What makes you choose a WDW resort?

I already posted about some things, but I just reread your original post, OP, and I want to add a couple of things.

(1) The dining plan is no longer a money-saver, if it ever was. Apparently they clearly state this now, that it's for convenience only. Frankly, it was never worth it for me even when it was supposedly some kind of discount, but it may have been for you.

(2) I am not a fan of a split stay. The day you change resorts, you probably won't have a room in the middle of the day, which is when we often come back to the resort. Also, one ends up living out of a suitcase during split stays (yes, I've done this) and I like to get to my resort, unpack, and settle in. Perhaps this isn't a consideration for you, but it's something to think about.

(3) Someone upthread mentioned renting DVC points. If you decide to go this route, just be aware that this is very very different from reserving a room through WDW directly. If you rent DVC points, you will have zero flexibility, won't be able to cancel without a severe penalty (often the cost of the entire stay), and will usually not be able to modify any of your trip plans. You haven't been in 8 years. I highly advise against doing this unless you're 100% certain that there could never be any mitigating circumstances and are also fine with paying for a trip you might not be able to take for any number of reasons. I have had to rearrange trips and a couple of times have gone home early for different reasons. WDW is extremely accommodating under these circumstances. A DVC rental is not.
So a few things,
The dinning plan will be back in Jan of 2024.
Your mileage may vary with value, I always realize a 25 to 35 percent savings with it, but I have heard other could not justify it…

When you rent DVC you are renting someone personal time share…. Terms depend on who you are renting from and where in their use year you rent their points….

Last minute changes are highly unlikely,
That is correct. However, that is really the only part of your trip you are giving up control over.

I would also say last minute booking is not a thing, plan to book at least 7 months in advance if not closer to 11

I know I work with my renters to help them to best of my ability, including up to moving trips from one use year to another and re renting the trip they could not take.

With any large purchase your due diligence goes along way!

However, outside of the booking process and adding a dinning plan to the room if you choose you have control of:

You book your dinning reservations,
Your park plans,
You purchase your park passes,
Most of these you book on the MDE app.
You link you reservation number to the app and you are pretty much set…

The biggest difference between DVC rental and a hotel rental is maid service….

but if you want steak on a chicken tender budget, you make some concessions.

If this is something you are considering,
Do some research here on this site, and the commercial sites …

Make an informed decision

These are the reasons we loved staying on site:
  1. Fastpasses, and being able to book them for free and earlier than off site guests....gone for good I feel.
  2. Free parking at resorts/parks, although that's now returned, I feel Disney owe me over $200 that I paid for parking last year.
  3. Resort delivery of in-park shopping. We visited for many Christmas holidays, and it meant we could buy Disney presents and collect later, when my nephew was asleep. Now, I just want it for the convenience of not having to carry bulky goods around the park.
But Disney have me now, once we stayed on site (back in 2011) it was not conceivable for us to stay off site again. We love being in the bubble, and don't leave it until travelling back to the airport. When it comes to Disney all common sense goes out of the window 😄 Roll on 2025 for our next visit from the UK.

These are the reasons we loved staying on site:
  1. Fastpasses, and being able to book them for free and earlier than off site guests....gone for good I feel.
  2. Free parking at resorts/parks, although that's now returned, I feel Disney owe me over $200 that I paid for parking last year.
  3. Resort delivery of in-park shopping. We visited for many Christmas holidays, and it meant we could buy Disney presents and collect later, when my nephew was asleep. Now, I just want it for the convenience of not having to carry bulky goods around the park.
But Disney have me now, once we stayed on site (back in 2011) it was not conceivable for us to stay off site again. We love being in the bubble, and don't leave it until travelling back to the airport. When it comes to Disney all common sense goes out of the window 😄 Roll on 2025 for our next visit from the UK.
@nursejackie: AFAIK, WDW hasn't done this since the pandemic. But perhaps you have more recent information?

Hi all! It's been 8 yrs now since I've been to WDW & stayed at a resort. My granddaughter's mom and I just decided to take her next yr for her bday when she will turn 9 (2nd week of Sept). We discussed a split stay, value/mod and then maybe a night or 2 at a deluxe, but if the extra hours at night are only on select days of the week, that's probably not going to do much for us, if anything. I'm 100% VA disabled, so SoG is an option also, although I'd love for their 1st visit to be completely immersed in Disney. No theming there, no dining plan option.

So my question is this: with all of the perks that are now gone, or that you now have to pay for, what is it exactly that makes you still decide to pay more money at a WDW resort? I know this may be different for everyone, so I'm looking forward to some persuasion! 😂 Thanks in advance!
Honestly, price is pretty much the only factor currently. I used to look forward to trying new resorts but I hit my price ceiling in 2012. We stayed at AOA in a cars family suite and it was great with my family of 5. I think we paid $375 a night? Now with the price of tickets and the fact that my kids are older we do family trips to Universal. Hotels are great as is express pass.

I still go to Disney cause I love it. But I go with my mom and we stay at value resorts. Deluxe prices for what you get are offensive and the Mods and the values feel similar enough to me that I don’t feel the need to pay for a mod. My current favorite value is all star movies cause the theme is adorable.

The early entry, extended evening hours, convenience, immersive Disney experience.

In the past, we stayed at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek a lot instead of Disney resorts. But in the past few years, I feel like I no longer enjoy my non-resort days there. We also like the dining options better at the deluxe resorts.

Hi all! It's been 8 yrs now since I've been to WDW & stayed at a resort. My granddaughter's mom and I just decided to take her next yr for her bday when she will turn 9 (2nd week of Sept). We discussed a split stay, value/mod and then maybe a night or 2 at a deluxe, but if the extra hours at night are only on select days of the week, that's probably not going to do much for us, if anything. I'm 100% VA disabled, so SoG is an option also, although I'd love for their 1st visit to be completely immersed in Disney. No theming there, no dining plan option.

So my question is this: with all of the perks that are now gone, or that you now have to pay for, what is it exactly that makes you still decide to pay more money at a WDW resort? I know this may be different for everyone, so I'm looking forward to some persuasion! 😂 Thanks in advance!
Aloha,
Most important is to know the desires of your audience. Is this trip to please your grandchild or yourself? If your grandchild’s happiness is your top priority, what are her priorities? At age nine, it might be a resort with a great pool and resort theming. More pool time and less parks. Or she may be heavily into princes and rides then proximity to MK or her favorite park.

My family has been staying more and more at the Swan and Dolphin resorts. You get the great location of the Boardwalk, but at a third of the cost of a Disney resort, even after adding in fees. And you get the deluxe resort perk of the evening hours in the parks too.

If I am taking a budget trip I will stay at a Disney value. I've priced the resorts at Disney Springs, but they seem to come up the same cost, if not more expensive once you add in fees.

I have stayed off site before, but I would much rather be at a Disney resort. No off site resort can match the transportation the Disney resorts offer, and I don't like to drive. Plus that extra half hour at the parks in the morning is golden.

We have been staying onsite since 1971 when my parents paid $29.99 for a room at the Polynesian.

It's a whole 'vibe' thing, maybe can't be justified in economic terms.

We like being in Disney Resorts, in tons of stays we have never had a complaint about a room, this record is not matched in other non Disney hotels or resorts. Any small concerns we ever had were taken care of very quickly and above and beyond our satisfaction.

We have absolutely no complaints about Disney transportation, we love monorails, skyliners, buses, boats, everything.

We hardly ever even GO offsite, everything we want is there.

We were probably Disney's target market for DVC, but, we never bought, even though we go every year and sometimes more. One prob for DVC with us is I'm an addicted researcher and I will change plans & resorts in a heartbeat. When DVC started one of my issues was no housekeeping, that just does not scream DELUXE to me. Also, when DVC started some conversations on message boards turned me off...How to steal supplies off the maids cart; How to finagle more clean towels, etc.

I'll rent DVC points that someone else paid for, and have probably 6 or 8 times. However it's hardly ever 12 or 7 months in advance and it's either from an owner or already confirmed reservations. And up until Covid I would always pay extra for daily housekeeping service.

Onsite people are just onsite people.

For me it’s being completely surrounded by all things Disney for my entire trip. I want to be able to get a Mickey bar at my hotel whenever I want 😂 I also am willing to spend more money on deluxe hotels for their proximity to the parks which I have found to be invaluable as a parent of young children. I will do shorter trips so I can afford the higher price tag vs longer trips elsewhere. I’ve stayed off site and it felt far less magical even though arguably I got a much larger room for my money or the same size room for far less.

Proximity to the parks.

We usually do split stays, the past few have been 3 resorts (AKV, BCV [or BWV] and BLT).
Lately though, just two BCV [or BWV] and BLT (although we have thrown in GF into the mix)

When we want to do stuff at Animal Kingdom, we stay at AKV (although the past two trips have been at EPCOT resorts since we have to bus anyhow to AK)
When we want to do stuff at EPCOT or Hollywood Studios, we stay at BCV or BWV. We walk into EPCOT (back entrance) and boat over to HS.
When we want to do stuff at MK, we stay at BLT. We walk and go through security on the walkway.

You can find lots of older threads on this topic. Most of them talk about choosing your hotel based on budget and what you think of the subjective topic of theming since everyone seems to have their own preferences. To some extent also depends on which park(s) you plan to spend the most time. If you mostly visit Epcot, then staying on the other side of the property at one of the monorail resorts doesn't seem like the best plan. Similarly, if you mostly visit MK, then staying at an Epcot area resort also isn't the best option.

Over the years we have stayed both at DIsney and also various nearby hotels. Liked all of them for various reasons. Some people like Disney transportation while others don't.

You can walk to Poly from SOG but it seems Disney doesn't really encourage that. At that point it makes more sense to hop the monorail to MK. Seems it is also a safety consideration since they don't want people walking along busy roadways on the property. There is a pathway between the Contemporary & MK that many people use. With all of the traffic/congestion/construction and large distance between most Disney places, walking in general isn't very practical.
The walkway from SOG to Poly is completely gone and all access blocked:

https://www.shadesofgreen.org/about-shades-green/current-projects#:~:text=It is anticipated to be completed by October 2025.&text=Starting Monday, May 1, 2023,will no longer be accessible.

873FCB52-53B0-476B-8FB3-91D2C7A4210A.jpeg

Last edited:
Disney bubble is nice, I like the town halls, activities, staff and atmosphere at most of the Deluxe’s.
Mainly we stay onsite because via timeshare exchange we can get a dvc villa for same cost as staying offsite. Or we rent dvc points during low season. If we weren’t doing that, I would not stay onsite.
Imho the Disney value and moderates are grossly overpriced for what you get. Disney transportation is sometimes convenient but we always have a car, I don’t mind driving and on average you can get from your hotel room door to park turnstile quicker by driving then using Disney transportation.

My DH and I were just talking about this and for him it is about the transportation. Even when you choose to drive your own car parking at the parks is free. That cost adds up quickly. For me it is about the Disney bubble. I love the resort themes. Waking up and walking the resorts and seeing all the Disney details especially before others are up and moving. There is a just feel of magic we get when we are there.

On a side note a friend of mine is going for a few days at Spring Break. She asked for my help and wanted to stay at AKL. I gave the advice I could and also suggested renting DVC points as it is 3 families with two families of 5 and one family of 3. We looked up at Grand Villa at Kidani and it was available I walked her through the process of renting points. We picked parks based on extra hours for staying at a deluxe. Then her family decided it would be a better choice to save money and stay off site. They booked off property and I am hoping it all goes well. She seemed surprised when I told her about the cost of parking and then when we looked up shuttles from her resort they only drop off at TTC and only twice in the morning and twice in the evening both before fireworks. I am hoping her trip goes well but I worry they will not get the experience that they would have if they stayed on property.

I'm currently planning my first trip, and for me it's transportation and ease of getting to/from the parks. By the time you've calculated in rental car/parking and/or ride share, you haven't really saved much money in comparison to the values and most moderate resorts. Throw in the mix that I have a disability that both makes it difficult for me to drive in situations with lots of other moving cars/people, and necessitates and afternoon break from the park, and on-property resorts with fluid transport to/from the parks are pretty much a no-brainer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter