• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is with the photo obsession?

Flash photography on dark rides drives me bonkers. It's just rude, and you know most of those pictures are probably not that great. I'm also not a fan of people who come to a dead stop on a busy walkway to take pictures or the ones walking around with iPads in front of their faces, completely oblivious to their surroundings. There's something about being in Disney that makes some people forget that there are other people in the world.

I think it might be the other way around. This person is a new poster, and their post is just a copy/paste of part of another post in this thread (#4). Also, I checked their other post, and it's the same thing - a copy/paste of part of another post in the thread.

The plot thickens. That's so strange. :confused3

It makes more sense in a way though. I was thinking that poster's alter ego wasn't from Texas.

Just wanted to say I hate pictures. Hate taking them. Hate looking at them. Don't even take a camera with me ever. Thank you for listening.:thumbsup2

I take a lot of pictures, and they are our favorite souvenirs from our trips. The snapshots that you take can sometimes bring you a lot of joy looking back on them. My sister passed away last year at the age of 39, her last Disney trip was the year before that and I know her 2 kids are very thankful that she was as camera ready as I am when we go. Those pictures mean the world to them now, and I have created scrapbooks for them with a lot of them that they keep really close to their hearts.

That being said... I never use flash inside a ride, I never yell at people to get out of my way, and I always try to go around others with a camera in the air if possible. Common courtesy. :)

Can you imagine the tons of dropped and crushed phones/cameras/Mickey ears at the bottom of TOT? :scared: I wonder what they do with them all?

Actually compared to some other rides there might not be that many things lost on TOT. I would think most dropped things would just end up on the floor of the elevator. I'll bet a lot more things get lost on rides like RNRC and Space Mountain.

I remember one time years ago I sat on my cap on Space so it wouldn't fly off and when we got to the end of the ride it was gone.

I love photography and take pictures with all kinds of cameras. My iPhone camera, my Canon P&S and DSLR, and I even have a Fuji film Instax camera( takes instant photos similar to the old Polaroids).

That said, I don't expect the world to come to a stop because of my picture taking. I do try to be considerate when at the parks or other public places and I try not to walk in front of someone's camera, but it can't be helped sometimes. I think the Snail Lady in the original post needed to get a grip. I'm sure the OPs guy didn't mean to sabotage her picture.:rotfl2:

The photographers don't bother me nearly as much as the iPad video recorders!

AMEN to that! I am normally a very calm person but a person with an ipad monopolizing the entire space in front of me and blocking my childrens' view, well, that turns me into a stark raving lunatic!!;)

I take a lot of pictures, and they are our favorite souvenirs from our trips. The snapshots that you take can sometimes bring you a lot of joy looking back on them. My sister passed away last year at the age of 39, her last Disney trip was the year before that and I know her 2 kids are very thankful that she was as camera ready as I am when we go. Those pictures mean the world to them now, and I have created scrapbooks for them with a lot of them that they keep really close to their hearts.

That being said... I never use flash inside a ride, I never yell at people to get out of my way, and I always try to go around others with a camera in the air if possible. Common courtesy. :)

:lovestruc

Sorry to hear about your sister. Lovely that you all have great photo memories to look back upon.

I haven't read every post here, but the OP's words made me think about something. When my daughter was about 6 years old we were watching Wishes (first trip to WDW). I was trying to record it. She asked me to hold her. Of course, being a good dad I said ok. I was holding her with one arm, and my camera with the other (and struggling a bit). She asked what I was doing. I said "sweetie I'm trying to get this recorded so we don't forget it." This tiny little person replied "well just watch it and it'll be in your heart. You'll never forget it once it's there". For the rest of my life I'll never forget that innocent little comment. So now I'm far less quick to grab the camera. Amazing the intelligent things that kiddos can say sometimes!

one of my resolutions for this trip is to not take that many photos from fireworks and parades and open my eyes and my mind to experience it fully. There are plenty of photos out there from much better photographers than me if I want to recapture. I found it took away from the experience last year

Flash pictures on dark rides, Ipads blocking other people's views, people getting irate because someone in a crowd accidentally blocks their photo...these things are all annoying.

Someone taking a picture of some small thing that may seem insignificant to me? Not such a big deal, IMHO. The way I look at it, that person may have a particular reason for photographing their meal, a flower, a flag, a snail or whatever it may be, and I wouldn't judge someone for doing so.

I understand the whole 'don't live life through a lens' philosophy, but honestly, as long as someone isn't impacting other people's enjoyment (as in some of the examples people have posted previously) then let people take as many photos of as many weird and wonderful things as they like.

People pay a lot of money to go to disney. I couldn't care less what they take pics of. However, she shouldn't yell at people. That's not cool. To each his own......

Maybe she doesn't see snails at home. I see tourists taking endless pictures of squirrels in Central Park all the time. Most of those I've talked to have been from Australia, where there are no squirrels, and they are as happy to see them as I would be to see a kangaroo - which would be no more exciting to them than the squirrels are to me.

You just never know what someone's situation is. There's no reason to yell, but if she wants a pic of the snail, let her get a pic of the snail.

Well, count me as one of those people who like taking pictures. I don't think I've ever photographed a snail, but I have taken valuable time out of my Disney vacation to try and get a picture of one of those little lizards that are everywhere flaring his orange neck flap in search of a mate. It's actually a nice photo, and wildlife is among one of my favorite things to photograph.

It's a hobby. I enjoy it. I don't do it because it makes me feel important, and I don't think it takes away from my vacation by forcing me to see everything through the lens. In all honesty, my family enjoying the Magic Kingdom is actually among the last things I enjoy photographing. I find people to be boring, but necessary, subjects. My photos are a side project to the vacation, not the be all and end all. And maybe a lot of people just leave their photos languishing on a hard drive somewhere, but in our house, all of the art gracing the walls is actually photography (most of it mine) and all of our photos go into a screensaver that runs constantly on our TV. I see my photographs all the time, everywhere, and am always reminded of the great times I had in the past.

That being said, I never take flash photos in rides or at restaurants, and I would certainly never berate someone for getting in the way of my photo. If I let someone inadvertently photobomb, that's my fault for not setting the shot up better, not theirs. I think the OP's problem is not with photographers, but with impolite people. A common Disney issue.

Here now and a woman just got upset with my DH because he got in the way of her taking a pix of a snail on the sidewalk at our resort POFQ at nite! I have never seen so many people absolutely obsessed wit taking pix of every inane thing. Someone flashed all the way thru its a small world. So many flashes at FOTLK. Just constantly documenting every thing. Are these people actually doing anything with all these videos and pix. Are they subjecting all their family and friends to a a barrage of Instagram Facebook and Twitter images?

I just dont get it. But really doesn't most of it just end up as e clutter in the cloud or on a computer? Go get some Disney coffee table books or artwork or post cards and call it a day

Maybe. I'm getting old but it's just another way for people to have an excuse to ignore others around them

Had to get that off my chest. Rant over and good nite!

Photography and tourism to hand in hand. I try not to be oblivious to others who choose to take a photograph and I am extremely apologetic. If I step I of their photo.

It doesn't matter what you think of their hobby. Apologize and move on.

I was thinking about this thread as I walked into my living room and saw my screen saver on my PC. I take plenty of photos and load them onto my PC screensaver and my electronic photo frame. I love just looking up and seeing a picture, it brings back so many memories. I don't always add every photo to the screensaver but I do know when and where each of them was taken so it keeps those old memories fresh in my mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter