• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What kind of numbers does Florida need to come off of the quarantine list?

Does Southwest airlines provide a passenger list to the NY health officials waiting for you when you get off the airplane at NY airports?
I’m not sure that they do unless a case is confirmed. When I got my call from DOH, 2 days after we returned home from FL, they asked me for my flight info. That leads me to believe it was not there with the DOH agent doing her follow up with me.

So NY numbers are unfortunately rising. I wonder if we reach 10% here in NY if Cuomo will be allow us to travel to other states that are at about the same levels without having to quarantine. My trip is in November and I’m hoping we don’t have to cancel. I wouldn’t mind having to take a test upon return to avoid quarantine. We did a 14 quarantine in September after our trip. It was not fun 😔
I hope that would be the case because my trip is also in November now, I just moved it from this week. I just don't think Governor Cuomo would do that since we test more than any state, 7 times more than Florida yesterday, yet Florida still saw more cases.

I'm reasonably certain they all do, though admittedly I do not have experience with SouthWest. When my daughter flew home on American to NY from Michigan, when Michigan was not even on the list, the whole system was very integrated. She received a copy of the NY form and rules from AA before she boarded, and received follow up communications from NYS DOH during the 2 week period after she arrived -- even though they had already certified based on her form that she did not have to quarantine. I would be shocked if any major airline were opting out of this system.

Did she fly out of Detroit? Or even change planes in Detroit?

I'm sure people are flying out of hotspots in the upper Midwest, changing planes in Detroit and landing in NY. I'm sure NY state will want to catch anyone coming from a hotspot.

And, unfortunately, I'm sure there's some, coming from hotspots, who doesn't want to quarantine.

Did she fly out of Detroit? Or even change planes in Detroit?

I'm sure people are flying out of hotspots in the upper Midwest, changing planes in Detroit and landing in NY. I'm sure NY state will want to catch anyone coming from a hotspot.

And, unfortunately, I'm sure there's some, coming from hotspots, who doesn't want to quarantine.
She flew from Detroit and had been in Michigan, and only Michigan, for several months beforehand.
At any given time it seems that 30-40 states are on the New York list, so no matter where you are, apart from New England (sometimes), you're probably within a border of somewhere on the list. I've heard from other people who have flown in to NY as well. Whether you fly from a hot state or not, they make you fill out the form and tell them if you have recently been in a hot state. And sometimes they follow up even if you're not required to quarantine.

So NY numbers are unfortunately rising. I wonder if we reach 10% here in NY if Cuomo will allow us to travel to other states that are at about the same levels without having to quarantine. My trip is in November and I’m hoping we don’t have to cancel. I wouldn’t mind having to take a test upon return to avoid quarantine. We did a 14 day quarantine in September after our trip. It was not fun 😔
With NY numbers rising, it would be counterproductive for Cuomo to allow travel to other states with equally high numbers. It would be inviting a spike in numbers, and he wants to keep it as low as possible. If anything, I see him tightening restrictions if NY numbers continue to rise.

Also, I mentioned up-thread that a test in lieu of quarantine isn't really effective since the virus can develop at any point during the 14 day incubation period. If you test negative on day 4, and the virus develops on day 6, then its still a risk. I know other states are allowing a test, but I think Cuomo is of the opinion that its too risky. He's definitely on the extreme "err on the side of caution", and I'm sure that's because of the craziness in NYC at the start.

Does Southwest airlines provide a passenger list to the NY health officials waiting for you when you get off the airplane at NY airports?
Its been my understanding from others I know that passenger manifests are not cross-referenced. I can only speak to the Buffalo airport, but from what I have been told, arriving passengers are ushered into a room before they can leave the secured area and they are made to fill out forms containing their contact information and quarantine location. The health department then follows up by phone a day or two later to confirm the information. They do ask for your arriving flight information on the form, but there's been nothing I have read or heard that they actually are using resources to cross-reference passenger manifests. Since they call to verify, the only purpose would be to locate arriving passengers that they have not been able to make contact with and may have possibly provided false contact information. By the time its determined contact can't be a made, a few days have already gone by and it would be a waste of resources to track down a person that is nearly halfway through their quarantine period.

This didn't age well. Florida just posted some of their lowest numbers in a long time.
Florida is showing 12% as of yesterday, which is a bit higher than they have been. They did show 9.53% as of Saturday, which is their lowest in a while, but the database I look at shows "0" for daily positives, so I think there was an error in the data feed that day causing the percentage to look deceivingly low.

With NY numbers rising, it would be counterproductive for Cuomo to allow travel to other states with equally high numbers. It would be inviting a spike in numbers, and he wants to keep it as low as possible. If anything, I see him tightening restrictions if NY numbers continue to rise.

I’m personally just so tired of being told where I can or can’t travel without quarantine. Covid does not seem to be going away anytime soon so we need to learn to live with it. If NY gets to 10% and FL is at 10%, travel bans should be lifted. If we continue to wear masks, social distance and wash our hands we should be able to go about our daily lives and get our economy up and running. I am still hopeful I can travel to Florida in November but the reality is I will probably be forced to cancel if NY mandated quarantine is not lifted.

I’m personally just so tired of being told where I can or can’t travel without quarantine. Covid does not seem to be going away anytime soon so we need to learn to live with it. If NY gets to 10% and FL is at 10%, travel bans should be lifted. If we continue to wear masks, social distance and wash our hands we should be able to go about our daily lives and get our economy up and running. I am still hopeful I can travel to Florida in November but the reality is I will probably be forced to cancel if NY mandated quarantine is not lifted.

I'm with you. I have a Nov 7 trip planned. I'm in NJ, and I report to work everyday so I can't quarantine for 14 days. So sad that I will probably need to cancel my $26 round trip flights!!! I was so excited to get that price.

I agree! I am a health care professional & take the virus seriously & follow all precautions as recommended. Numbers are rising in NY just a little slower than they are in the rest of the country. I can go sit in a bar in NY for hours on end every day, but I can’t go to Florida & follow all the same precautions I do in NY. Even tho sitting unmasked, in a bar with loosely defined distancing & people naturally loosening their precautions is fine. The virus is in NY state. Preventing travel won’t prevent numbers from going up in NY. It is happening right now. I am furious that I am a 63 years old & l don’t get to make my own decisions on keeping myself safe during this pandemic.

I agree! I am a health care professional & take the virus seriously & follow all precautions as recommended. Numbers are rising in NY just a little slower than they are in the rest of the country. I can go sit in a bar in NY for hours on end every day, but I can’t go to Florida & follow all the same precautions I do in NY. Even tho sitting unmasked, in a bar with loosely defined distancing & people naturally loosening their precautions is fine. The virus is in NY state. Preventing travel won’t prevent numbers from going up in NY. It is happening right now. I am furious that I am a 63 years old & l don’t get to make my own decisions on keeping myself safe during this pandemic.
Agreed. No one should tell someone where they can and cannot go. I am a teacher in NY and plan on visiting in March. I have been working harder than ever and now even more value the importance of making memories with my family. If they make me quarantine for 14 days after , I guess I just get a longer vacation than I’ve ever received. As the holidays approach there is no way this is going to be enforced. We are all on borrowed time. No one should tell someone they cannot visit family members. Therefore this will be the most unenforceable and idiotic order while holidays occur. People ( and students included ) will be forced to be dishonest so they are not punished for wanting to spend time with your families.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. But I also see how Cuomo has been operating, and removing the quarantine if we get to 10% would be in direct contrast to everything he has been saying and doing. The whole purpose of the shutdown back in March was to flatten the curve and prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. But, once that occurred, it became a power trip about getting numbers as low as possible and keeping restrictions in place to keep the numbers that way. NY is less than 3 or 4% at this point. If we spike to 10%, that would be a huge jump and Cuomo will freak out and bring us back to Phase 1 or worse. He certainly would not allow travel to states with similar levels, since that would only add to the spike. So many people will travel once that quarantine mandate is lifted. So, restrictions would be tightened, not loosened, if we hit a number that high again (God forbid!).

I wholeheartedly agree with you. But I also see how Cuomo has been operating, and removing the quarantine if we get to 10% would be in direct contrast to everything he has been saying and doing. The whole purpose of the shutdown back in March was to flatten the curve and prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. But, once that occurred, it became a power trip about getting numbers as low as possible and keeping restrictions in place to keep the numbers that way. NY is less than 3 or 4% at this point. If we spike to 10%, that would be a huge jump and Cuomo will freak out and bring us back to Phase 1 or worse. He certainly would not allow travel to states with similar levels, since that would only add to the spike. So many people will travel once that quarantine mandate is lifted. So, restrictions would be tightened, not loosened, if we hit a number that high again (God forbid!).
Once the election is done and Cuomo does or does not know if Biden will make him AG then we will see things change. Simple politics.

Once the election is done and Cuomo does or does not know if Biden will make him AG then we will see things change. Simple politics.
We should probably shift topics since political discussions are prohibited on the Dis and I really don't want this thread to be locked - I enjoy commiserating and watching the numbers with people in the same boat as me!

Where do you see NY #s that low? I look at the covidactnow.org site and it shows 7.2 per 100k. I’m curious where the official numbers come from.
You're right - its the region I live in (upstate) that has the low percentage. Overall, as of Tuesday, they are at 7.2%.

So we're going Nov 10-14 from NY and flying SW. I understand I need to quarantine for 14 days when we get back, at least as of right now, but what I don't understand is do they check? Like how will anyone know if I'm actually home all 14 days? Is it honor system? I'm not planning on breaking it, but I have 3 kids, and there's a chance I might need to leave the house to take them somewhere or go to a store or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter