What is your WDW vacation alternative?

We go to Colorado every summer to a dude ranch. Its been open since May so we are not going to miss it. Instead of flying we are driving. Going from Chicago through SD and Wyoming to all the national parks and badlands etc. I already made hotel reservations for the 6 nights we are taking to get there. We Usually just wing it on driving trips but we have a schedule and are in decent hotels every night instead of the $69 special my husband usually likes. I’m not concerned about restaurants or bathrooms. We will have our masks and gloves and lots of hand washing as needed. We have missed a trip to Africa, another to aulani and a cruise on the fantasy since March. And the pool at our club still has not opened. I’m desperate to go somewhere! We are scheduled to go to DW in September. And still hope to. We cancelled a trip to Mexico for October and instead are doing a driving trip out East.

I really REALLY thought DD12 and I would keep our Labor Day girls-only WDW trip...until this week. I'm really concerned about the skyrocketing cases of COVID-19 in Florida and I am not confident that they will be able to get a handle on things in Florida by Labor Day, so we cancelled our trip today. Instead, we rented a secluded cabin on a little lake in northern Michigan. We're also doing a couple of other little weekend getaways in Michigan this summer too. We live in SE Michigan and I always forget how beautiful parts of our state are...we're just going to make the most of what we've got close by this summer!

We are renting a house with a pool in the gulf area of Florida in August. We will drive down, and I will bring wipes and clean high touch areas when we arrive. We will stay in the house and pool, venture a couple of blocks to the beach when it is not too crowded, eat mostly in the house with some take out and possibly a meal dining outside if we see a place that seems to have tables far enough apart. My husband will also do a scuba dive while we are there. We will wash our hands frequently, use sanitizer when a restroom is not available, and wear a mask when needed while trying to maintain several feet distance from other people just like we do at home. That's where our comfort level is right now. Disney will still be there once the pandemic has subsided, in the mean time we will try to live our lives and enjoy ourselves while using reasonable precautions and avoiding crowded indoor places.

If I am cancelling vacation to Disney because it's not safe, why would I plan another vacation, it's just as unsafe in the rest of the country?
There are safer alternatives to a theme park. Granted you will still likely have more points of contact with others than if you had just stayed home but we did 2 years without any sort of a vacation once and it was awful so I could see someone wanting to try to get away even if it slightly raises their risk.

If I am cancelling vacation to Disney because it's not safe, why would I plan another vacation, it's just as unsafe in the rest of the country?

Florida is a hotspot and is on track to becoming the new epicenter of the virus. Many other states are holding steady or even on track to containment. Planning a little getaway in your own state, especially one that's been doing a good job at bringing the curve down, is much safer than heading down to Florida right now.

Florida is a hotspot and is on track to becoming the new epicenter of the virus. Many other states are holding steady or even on track to containment. Planning a little getaway in your own state, especially one that's been doing a good job at bringing the curve down, is much safer than heading down to Florida right now.
We are headed to Florida for 4th of July week. The July trip to Disney was the last week of July, before school starts.

Disagree. There are many lower risk vacations that can be had. We're doing one instead of Disney.
Yeah, looking at several options, was curious what people are doing. The kids want to do the beach, but we would have been just weeks before. (Grandparents have a place at the beach)

We live locally and had a September trip planned at VWL and haven't yet activated our APs we just bought in March, so we are thinking of avoiding the whole mask, no park hopping/fastpasses and lesser experiences and are looking into a condo at the beach or renting a house with a pool near the coast. Will try and reschedule for our week off in December and just enjoy a Disney resort before the holidays and avoid the parks until next year or later.

Cancelled our Disney April trip before Disney announced closings as we saw things were looking too bleak for us. Have no plans on when to go to Disney again. Will not schedule as long as the virus threat is here, and Disney has closed, or otherwise restricted so many things we enjoyed. Will just use utmost caution and wait.

We always take several motorhome trips each year to Smokies and different other areas, so will just enjoy our other destinations.

Disagree. There are many lower risk vacations that can be had. We're doing one instead of Disney.

Ahhhh. I think it's semantics with me. I see a 'vacation' as a big trip to a destination. Travel/Plans/Tours, etc. Hitting the beach or going to a nearby museum or something like that is not what I think of in terms of vacation. So yes, I might do a 1 day activity or maybe go visit a friend to visit, but I don't consider a lot of lower risk excursions a vacation.

Just about any place whose name is followed by "National Park." But usually those have to be booked WAY in advance to get reservations inside the park.

We're going to be consumed this summer with moving our college freshman into her university...hopefully! After that, we're looking at a couple of shorter trips -- some college related, some not -- in the early Fall.

Then, from early December (maybe from Thanksgiving) DD will have a break until January 11 I believe. So we might do something in that time frame.

Ahhhh. I think it's semantics with me. I see a 'vacation' as a big trip to a destination. Travel/Plans/Tours, etc. Hitting the beach or going to a nearby museum or something like that is not what I think of in terms of vacation. So yes, I might do a 1 day activity or maybe go visit a friend to visit, but I don't consider a lot of lower risk excursions a vacation.
I can see that. And I'll admit this is different than anything we've done before - or had planned this year. But in the end we're traveling just as far, but getting to go for longer. So in the current context, it 100% counts as a vacation for me!

We may take a trip to the Smokies in October but we have not made a final decision. We usually do one Disney trip and then something else every year. We already had our Disney trip in February so that took care of that. I had a week off this month and a week off next month. I turned in the week I had earlier this month and I've already turned in my week for next month. I have one more week in October so we're just waiting. We decided in April that it was too much of a hassle to try to plan anything for this summer.

Talked to the kids & DH and declared intent for a "We made it!" trip once we can get this behind us and there is a treatment - so thats whenever that happens. I was hoping to do a few trips this year with a day or so at WDW then Miami in May and a day or so ay WDL then Napa in August to celebrate both kids being 21 but that would have meant moderates, not extravagance. At this time, I think we'll stay put and just save for a fancier trip to WDW and Miami and instead of moderates I want to do two I've never done before so the Floridian and the Boardwalk. The thing this has branded in my mind is to NOT take things for granted so I do not expect to skip anymore years. My siggy is a bit irksome, even if the past few years wouldn't have been perfect I should have gone.

We live in Massachusetts - renting a cottage right on the beach in Cape Cod. We figured we might as well stay in our own state and not deal with any quarantine issues. We enjoy the beach, so it will be a good trip for us and feels pretty easy to social distance there.

We usually do Feb (or Apr) Disney trips or Florida beach trips. We were planning WDW in Feb 2021. We have determined that is probably not going to happen..I'm not sure we will be comfortable flying by then - esp my parents who are healthy, but are in their 7os and being careful as far as covid. Unfortunately everywhere within a reasonable drive from here is cold in February. So I have no idea what we will do instead. We don't ski and I really like getting away from winter weather for a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter