What music do / don't you want to hear in surgery?

pogo791

DIS Veteran
As a spin-off to the thread on worst ring tones to go off in church, would you want to wake up after surgery to hear "Knocking on Heaven's Door"?

Just last week, the BBC had an honest-to-goodness news item on what music surgeons in Cardiff (Wales) listen to in surgery (and it turned out having music in the background is very common).

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-30413978

Smooth Operator? Surgeons and songs are a winning mix, study finds

After a study of music and healing, Cardiff's University Hospital of Wales came up with a tongue-in-cheek list of what to play in theatre. While classical music is preferred by most surgeons, some more current suggestions were put forward.

Some of the comical suggestions for songs to be played during surgery:
Stayin' Alive - the Bee Gees
Smooth Operator - Slade
Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - Slam
Comfortably Numb -Pink Floyd
Fix You - Cold Play

and what not to play:
Another One Bites the Dust - Queen
Everyone Hurts - Rem
Knives Out - Radiohead
Scar Tissue - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Knocking on Heaven's Door - Bob Dyland

Although the songs are only meant as a bit of festive fun from medical staff at the hospital, the benefits of music helping patients and surgeons alike stems from a legitimate study. According to their findings, around 80% of theatre staff said music helped while carrying out operations. They also found that music is played 62-72% of the time in the operating theatre, with songs often chosen by the lead surgeon.

Published in the Christmas issue of the British Medical Journal, theatre staff said music improved communication between staff, reduced anxiety and improved efficiency. They also reported surgical performances were enhanced when music was played by increasing task focus - particularly among surgeons who listen to music regularly.

According to the report's authors, critics argue that music "consumes cognitive bandwidth, reduces vigilance, impairs communication, and proves a distraction when anaesthetic problems are encountered". But they said they "embrace music in the operating theatre whenever the situation allows it".

Don't want to hear:

Hurt - Johnny Cash
The End - The Doors
My Way - Frank Sinatra
or a Junior Mints commercial

I don't want to see, hear, or feel anything during surgery...:rotfl2:

But the worst to hear would probably be Willie Nelson singing:

"The Party's Over"

Turn out the lights
The party's over
They say that
All good things must end
Call it tonight

What I never want to hear is...

Oops, I did it again! Britney Spears, but, especially from the surgeon.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter