• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What makes your home unique?

Compared to our friends and family, we live in a historical district in a house that’s over 100 years old on a one way street. We are also the only house I know that doesn’t have a bathroom on the main floor, you either have to go upstairs or downstairs. And we have no driveway which I admit I didn’t notice until after we put in an offer on the house (less snow to clean in the winter!) Other than those little things, nothing really.

The front doors. We remodeled 7 years ago and replaced the 30+ year contractor grade double doors with doors made of solid alder. They really are stunning and everyone comments on them. We were able to add a sliding screen door that retracts, and the metal frame work is painted to match the alder, and it is an exact match. Everyone that comes to the house comments on how nice the doors are.

Probably the gryphon planter in the front garden - in the middle of the herbs.
Most of the neighbours here seem to have neatly sculped shrubs and ornamental flowers.
My front yard looks like a hot mess. :tilt:

The fact that I live here :-)

Other than that nothing really makes it unique - it's a brick Cape Cod built in 1985 - it's a pretty boring house.

My husband painted the ugly front door a deep teal and we put in some unusual front yard decorative lighting. I get lots of compliments on it.

Our main patio and entertaining area is in the front of the house, not the back. We've always used it that way and finally last summer we redid all the hardscape (new rock wall, etc.) Can't wait to entertain again! We have plenty of privacy from the road from trees and a pretty good sized lawn up front, so it works for us. We have a small back yard that is basically just a place for the dog to poop.

Last edited:
My bar.

I'm a homebrewer and my FIL and I built a 2 tap kegerator for my home brew. Onto that i built a wet bar and a whiskey bar. We host a lot of parties and it's usually where most guests hang out.

I'm planning to build another on my patio

Nothing really, it is pretty much a cookie cutter house... In this subdivision there are like 3 different floor-plans available and that's it. The exteriors also all look remarkably similar.

The house I currently live in was built by my Uncle's father from his own design, and has a very unique layout. And he made sure there was a finished basement, which was decorated by my aunt and uncle after they moved in 40 years ago to be reminiscent of an Irish pub. We have a sound system plus a jukebox, pool table, full bar, etc. It was recently carpeted so now it's also a lot less basement-like. Oh, and it stays decorated for Christmas all year 'round.

Well it's a 1904 home; and, I have a massive walk in closet (15x9); and, an equally large laundry room (15x8). These are both really nice for a home of this age. And the wood trim has never been painted, the original stained trim and doors are still intact.

My house was built as a 6x6 double house around 100 years ago. It was converted 35, or so, years ago to a single family home. We bought it as a single home, 28 years ago.

The master bedroom was extended to include the old hallway and one bedroom was cut to make a large walk-in closet and the bathroom was extended to make it larger.

Compared to our friends and family, we live in a historical district in a house that’s over 100 years old on a one way street. We are also the only house I know that doesn’t have a bathroom on the main floor, you either have to go upstairs or downstairs. And we have no driveway which I admit I didn’t notice until after we put in an offer on the house (less snow to clean in the winter!) Other than those little things, nothing really.
I live in an old town with a ton of 100+ year old houses, including mine, we added a first floor bathroom, many have. We have a hidden staircase behind the refrigerator for the help, we have stairs going to the third floor where the help bedroom is. We made out bathroom out of the butlers pantry. Our house is 1600 square feet, I can’t imagine why there was help. We have an old magazine advertising our house, plus others, in this “development“ in 1910.

I guess its age. The new section was built in 1857. We don’t know the age of the original house but it’s definitely much older. It is cool knowing that our house was around during the time that Thomas Edison lived in town as a boy. Who knows maybe they visited here?

best white trash trailer in the hood, two trailers put together, all windows....rich folks who come to visit just love our place and it is bigger than any other home of our Yuma family, that we host the holiday meals. And because we are poor and had to buy the furniture and decor at estate auctions,,, we have the best southwest border interior of any home of our neighbhors or Yuma family... folks just can't get over how Marthat STewart our home blends traditional native and border art.

The chokey. 😄 We have this creepy little cubby in the basement, we think where they hit stone ledge and gave up trying to dig out that area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter