What is your favorite resort in the US that is NOT a Disney resort?

jlnten17

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
One of the things I love the most about WDW are the resorts. The Polynesian is my absolute favorite but GF, WL and BC are also lovely. DH and I are planning a quick trip without the kids this summer 4-5 days and my only request is I want to stay at a deluxe resort (not necessarily all inclusive) that has dining, pool, fitness, possibly golf, spa, lake, etc. DH's only request is it not be in a large city (e.g. Chicago). We are in Northern Illinois and could fly or drive. Some I have looked at include Big Cedar Lodge in the Ozarks and The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island but we are looking for more suggestions/ideas. Something with a nice balance of luxury but not super pricey ($400/night or less would be great).

We haven't been, but it seems like there are some nice resort type places at Hilton Head, SC like that. Thinking about that for a trip next year.

One of the things I love the most about WDW are the resorts. The Polynesian is my absolute favorite but GF, WL and BC are also lovely. DH and I are planning a quick trip without the kids this summer 4-5 days and my only request is I want to stay at a deluxe resort (not necessarily all inclusive) that has dining, pool, fitness, possibly golf, spa, lake, etc. DH's only request is it not be in a large city (e.g. Chicago). We are in Northern Illinois and could fly or drive. Some I have looked at include Big Cedar Lodge in the Ozarks and The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island but we are looking for more suggestions/ideas. Something with a nice balance of luxury but not super pricey ($400/night or less would be great).
Big Cedar is amazing and there's a lot to do in the Branson area!

What by definition is the difference between a nice hotel and a resort ?

Kapalua itself isn't a resort. It's an area in Maui. I got married at Kapalua Bay beach. Lots of hotels and condos in Kapalua.

It's kind of a resort. One company technically owns all the land and calls it a resort. It's got hotels, condos, dining, golf, etc. I thought it might meet the OP's definition even if it's not a single management operating everything.

The greenbrier resort in white sulfur springs, wv. Might be good to check out. It's rural and very pretty with lots of good golfing and other outdoor activities

What by definition is the difference between a nice hotel and a resort ?

Yeah - I'm not 100% sure what the question is. You can find all that stuff that the OP asked for in certain areas even if it's not a single property managed together. I don't quite know if Pebble Beach would qualify, since they call it a resort but it's kind of dispersed.

It's kind of a resort. One company technically owns all the land and calls it a resort. It's got hotels, condos, dining, golf, etc. I thought it might meet the OP's definition even if it's not a single management operating everything.

Are you telling me that Kapalua Resort, which is basically a large holding/real estate company, owns the land on the private homes in Kapalua?

Are you telling me that Kapalua Resort, which is basically a large holding/real estate company, owns the land on the private homes in Kapalua?

That's my impression of a lot of resort communities, although it's kind of hard to find the specifics for Kapalua. If you look it up, Kapalua Resort is owned by the Maui Land & Pineapple Company. I used to work a college job in the shipping industry, and they were one of my employer's customers. A lot of fancy homes on golf courses are set up with convoluted land ownership where a land company owns the land but the homeowner owns the "improvements" (i.e. buildings and landscaping).

I guess at WDW, the Swan and Dolphin have some really complex separate legal ownership of the land and buildings.

There are some wonderful lakefront resorts in Minnesota. Check out Grand View in Nisswa....definitely not big city. But lovely. Near there, but lacking the spa and pool, is Lost Lake Lodge. They have spectacular food (breakfast and dinner included in rates) and a stunning location...small and intimate.

My favorite is Jekyll Island Club on Jekyll Island, Georgia. http://www.jekyllclub.com/ Beautiful place, well restore, loads of history, golf, swimming pool, private beach, rental bikes, crochet on the lawn, tennis, hiking. Now it is in south Georgia and hot in the summer but beautiful.

Resort has a specific meaning in Hawaii that differs a bit from the definition on the mainland. It does not refer to a specific individually owned property, but to a vacation property neighborhood. It is a zoning classification. It can include hotels, condos, timeshares and private homes. This is my favorite resort in Hawaii - http://www.waikoloabeachresort.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter