What is the timeline for getting Global Entry?

My husband and I did renewals this year. He's been waiting more than a year for a conditional approval on his renewal. Mine was all done, no need for a second interview, card in hand in 10 days.

He's always been a troublemaker, though.

Well, this is very interesting! I just logged into my account and it shows I'm conditionally approved! My older daughter is also conditionally approved. I'm very curious if it's coincidence 2 days after I contacted my congresswoman or if it's due to contacting her.

The next problem is there were no appointments AT ALL available at the 3 locations in Washington state or in Portland. I logged out and then back in and there was just one available next Wednesday at 9:00AM in Blaine, which means I'd have to leave my house by 5:00! Nothing for my daughter though. If I wanted to go to New York, Arizona or Texas, I could get an appointment in the next couple days! :rotfl2:
I'm thinking of possibly doing that with my appointment next Wednesday. I did call the SeaTac Airport office today to ask about walk in appointments (apparently some have them), but they don't have them there. He did say that right now, appointments are all filled in Washington state, but are also only through the end of May. He said hopefully his manager is going to open up June and July appointments by next week. I may hold on to my appointment for now, but try and get a new one for me and have my daughter get one when they open up.

WE HAVE OUR INTERVIEWS SET UP!!!!!! They opened up more slots sometime today. I checked earlier and there wasn't anything. I just checked again now and they opened up quite a few. And the best thing is, it's at Seatac Airport, so we only have to drive about 20 minutes vs. Blaine which is about 2 1/2-3 hours.
May 25 at 12:15PM

WE HAVE OUR INTERVIEWS SET UP!!!!!! They opened up more slots sometime today. I checked earlier and there wasn't anything. I just checked again now and they opened up quite a few. And the best thing is, it's at Seatac Airport, so we only have to drive about 20 minutes vs. Blaine which is about 2 1/2-3 hours.
May 25 at 12:15PM

Don't forget to keep checking back as there may be some cancellations and you could get it earlier.

Hubby and I had interviews at 9:30/9:45 Monday 2/24 in Dayton. Arrived early 9:10- walked out 9:23 after both done. Cards are in mail today (can see on informed delivery).

Update...LOL!

I submitted my application on Feb 4. Submitted DW and DD on Feb 5.

DW and DD approved on Feb 7.

I'm still waiting...and NOT all that patiently!

Update...LOL!

I submitted my application on Feb 4. Submitted DW and DD on Feb 5.

DW and DD approved on Feb 7.

I'm still waiting...and NOT all that patiently!
I applied for my renewal in early January, the day after my birthday (earliest allowed) and was approved in about a week. DH applied for his renewal the day after his February birthday and is still waiting to find out whether he needs an interview or not. His GE has automatically been extended for a year after its 2021 expiration (previously the automatic extension was for 6 months).

So not looking good...sorry!

Followup on my post of 2/5/20 (#20), I decided not to wait for my wife to get conditional approval and made my appointment for the interview at Detroit Metro Airport. No one waiting in the office - in and out in about 5 minutes. While I was there, I talked to the agent about my wife's conditional approval delay. She said that those are taking quite a bit longer now, up to a year. My wife is still waiting, getting close to 6 months.

Followup on my post of 2/5/20 (#20), I decided not to wait for my wife to get conditional approval and made my appointment for the interview at Detroit Metro Airport. No one waiting in the office - in and out in about 5 minutes. While I was there, I talked to the agent about my wife's conditional approval delay. She said that those are taking quite a bit longer now, up to a year. My wife is still waiting, getting close to 6 months.
It's actually getting to be not a big deal with all the disruption from covid-19. We have a June Alaska trip planned with a side trip to Victoria, BC, but I'd guess the likelihood of actually doing that trip is in the 10%-15% range now.

I really wanted to get it done because we would like to take some ancestral homeland vacations (Italy for DW, UK and Ireland for me). Needless to say, those trips are looking super-iffy for next year!

It's actually getting to be not a big deal with all the disruption from covid-19. We have a June Alaska trip planned with a side trip to Victoria, BC, but I'd guess the likelihood of actually doing that trip is in the 10%-15% range now.

I really wanted to get it done because we would like to take some ancestral homeland vacations (Italy for DW, UK and Ireland for me). Needless to say, those trips are looking super-iffy for next year!

Our planned trip to France this August (our reason for getting Global Entry) isn't looking too likely right now either.

We got ours within a couple weeks last year. At our interview, the agent gave us a good tip though, especially for those who go to Canada. He said when you renew, choose Nexus next time. It’s half the price and includes Global Entry ams TSA precheck.
See this from ‘the points guy’ site:
Everything You Need To Know About Nexus
NEXUS is the Canadian version of Global Entry. The program allows pre-screened travelers expedited customs processing by United States and Canadian officials in dedicated processing lanes at specific northern border ports of entry, at NEXUS kiosks, Canadian pre-clearance airports, and at marine reporting locations.
NEXUS applicants must complete an application, pay a fee and have an interview. The application process if fairly similar to that of Global Entry. You can apply online via the CBP Global On-Line Enrollment System (GOES) Web site. Qualified applicants must then travel to a NEXUS Enrollment Center for an interview. If they are approved for the program at that time, a photo identification card will be mailed to them in 7-10 business days.
Advantages: NEXUS is more economical than Global Entry because it only costs $50 per adult and children are FREE until they turn 18. With Nexus you get all the benefits of Global Entry and TSA PreCheck.
Disadvantages: There are only a few US enrollment centers where you can have a NEXUS interview. They are all located in northern areas of the US, like Seattle, Montana, upstate New York, and Maine. There are also enrollment centers in Canada. If you live in Florida or Texas, this isn’t an ideal option unless you travel to Canada or the Northern US often. Also, Amex does NOT reimburse you for NEXUS.

UPDATE:

APPLIED: Feb 4, 2020
APPROVED: DECEMBER 14, 2020 -- a smooth 10 months + 10 days!

I guess after 25 years in law enforcement, I was suspect somehow... :crazy:

Last edited:
Glad you got! A nice Christmas present... hope you have a great one! 😊
Thanks! Same to you and the family.

Yeah, now if we can just get rid of covid. First round of vaccinations start today in Miami, I think just for healthcare and first responders (not sure).

Needless to say, our Alaska bucket-list trip didn't happen and I don't think it's happening this year either.

We were going with another family who live in Alaska, but now their DD and our DD are in college. Their DD was scheduled to study abroad in Europe for the Fall and Spring semesters, but of course that got postponed. They are supposedly going in January, but that would put her in Spain during the entire summer. So we'll see -- doesn't look promising.

Thanks! Same to you and the family.

Yeah, now if we can just get rid of covid. First round of vaccinations start today in Miami, I think just for healthcare and first responders (not sure).

Needless to say, our Alaska bucket-list trip didn't happen and I don't think it's happening this year either.

We were going with another family who live in Alaska, but now their DD and our DD are in college. Their DD was scheduled to study abroad in Europe for the Fall and Spring semesters, but of course that got postponed. They are supposedly going in January, but that would put her in Spain during the entire summer. So we'll see -- doesn't look promising.
We got our Global Entry in February for a Mediterranean cruise in May , rescheduled to November and now hopefully May 2021! Have one in November to Caribbean... maybe we will see you then. Fingers crossed we can all travel again soon. When we can get vaccine we will be in line.

UPDATE:

APPLIED: Feb 4, 2020
APPROVED: DECEMBER 14, 2020 -- a smooth 10 months + 10 days!

I guess after 25 years in law enforcement, I was suspect somehow... :crazy:
Thanks for the update - it reminds me to check for DH’s renewal! He applied 2 days after you did and has been in Pending status since then!

Thanks for the update - it reminds me to check for DH’s renewal! He applied 2 days after you did and has been in Pending status since then!
He'll get an email telling him his TTP status has changed. Then you login to the website and see that you're now Conditionally Approved.

He'll get an email telling him his TTP status has changed. Then you login to the website and see that you're now Conditionally Approved.
Hoping to get the email soon - but we’ll log in today and check anyway!

My wife finally received her review confirmation after a little more than 10 months after receiving her conditional approval. She had called our local Global Entry office a day or two before to say that her TSA PreCheck date was coming up and that she didn't want to renew that and then have to get Global Entry. The agent said that there wasn't a way to expedite her Global Entry ............. but the following day she received notification that she had the interview confirmation. Seems like her phone call made a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter