What not to do at Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm unsure why you quoted me when you wrote this as I never said we shared a drink with our kids, I said I don't see anything wrong with it. I am not the person who originated this topic, I was just providing my input.

This topic is actually becoming hilarious as those of you who think giving a child a sip of soda out of a mom or dad's cup which is perfectly normal in everyday life of parents are acting as if this is some sort of criminal activity and it is not.

I'm really interested in the psychology of the posters who believe that this is truly some sort of "crime" because it is not even close to "stealing" as some are stating.

Anyway, I'm done with the entire soda talk as it is really silly for people to consider it wrong for a parent to share a drink with one of their kiddos at Disney.

Most buffets will charge you if they see you giving bites of your food to someone who didn't purchase a buffet meal. So no, that is not comparing a whole meal to a sip. It is comparing a bite to a sip. Not saying that I think someone letting a child take a drink is stealing, but the bite comparison does hold up under scrutiny.

If we don't want to get into fights on this thread and get it locked, how about we all don't post things that get around or circumvent Disney rules as tips and things that we feel justified in doing? Just as I don't want to see someone posting that they sneak their 4 year old in to Disney World for free, I don't want to hear how you ignore the signs and re-use your mugs.

I'm unsure why you quoted me when you wrote this as I never said we shared a drink with our kids, I said I don't see anything wrong with it. I am not the person who originated this topic, I was just providing my input.

I quoted you because of your statement that sharing a drink is not the same as sharing food at a buffet. I was pointing out that some buffet restaurants will charge you for a full meal if they see you sneaking a bite off of someone else's plate. You said there was no way to compare taking a drink out of a mug to eating at a buffet. Well, if you can be charged for a full meal for only taking one bite at a buffet, I think you can compare that with taking one sip out of a mug.

I also stated that I didn't think giving your child a drink out of your mug equaled stealing.

I'm not arguing for either side, or trying to rock the boat in any way, but just had a thought on how people sharing their reusable cups, or giving thier child a sip, would actually impact the cost for everyone else. The way I see it, when Disney chose the price of the cup, they didn't have a definate number to base it on to ensure they made a profit. Before there was the refillable mugs, people would buy drinks separately, and a certain percentage would share their drinks. Disney would never have known just how many people would buy the cup and how many times they'd fill it. They chose that $ amount because they knew that no matter what, they would make a profit. To fill one of those cups with soda probably doesn't even cost Disney a penny. They have no idea how much each person who buys one can drink. 1 person who loves soda might drink twice as much as 2 people sharing a cup. They have no way to judge if they could've made more of a profit. It's not like 50 out of 200 t-shirts they were selling went missing, and now they lost 25% of they're expected profit. If they raise the cost of the mugs, it will be because they always raise the cost eventually. And just incase anyone is wondering, I do buy the mugs for each one of us

I could not have said it better! Thank you.

I just don't get it smoking is OK and it is offensive if people walk through it showing their distain but breastfeeding isn't OK. You do not have to look if you are offended. When was the last time you complained about a Victoria's Secret commercial or the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition? You see more of those women's breasts and bodies than you usually see from a breastfeeding mother, and yet nobody seems to have a problem with seeing women strutting in their lingerie on a commercial during their favorite family sitcom. Obviously, most people in this country have no problem with the female form portrayed in a sexualized manner that is probably the problem. It's only when breasts are used for their intended purpose that most people get offended.

You are in good company! We do the same thing.

This will be our first trip with kids but I expect to both:

1. Tell them we are going back to the hotel if they don't behave
2. Have to follow through the first day so the rest of the trip goes smoothly.

My touring plans even reflect this (have extra time at Animal Kingdom later in the week to be sure we get to do everything).

Sometimes, some of us aren't threatening, we are reminding them that there are consequences.

In fact, just last week, we went to a swimming pool and stayed a whole 10 minutes because my littlest wouldn't behave. I told him we would leave, he kept it up, we left. Didn't do it the next time.

Yeah, I am a big meanie.

And the comment about lying, cheating and stealing was referring to bringing your old mug back, not sharing a sip with your child!:teacher:

Yes, a perfect idea!! And they should be available in a variety of designs so each member of the family can pick their favourite. I hate that the mugs all look the same (or only have slight differences), makes it harder to remember which kid had which cup... then they fight :headache: Not to mention the fact that it's very frustrating paying all that money for cups that all look alike. If they're different, then everyone has a unique momento.

I know, I saw a really cute gold glitter castle travel mug and it was $18- more than a refillable mug anyway! lol Why not just let us buy the mug we want and the sticker separately? Then we could just scan the barcode.

whenever we go to WDW, we get the deluxe dining plan. (have to say, i just love dining at disney :love:). the DxDP comes with refillable mugs for each member of our party, but when we go to eat at our resort, we don't always want to cart all the mugs around .. especially the ones we got for the littler kids, so the adults usually take theirs and we just share.

WE know that we paid for everyone, but i never thought about how it might look to OTHER people (well .. never thought about it til i read this thread). i understand that there are people who buy fewer mugs than their party size and just share, but know that not everyone you see sharing a mug is paying less.

It's like every other retail place on the planet. Prices are set based on materials used, service, and profit. Disney is not going to lower their profit margins, and if they see profit go down, the prices will be raised to put their profit back up. Every time someone cheats the system, steals, destroys merchandise etc, prices will rise to make up for those losses. While it may not seem like a lot at the time (ie "oh it's just one mug of pop"), add that up over the course of a vacation, times the amount of people doing it and all of a sudden we're talking about a decent chunk of money. Of course it's a huge markup on the product anyway, but Disney is there to make money, there's no two ways about that. So every time someone steals and all that, in some fraction, everyone else ends up paying for it.

There are posted rules about those mugs, if you break them, it's stealing no matter how you justify it to yourself. It's stealing to take a gummi bear out of the bulk bin at the grocery store, it's stealing to take a grape off the bunch in the produce department, it's stealing to refill that mug outside of the posted rules.

Ruby Tuesday doesn't haul you to jail if you say, "Yes," when your 7 year old asks for the tomatoes off of your salad bar salad, and I'm sure Disney cares not either if the child has a few sips of mom or dad's soda.

I'm sure Disney realizes that they lose even more money if everyone brings their own soda or buys it off site.

An aside, the Williamsburg mugs are good for all of 2010 and are dated.

Of course you're not going to be arrested for it, but it doesn't make it right.

This seems to be an on going theme with you Scarlet Ibis, you've posted at least 2 issues you've had, which is fine, but have a problem when people don't agree with you. It goes beyond posting an opinion and turns into arguments when you can't get anyone to agree with your opinion. As most people have said, your issues have been with rules, not tips. Rules are in place for a reason, no matter what you think about them.

Ok, this aguement has gone on for a really long time now. Honestly, I think people that have such a huge issue (to the point of being angry) with a kid taking a few sips out of Mom or Dad's cup are just a little bit over the top. I'm sorry, but that's taking the whole "Hall Monitor" thing a little too far. I don't believe for one moment that most of these people in any similar situation would actually say to their child "No you can't have a taste, or a sip, because I only paid for me to drink out of it", unless the kid actually wanted an entire drink for themselves. I'm speaking generally here, not neccessarily just the cups at Disney, but for any similar senario that has been brought up. Some parents might not have intended for their kids to have any of that stuff, maybe brought them juice boxes and milk from the grocery store. If the kid askes for a sip "who cares". I do agree with Scarlet ibis on the point that it's like giving your kid a cherry tomatoe, once again "who cares". I buy the mugs for all of us, and I couldn't care less if a Mommy gives her 3 yr old a sip of soda from her cup.
On the other hand, I agree with the other side on the fact that it is wrong to buy 1 or 2 cups to share amongst a whole family.

The issue is reusing your mugs-not giving your child a drink from yours! And Williamsburg IS NOT DISNEY so get over it. Scarlet_Ibis just likes to start problems as you can see by looking at her previous posts. Your rationalizations are just ridiculous.

I beg to differ, a couple of pages back there was indeed the inference that giving even a sip was still stealing, I was mearly commenting on that. I did infact address the sharing a cup issue by saying I agree with you on that point. Not sure why your saying I'm being ridiculous

I beg to differ, a couple of pages back there was indeed the inference that giving even a sip was still stealing, I was mearly commenting on that. I did infact address the sharing a cup issue by saying I agree with you on that point. Not sure why your saying I'm being ridiculous

Sorry DisneyMomm! I didnt mean to imply you are ridiculous. That wasnt directed at you. Sorry again.

OK - this seems to have become an argument rather than a discussion.

Thanks for participating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter