• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What makes you feel old?

I was cleaning up some legal paperwork yesterday and found the paperwork from 2012 when I had to move my mom into a Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly.
By law in California, these facilities are for people over the age of 60. I turned 60 this year.

I am 40. For me it’s working with others who were born in the 90s. I also got married while they were in middle school.
I found out that I am closer in age to my coworker’s mother than to my coworker. Her mom had her young and since she had a child young, her mom became a grandma in her 30’s.
Seeing previews for the I, Tonya movie and remembering the whole ordeal unfold on tv back in 1994.
Having to explain to young coworkers certain 80s references and movies.
Having no digital photos of myself when I was in my early 20s or earlier because digital cameras didn’t exist. Liking those buzzfeed posts on college life in the 90s. The 90s still feels like it’s 10 years ago not almost 30!
The kids I used to babysit growing up are in their 30s with kids of their own!

Funny enough, I don't feel old yet, and I'm 57 (my oldest turned 30 today, and that makes me think that my KIDS are old... but not me yet ... lol). But, if I had to choose something, it would be that I'm okay passing on big roller coasters. I used to want to ride all of them, but these days I'm okay not going to places like Magic Mountain. At work, we been enjoying bringing up old sayings to our younger coworkers to see if they they have heard of them, then it gets to the discussion of how those sayings came about and what they came to mean. I try to use them from time to time so as not to lose them - kind of ties me to my childhood and how my parents expressed themselves.
Some examples:
  • bend your ear/ chew your ear
  • cold shoulder
  • calling someone a turkey or ham
  • let your hair down
  • There are a lot more, and more relevant than these, but they're what are at the top of my head

Last edited:
I feel old when I think about what my parents were doing at my age and how old I thought they were at the time. I also feel old when I go to a doctor that is younger than me.

This ^
On our last flight we saw the pilot board, he looked so young he could have been playing dress up. I am used to people in authority positions being older than me.

Today's mail carried with it another thing that made me feel old. An offer to attend a seminar on cremation.

I find myself doing that a lot with singers and bands. I like to think of myself as pretty knowledgeable about music but when my daughter plays me a song from The Cramps or Ween I feel like a geezer (plus it’s not good) LOL

Ween is a pretty old band. I'm 36 and used to listen to some of their stuff in HS. My kids are into the Chainsmokers, whoever they are!

Niece #4 ( youngest) starting High School, Nephew # 2 getting his Driver's Licence and Nephew #1 oldest child starting kindergarten this fall. How did I get old enough to be a Great Aunt

I have the same - my hair is SO thick, that it breaks regular binders frequently. I might just have to get scrunchies again and not feel so self conscious having it on my wrist ;)

Another thing - I work for a big corporation and every June the interns start. And they look like babies. They take over the cafeteria and elevators and I feel SO ancient trying to maneuver by these babies wearing their dad's suits..
That’s actually what makes me feel old lately. For my whole life I complained about how thick my hair was. Like it was a bad thing. Now in the shower, just clumps of hair. THAT makes me feel old. No aches or pains or anything and I still feel pretty spry(does using the word spry make me old?) so I am grateful for that.

Turning 40 in Sept went a long way towards making me feel old. Also, like @Princess_Ariel_5, I work with teenagers so I'm constantly reminded how much older I am than them. It's not just about their music or social media either, it's also just how much more grounded I feel as a person than I did 25 years ago when I was in their shoes. Their inexperience and their often immature emotional reactions to things remind me how much more sensible I am now and what I've learned from experience.....I am a full blown grown up and that feels a little old, lol.

Last edited:
When I can no longer eat what I want when I want without gaining weight. I used to be a bottomless pit and the scale never budged. Now if I even think of food, I swear I gain a pound. Also, when I'm in any theme park on any given ride or attraction, even on a roller coaster with everyone screaming their heads off and I'm thinking about what restaurant we're going to eat at next or what I'm going to order. When awesome food is more appealing to me than awesome thrills..............

LOL Led Zeppelin being played in my grocery store, in the middle of a weekday, makes me feel pretty old.

It's a mental trick--you need to buy groceries to make...A Whole Lotta Lunch, A Whole Lotta Lunch
Woman! Deeeeep down insiiide...youuuu neeeed.....lunnnnnnncccccccchhhhhhh. Bake for me girl, I wanna be your produce maaan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter