• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What new "recipe" have you tried out during this quarantine?

Made my first trifle this week (dark chocolate raspberry), though that doesn't really count as a recipe... the only things I actually had to make were instant pudding and some dark chocolate whipped cream. It's more assembling than "cooking."

Getting a hankering for meatballs, going to see if I can get out to IKEA and get some Swedish meatballs that I can slow cook with chili sauce and lingonberry jam.

Probably going to make a mandarin orange liqueur cheesecake this weekend. Just need to find some mandarin orange slices to garnish.

Made my first trifle this week (dark chocolate raspberry), though that doesn't really count as a recipe... the only things I actually had to make were instant pudding and some dark chocolate whipped cream. It's more assembling than "cooking."

Getting a hankering for meatballs, going to see if I can get out to IKEA and get some Swedish meatballs that I can slow cook with chili sauce and lingonberry jam.

Probably going to make a mandarin orange liqueur cheesecake this weekend. Just need to find some mandarin orange slices to garnish.
IKEA here is closed. Is yours actually open?

Today it’s homemade braciole with pine nuts and raisins. DH heard about making it this way and asked me to try it. This will be served with raviolis. Penne also vodka will be for my vegetarian DD.

And, having married an Italian man, we will also have prime rib and roasted peppers baked with Romano cheese and Italian bread crumbs.

I made a few new-to-me recipes:

Flourless banana peanut butter mini muffins with chocolate chips.
Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
Apple crisp (I have made many crisps before but I used a new recipe)
I cooked salmon for the first time (fish is an eat-out food normally)
Today I made a nice lamb curry from scratch

So far, everything has turned out really well!

My husband and I are both still working, and for me it has been a transition to remote teaching, so there hasn't been a ton of creativity with our meals. I did make a new to us recipe that had popped up on Facebook though, which was super easy...a creamy garlic parmesan chicken dish.

There has, however, been a fair amount of beverage experimentation during this stay at home order.

My dd just made Buchty. Which is a Bohemian jam or fruit stuffed dough. Oh, my! SO good. Lately, she has been big on making our heritage food :) Lots of Czech/Bohemian stuff. Most of it has been heavy on the cabbage. I think I like the sweets better :)

Last night I made The Pioneer Woman's chicken asado and homemade black bean soup. It was delicious.

Last edited:
I've made this twice since being in isolation. I share it here because it is simple, delicious, and really easy to adapt to whatever ingredients you may have on hand.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/orecchiette-sausage-broccoli.html#tabbox
I don't think I used broccoli either time I made it. I wilted in some spinach & arugula instead. Today I also added some mushrooms and homemade sun-dried tomatoes. And, of course, I'm sure you could sub whatever pasta you may have (although the little ears are perfect for catching that yummy sauce).

We learned to make fresh pasta (using Kitchenaid pasta rollers we've had for a decade but never used before) which is actually superveasy and fun. We've also figured out how to make the Enchanted Rose expresso martini.

I finally picked a glaze for the ham this year. Gelled nicely with a day's rest and tastes like it'll be perfect for the meat's finish:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes...egion=Glazes for Ham&pgType=collection&rank=1
Of course I did some substitutions (LOL) that reflected my pantry. Used a bit of hot pepper jelly remaining in the house thus lowered the spice and sugar amt. Not sure what the writers meant by specifying red peppercorns so used pink, a little green and black peppercorns. I think any thin skinned citrus would work but did have clementines on hand. Based on a reviewer's critique I peeled the Halo/Cutie (truth be known it's probably a mandarin orange this time of year) and only used a quarter of the skin. Needed less glaze since I've a petit ham so only made a half recipe. The rest will be used to glaze chicken one day.

@porschegrl - I have some of that in the freezer! Yes, it is delicious:cool:.

If you want to try a similar dish w/ ingredients on hand this might interest you. Watch the vid for the entire how to:

https://www.nickstellino.com/recipe/pasta-with-sweet-sausage-ragu/

Last edited:
Well, I don’t want to be boastful 😂 but George Miliotes shared a recipe with me on Twitter and it was delicious 😋.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter