post luggage tags internationally anymore so it requires you handing over the baggage receipts and they then collect them from the belts.

remember to try in to one and out of the other.

I scan over a few date in and out of the same then combine the info to try and in and out of of a combination of MCO and Tampa.

Also try and force the stop as a multistop journey this sometime works out cheaper

check going out of Ireland (or Paris) and doing cheep flights to start there. On the way back if flight goes through UK you can usualy just get off at that point.
we have saved £800 for 4 leaving from paris (including paying the BA flights to paris). Journey was - MAN- PARIS. PARIS- LON, LON-TAMPA.

Actually any flight into MCO can take advantage of the ME baggage service - international or domestic :thumbsup2

They won't post luggage tags internationally anymore so it requires you handing over the baggage receipts and they then collect them from the belts.

If you do immigration in Orlando, you have to take the baggage yourself after immigration and pass custom with it. Then you bring it to the DME desk (in another terminal, often).

If you do immigration in another airport, you arrive as a local and can go straight to the DME without taking the baggage from the belt. I did it last September.

If you do immigration in another airport, you arrive as a local and can go straight to the DME without taking the baggage from the belt. I did it last September.

Can we take our luggage anyway? We'll be arriving indirect at 8pm - too early to have to take our cases but too late to want to be without them for a few hours.

Well thank you all so much never realised there would be so much choice I am going to re-read them all and make notes. I will do some research and may be back to ask a few more questions. Am constantly surprised how much knowledge is on these boards :)

If you do immigration in Orlando, you have to take the baggage yourself after immigration and pass custom with it. Then you bring it to the DME desk (in another terminal, often).

If you do immigration at MCO you drop it back off after customs before going up to the transit to the main terminal. ME will then collect it for you.

Can we take our luggage anyway? We'll be arriving indirect at 8pm - too early to have to take our cases but too late to want to be without them for a few hours.
Yes anyone can take their luggage with them :thumbsup2

We always do as I would rather keep it with me and not having going round on a luggage belt in the open terminal plus I can unpack straight away :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter