what is the worst fall you have ever had?

Fortunately no serious injuries so far, but have had two ice related falls, one on a driveway and one on a sidewalk.

The winner for me could have been when I was around 25. I was painting the exterior of my parents’ house, sitting on the pitched roof to paint a dormer that ended in a narrow triangle at the roof peak. Suddenly I started to slide, was rapidly approaching the edge of the roof, but managed to get one foot into the gutter and keep myself from flying off.

I have had a few. Also a klutz. Fell as a kid on raised sidewalk and cracked my skull. Also tripped on storm drain and knocked my 2 front teeth out. Then, in high school, I was running to catch bus and tripped on another raised sidewalk and knocked myself out for a minute. Missed the bus. Then, as adult, I fell carrying 17 month old son down stairs and just fell on my butt and slid like down the stairs. Had a sore back was all...but was just pregnant at time and ended up having identical twins (we joke that I split the egg by falling). Then, about 3-4 years ago, I fell down brick steps while carrying old blind doggo. I kind of turned mid fall to toss doggo to the side of the steps and ended up slamming the back of my head on the brick patio. That messed me up for a while with terrible headaches.

Last edited:
In 2012 I was working as an on call home health/hospice nurse and went on a visit at 5am. I had been in the house and went back outside to get something from the car and slipped on a small patch of ice that was behind my car. I felt myself start to fall backwards and caught myself then I ended up going down forward. I went down and my hand went out to break my fall and landed somehow on my knuckles then down to my face. I had a gash on my nose from the gravel and it turned out that I broke my right hand (the knuckle on my index finger). 4 stitches on the bridge of my nose and 4 weeks off work until my hand healed. I tried to go back sooner but because of the nature of my job the doc wouldn't let me work.
I was a homecare/hospice nurse for years. Where I live can be very icy and with lots of snow. There were some dicey times driving to the homes on back roads and up and down slippery hills.
I guess I am lucky that I didn't have any falls. But I can see how your fall would have happened easily. Hope you got better soon.

I did have a fall right after Christmas 2 years ago. I tripped over some decorations going up a step and slid on my face to the floor. I think I cracked my check bone but never got it checked. It hurt like heck for about a year and was sore after that. I was lucky I didn't get hurt worse.

I’m a klutz. At work I missed a step and fell down half a flight of stairs. Plenty of bruises and a broken rib. A few years later while building our house I was sweeping debris out the back door opening, and fell out the opening. Smacked myself on a stepstool on my way down. Broke the same rib again.

I have fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva (FOP). Any fall is bad. as any muscle injury can trigger a flare of FOP.

A "flare" of FOP means my body has gone into bone-building mode. The injured muscle will be replaced by bone, permanently. I loose the ability to move that joint forever. You can't really do surgery to remove bone because that is muscle injury and can trigger more bone growth.

FOP is rare. It is a genetic mutation that occurs once in something like 1.4 million births. You can only get FOP if your DNA mutates near conception or if the egg or sperm that created you are defective. This happens when a parent has FOP. The chances are 50:50 that the child will have FOP. It is pretty rare that individuals with FOP have biological kids of their own.

More information about FOP is available at www.ifopa.org.

I was a homecare/hospice nurse for years. Where I live can be very icy and with lots of snow. There were some dicey times driving to the homes on back roads and up and down slippery hills.
I guess I am lucky that I didn't have any falls. But I can see how your fall would have happened easily. Hope you got better soon.

I did have a fall right after Christmas 2 years ago. I tripped over some decorations going up a step and slid on my face to the floor. I think I cracked my check bone but never got it checked. It hurt like heck for about a year and was sore after that. I was lucky I didn't get hurt worse.
I live south of Rochester NY, Very icy and snowy (not much in the last couple winters though, LOL)

This was March and it had been fairly warm out so it wasn't actually all that icy out. I happened to fall on the one small patch of ice that was left in their driveway, LOL

Ouch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter