• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is your typical wait time to get into your grocery store?

I've only been once since my grocery store started limiting the number of people allowed in. I had no wait to get in, because I went at a time when the store isn't normally busy.

I did hear a few stores were implementing one-way isles.

I hadn't heard about that and first encountered it at Walmart this morning. It did feel strange, but there was no wait to get in, and I was early enough for toilet paper!

I did self-checkout, so no wait there either.

It's so weird to me to shop in big batches like this, though. Years ago, I guess I used to be pretty organized with a once-a-week list, but more recently, I was a "stop on the way home" type shopper. Going from 3 times a week to once every two weeks has been a big adjustment!

I'm yet to have a wait to get in to my local supermarket. They've been great about enforcing social distancing, and keeping both customers and employees safe. I hear early morning (right at store opening) there's a wait, but I don't shop quite that early, so I've always gotten right in.

No wait at regular grocery store, Wal-Mart, or Costco in the Denver area.

When we went to the Costco off of I-25 and Highway 7 last week they were only letting 25 in at a time. We did have to wait about 20 minutes but there was no one in the check out lanes. Oh, they have TP and paper towels if you need them. According to a friend, they also had Clorox wipes on Monday but still no chicken or hamburger.

I personally haven't been inside a actually grocery store in about a month. Have been doing pickup with Walmart and a local store. I did go into Gordon's yesterday and that was in and out, no waiting, they actually had more employees on that customers in the store, and it was stocked.

Went to Costco this morning and got there about 9:30am figuring I was going to have to wait in line for the 10am opening. Forgot that they were opening earlier for seniors some days, and Wednesday is one of the days, so the store was open for them. Got out of my car to wait for 10am and a employee said that they weren't busy enough so I could go in. Got everything I needed, other than fresh or frozen chicken and fresh pork. When I walked out, they were getting ready to start limiting the number of people in the store.

I only had to wait at my grocery store on saturday since I was there a bit before it opened to all. Target had no line and was pretty dead overall. Costco had a short line to get in (no more than 10 minutes) on Saturday morning and I only had 1 person in front of me at the cashier. All registers open and set up to be socially distanced. Quietest I have ever seen it there!

We went to Aurora Village Costco in Shoreline, WA on Monday. It was a 35 minute wait to enter unless you had a fast pass.

I hadn't heard about that and first encountered it at Walmart this morning. It did feel strange, but there was no wait to get in, and I was early enough for toilet paper!

It's so weird to me to shop in big batches like this, though. Years ago, I guess I used to be pretty organized with a once-a-week list, but more recently, I was a "stop on the way home" type shopper. Going from 3 times a week to once every two weeks has been a big adjustment!
We are going shopping every 7-10 days, which is hard with all the fresh stuff we eat. It's been an adjustment, but we're slowly getting the hang of it.

Went to Trader Joe’s on Monday during a large rain storm. Wait was about 20 minutes. They said it has been averaging 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The nasty weather was keeping people away.

haven’t been to stop n shop in 10 days. There was no wait because they werent limiting people. It was crowded and the lnew single line to pay went up and down 2 aisles and then some. Took about 20 minutes or so.
I can’t seem to get delivery. Instacart/Peapod always sold out
We have been using a local convenience store for staples like bread, milk and eggs.

Last time DH went to Costco it was about 2 hours, mainly because he lined up early so they weren't even open to the general public yet.

Other grocery stores have pretty much been walk in.

Home Depot was about 20-30 min to get inside.

Please do not go grocery shopping. Order online and pick it up. Save lives. I am a nurse and have not been into a grocery store for over a month.

Please do not go grocery shopping. Order online and pick it up. Save lives. I am a nurse and have not been into a grocery store for over a month.

Some of us don't have that luxury. They do offer it in my area and I did manage to snag a Whole Foods/Amazon pick up time. Nothing since. We don't have enough slots for people wanting to do that and some areas don't have the option at all.

Some of us don't have that luxury. They do offer it in my area and I did manage to snag a Whole Foods/Amazon pick up time. Nothing since. We don't have enough slots for people wanting to do that and some areas don't have the option at all.

Agreed. We have a couple Walmarts that offer it but never any open slots (curbside or delivery). There are a couple other local stores we go to that offer neither. One in the area offers both but they are expensive and I haven't even looked to see if they have openings.

You do make a very valid point, however it's not a one size fits all option everywhere. My SIL is a nurse also, and she has no other choice but to go to a grocery store if she needs something, our rural area doesn't lend itself to a store on every corner and getting a pick up time has been near impossible for her.

I'd LOVE to have skipped the stores over the past month, but up until this morning actually, I have been unable to get a pick up slot. This morning I was able to get a pick up next Monday morning, so I placed a order. I've tried ordering from Target, Costco, Walmart, Amazon, Jet - no dice. Can't get what I needed.
It does appear to be getting easier in our area to grab a pick up time, which is good. Not sure if less folks are using it or the stores have hired more folks to fulfill those orders or people have stopped panic buying or ????
Wish the liquor stores had the option to order ahead of time and pick up. No doubt some do, but in our area you can't purchase it at the store and none of the liquor stores are offering curbside pick up.

I haven't had to wait yet ( I shop early in the morning) but on the Sat. before Easter there were around 5 shoppers waiting to get in as I left. Also the Sat. before Easter Wegmans was so crowded that I don't believe they were only letting a certain amount of people in. Once I got in the store and saw the huge crowds of people I turned around and left.

The availability for pickup at our local grocery store is running about a week out. I've been about once every two weeks and haven't encountered any lines.

Just a heads up for healthcare workers, not sure if its been mentioned.. if there is a line at Costco, they are letting you go to the front of it, just show your work ID. I believe Sams is also starting something like this.."Heros Hours" for healthcare workers

Longest wait was about 10 minutes to get into Citarella's on Manhattan's Upper Westside. During various holidays there's often a line to enter later in the day so no one seemed put out by the waiting. The 6 ft distancing was different though. We shopped early for three same neighborhood stores so no waiting at all for the first one we got to minutes after opening.
We loooovvvveee Citarella’s. The UWS location is so cute. I can only imagine what it was like during holidays! I wish CT location had opened before we moved. We hit it up every time we go back.

We really reduced food waste when I started shopping more often. I try to only buy fresh whole foods when possible. This has been a big adjustment for us.

I haven't had to go to a store yet, I've been getting deliveries or doing curbside pickup so I don't know about wait times. But I wanted to ask if Costco has an app? We have a Sam's Club membership and there is a way to scan as you go in the app and then pay in-app as well so you don't have to wait in line. The only wait would be for the door person to review your receipt at the exit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter