What movie did you watch over and over again as a kid?

I was a kid in a pre-VCR era, so we didn't have many movies we got to see on repeat. Every year ABC would show The Ten Commandments on Easter/Passover weekend, and CBS (IIRC) would show The Wizard of Oz each year. Also, The Wonderful World of Color/Wonderful World of Disney would repeat Disney movies sometimes.

The things we watched repeatedly were TV shows. We'd come home from school and this local show "Mr. Cartoon" would be on, showing Looney Tunes cartoons. Then it would go into Gilligan's Island, Mickey Mouse Club (the original) and Star Trek (TOS). We saw them all a gazillion times each but we'd come back for more.

Last edited:
I’m such a dork. I was obsessed with one particular National Geographic special called Bali: Masterpiece of the Gods.

Back then those shows weren’t full of fluff and my grandfather would record educational episodes on tv and give several to me each time I would visit. My grandmother insisted on exposing me to more classical books and broadway shows but my grandfather indulged my dreaming and curiosity about life around the globe.

Pre-VCR, I would have to rely on what they aired over and over on cable tv. Beastmaster was one of my favorites, and luckily it was on all the time. I was a weird kid :rolleyes1

Another old fogey here. We didn't have a VCR until I was around fourteen. Anyway, the anticipation of a favorite movie coming on every year was more fun that popping in a tape or disc. Our local ABC channel showed Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory every Easter Sunday evening. After we had to get all dressed up to go and see our grandparents it was fun to come home, put our pjs on, and stuff ourselves with candy while watching the movie.

Another pre vcr/dvd person here. I remember watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on Thanksgiving every year. We always had Thanksgiving at my grandparents' house and they had a color TV. Other movies I remember watching a lot was the Wizard of Oz and Sound of Music.

In the 60s are recreational park with a hall would show Jerry Lewis movies over and over and over with an occasional Zebra in the Kitchen.

my son in 1999 would watch The Little Prince over and over, way over his head as 5 year old

Toy Story, Aristocats. Really, a lot of my Disney tapes. I came close to wearing a couple of them out.

My parents didn’t censor much so as a young kid I had eclectic taste lol

the Parent Trap ( Haley Mills)
Pollyanna
Grease
Indiana Jones Raiders of the lost ark
Blazing Saddles

When I was a kid there were no videos, tapes, cds, etc. You couldn't watch anything over and over; you could only see it once a year when it was aired. Those were shows like Wizard of Oz, Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol, and Charlie Brown Christmas.

None over and over. They had to be on TV to watch.....no recording options then

I probably watched Back to the Future a ton when I was a kid. I did watch the movies Trading Places and Coming to America a ton too. Robin Hood and Alice in Wonderland were the Disney movies of repetition too.

None over and over. They had to be on TV to watch.....no recording options then
It's funny you mention this because I am on a hi-fi forum and there is literally a thread right now asking about VCRs from childhood. About half the people there were from an era where those didn't exist yet. So none of them could really answer.

I probably watched Back to the Future a ton when I was a kid. I did watch the movies Trading Places and Coming to America a ton too. Robin Hood and Alice in Wonderland were the Disney movies of repetition too.

It's funny you mention this because I am on a hi-fi forum and there is literally a thread right now asking about VCRs from childhood. About half the people there were from an era where those didn't exist yet. So none of them could really answer.

Yep.....no VCRs. Only a few channels on TV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter