what is this? anyone know?

ScrapperKimmyD

I'm all a-twitter!
JansDisneyquestion.jpg

what is it from? Where did you find it? It looks familiar.

Well, whatever it is, it's on it's side.

It needs to be turned counterclockwise 90 degrees. Then I see a chest with a snake coming out of it and its head resting on a rock. The letters "F" and "I" appear at the top. It's obviously hanging outside because of the water damage shown below it. My guess is that is somewhere on a wall near PoTC??

I feel like someone posted something about these recently. And they are some sort of fire dept markers????? Something like that?

ScrapperKimmyD,

I don't understand. Is this a contest or are you asking because you don't know?

If it's the second, could you provide as much information as possible, please? Where did you take it? Was it on a wall? Ground? Inside? Outside?

Thanks!

- Dreams

It's on a wall, possibly in New Orleans.

A friend took it and wanted to know about it. I'd never seen it before. A tour guide pointed it out to her.

I found a photo of mine where I can see it in the background. It's much bigger than it looks in the first photo. I think it may be near the BB.

Anyone know it's significance?

streetwreathred.jpg
[/IMG]

In times past fire departments were private concerns….in order to access their services you had to have fire insurance of sorts….basically you subscribed to a given company…they’d give you a plaque to hang on your building….if your building caught on fire the plaque would tell the fire department that you were covered by the company and they’d fight the fire….if you hadn’t subscribed then they’d let your building burn down, provided it’s didn’t endanger a neighbour who did subscribe….

Fire departments around the world used to operate this way, back in the day…..

I remember learning about that in England. I'll check with my friend and see if that rings any bells.

Thanks so much!

I believe that is the 4 H artwork from one of the younger members on this site. He won first prize I believe it was for creativity and originality. All that and only at the ripe ol' age of 10 1/2. Pretty good for a school kid, I say! But then a bit of tragedy ensued, where upon when the boy was visiting Dl he lost it over board while cavorting with the pirates, matter of fact he was almost banned from the park for an entire day, because he did not listen to his parents when they told him to not jump up onto the Captains quarters, but did he listen? Well of course not! No self respecting pirate or privateer would listen to anyone but themselves, unless of course they might actually be able to profit from it. Otherwise.... no! And all pirates are unanimous on that point.
It looks like someone or something found it! The boy will be so glad and happy to have it returned to him. Just PM me for my I meant his address. Merci Beaucoup!

I believe that is the 4 H artwork from one of the younger members on this site. He won first prize I believe it was for creativity and originality. All that and only at the ripe ol' age of 10 1/2. Pretty good for a school kid, I say! But then a bit of tragedy ensued, where upon when the boy was visiting Dl he lost it over board while cavorting with the pirates, matter of fact he was almost banned from the park for an entire day, because he did not listen to his parents when they told him to not jump up onto the Captains quarters, but did he listen? Well of course not! No self respecting pirate or privateer would listen to anyone but themselves, unless of course they might actually be able to profit from it. Otherwise.... no! And all pirates are unanimous on that point.
It looks like someone or something found it! The boy will be so glad and happy to have it returned to him. Just PM me for my I meant his address. Merci Beaucoup!

What?!?!?

In times past fire departments were private concerns….in order to access their services you had to have fire insurance of sorts….basically you subscribed to a given company…they’d give you a plaque to hang on your building….if your building caught on fire the plaque would tell the fire department that you were covered by the company and they’d fight the fire….if you hadn’t subscribed then they’d let your building burn down, provided it’s didn’t endanger a neighbour who did subscribe….

I can see that....with the initials F+I standing for Fire Insurance....i'll look for that next time i'm there....thanks.....popcorn::

Awesomebrownfamily is exactly right. Thanks!

After reading the above, I searched some more and found this in reference specifically to insurance plaques in New Orleans Square at Disneyland. I found this:

"Disneyland is more than a theme park, it is a place to learn about the past. *Resort imagineers and designers are committed to getting it right down to the very last details. *Paying attention to detail reaches far beyond architecture true to the given time period and the use of antique furniture.

Next time you are in New Orleans Square, keep an eye out for one instance in which Disneyland's designers have really done their homework and committed to details. *Back in the 1700s and 1800s, buildings were adorned with fire marks. *These plaques would**tell firemen that the building was insured by the company whose name or emblem was illustrated on the plaque. *The fire mark was placed on the outside of a building so that the fire brigade (or anyone else for that matter) would know that the building was insured and by which company. *Typically the plaques were found between the first and second floors rather than on the ground floor, as this prevented the fire mark from being destroyed or removed by pranksters or children."

The article ends challenging the reader to see how many one can find on the two streets in New Orleans Square at Disneyland. I guess I have a new photo project on my next DL visit.

Thanks ScrapperKimmieD & Awesomebrownfamily. Fun discovery! Learn something new everyday!

Wow, this is the first time I've ever heard of this. Something new to hunt for the next time we go. :)

Wow, this is the first time I've ever heard of this. Something new to hunt for the next time we go. :)

Me too! These are the kinds of things VIP tours should be pointing out, don'tcha think, MJ? Really interesting stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter