what is the worst thing your home has ever survived?

Nothing since we’ve lived here the past 42 years but our house dates back to the early 1800’s so no telling.

Dishwasher leaked, damaging the kitchen floor. Cost $1,700 to fix. Refrigerator water line leaked, damaged flooring again, but this time the damage is all under the fridge and has not been fixed.

This house....wind storm blew a tree down, missed the house though.

Our last house, water heater leaked while we were on vacation and leaked through the ceiling to downstairs in the living room.
Frozen pipe burst one year on Christmas Eve.

The eye of Hurricane Ida. Supposed to be a weakening Cat 1 at landfall, so we didn't evacuate. Instead it underwent rapid intensification and not only made landfall but made it all the way to Baton Rouge as a strong Cat 4/borderline Cat 5. We were lucky though, just lost part of the fence and a bunch of shingles. The house also shifted some on the foundation, but we rent and the landlord doesn't care. At least he fixed the fence and the roof.

My mother used to live on the top floor of her building when there was a fire in the middle of the edifice. Unusually, she called us (my older sister and I used to work together) and told us she was trapped at home. Normally she would have been at her store. One of us stayed on the phone with her while the other called her managing agent to let them know she was trapped on the 24th floor. Mom moved into the bathroom and placed wet towels against the door sill. We stayed on the line keeping her calm until FDNY came for her. Ten people were injured and the person whose apt the fire started in died of a heart attack in the public hallway.
That was frightening.

2003: Isabel ( plus the deluge of rain we got the week prior to loose up the soil):
Tree go boom lol with me in the room- shouldn’t be here but someone apparently looking out for me.
So 2 bedrooms , of course mine was the bullseye so more damage.

Months later right before Christmas it was looking like nothing ever happened.

Probably something before I lived here. I've only owned the house for about 4 years, but it was built in the 1960s.

I think everything still lies ahead as we are going to extend our house to have a bigger kitchen and two more rooms. We've already found a company that will do the Extension Drawings (it seems that only professionals can do this work properly) and help us get the permits. I know that it will be a long process, but it should be faster and cheaper than building a new house.

Last edited:
2.5 inch hail a couple months ago. Having to get a new roof this week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter