• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the rumored change for resort parking?

The proof of reservations policy has been in effect for quite some time...but as always, enforcement is "inconsistent"

Blame the Internet - as the angles and loopholes are well known now...

...but look at it this way: they haven't added a brand new hotel development since pop century in 2003/4...no new parking lots since...

...and attendance has risen by about 10,000,000...

It's just numbers...there's "no room at the inn"
Yes, park attendance has increased. However, Disney's hotel numbers are easily inflated... The changover to adding entire DVC floors and villas at resorts, combined with random "soft goods" refurbs is an easy way to take out rooms from the overall property's room/night count number. All I'm trying to say is I think sometimes we fans think that WDW's hotels are fuller than they truly are. Its pretty hard to have a 88% capacity year-round.

I think if WDW built a new TTC and centralized parking area, possibly a garage, connected to all modes of transporation- this would totally remidey the parking issues at the resorts for folks cheating the system and trying to park for free to get into the theme parks and/or transportation. Or at least this makes its a little easier to locals and non-resort guests to swallow the new pay-to-park concept.

They did scan our Magic Bands, but for some reason that didn't do anything. As far as the restaurants go, they absolutely need outside guests to stay open. There is no way, Narcoossees would survive with only people staying at Grand Floridian. Food courts yes, but not the expensive places. Also, if proof is necessary, they should tell you to bring confirmation. I don't bring confirmation to Ruth Chris or Rain Forrest Cafe, why is Chef Mickeys different---unless they tell you so.

I had to prove that we had reservations at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs for brunch. I guess their parking fills up, and we weren't staying at their hotel. I either showed them a print out or the email on my phone. Disney isn't the only place that does this; however, I do admit it's not common.

Couldn't you just make an ADR, print the confirmation and cancel a day later. Wouldn't that allow you to park at that resort. I've been to Disney for at least 100 trips and have never printed any confirmations for hotel or dining. This was the very first time we have ever been asked to prove a reservation. Nobody I travel with (big family) ever brings anything either---with the exception of Hoop Dee Doo and that is because they used to tell you to bring your confirmation/receipt.
You would think that your magic band would show security that you have a reservation. Does this also mean that you can't park at Boardwalk to watch a football game at ESPN. We've never had reservations there and have never had any problem getting through the gate.

Actually they can do it quite simple. Have a screen like at podiums or simply an iPad that pulls up a list of reservations. Provide your ID, they cross check it and in you go.

What they decide to require going forward is what we will have to provide. The resorts are packed, the parks are packed and the parking lots at the "park resorts" are barely big enough for those who are staying or have dining reservations. As far as Boardwalk .... they've really been buckling down on those lots, I wouldn't expect to park there unless I do valet these days.

ok... Haven't read the whole thread but if they can't find a way to charge the day/evening visitor/park goer, it would be nice if they found a way to charge everyone a daily rate for parking which was then DEDUCTED from guests' resort bills. Thereby charging for the visitor only.

Actually they can do it quite simple. Have a screen like at podiums or simply an iPad that pulls up a list of reservations. Provide your ID, they cross check it and in you go.

What they decide to require going forward is what we will have to provide. The resorts are packed, the parks are packed and the parking lots at the "park resorts" are barely big enough for those who are staying or have dining reservations. As far as Boardwalk .... they've really been buckling down on those lots, I wouldn't expect to park there unless I do valet these days.

Couple things:

Remember that they have permits in to redo the security gatehouses. That might be exactly what they do...

But with that - Disney is awful with computer systems...particularly network ones...for heavy use. They're even worse for training.

They've had the access to hotel registry and dining for years...they don't us it right. Just like they have the band scanners for two year and half the time don't work.

What they need is a separate, write protected, touchscreen system that shows security only reservations...they scroll...they can confirm arrival...nothing esle. A trained chipmunk could use it.

But they're awful at budgeting and implementing these things though. That's the hurdle there.

The other option is go 100% automated...tint the windows at the guard shack, close the windows and drop the "welcome home" nonsense. Just let the computers control the gates.

Yes, park attendance has increased. However, Disney's hotel numbers are easily inflated... The changover to adding entire DVC floors and villas at resorts, combined with random "soft goods" refurbs is an easy way to take out rooms from the overall property's room/night count number. All I'm trying to say is I think sometimes we fans think that WDW's hotels are fuller than they truly are. Its pretty hard to have a 88% capacity year-round.

I think if WDW built a new TTC and centralized parking area, possibly a garage, connected to all modes of transporation- this would totally remidey the parking issues at the resorts for folks cheating the system and trying to park for free to get into the theme parks and/or transportation. Or at least this makes its a little easier to locals and non-resort guests to swallow the new pay-to-park concept.

You feel that Disney hotel occupancies can't run near 100%?

Feel confident on that?

International destination...really one of a kind...50,000,000 gate ticks...25,000 ish on property rooms.

I can only tell you what i saw with my own eyes...was awhile ago though.

Rumor is that the deluxe room occupancy has fallen...likely because they have out priced the market...that could be causing vacancy. But then they'll just do a DVC convert which are near 100% occupied at all times.

Think they converted animal kingdom randomly? How about the Polynesian? Why is wildnerness lodge getting all new pools and a restaurant?

For 20 teepee along the water and rather small number of old rooms?

Hell no...it's lining up for mass DVC conversion or maybe conversion AND new villa construction.

That is exactly what they did at contemporary circa 2007...that's exactly what they started doing at poly about 3 years ago.

Exactly.

One of the biggest myths about Disney hotels is that they "stash" or keep empty rooms...like most other hotels.

Nope. Not from day one. The demand always outpaced the supply except for a brief time late Eisner period...and there was all kinds of things going screwy then.

You feel that Disney hotel occupancies can't run near 100%?

Feel confident on that?

International destination...really one of a kind...50,000,000 gate ticks...25,000 ish on property rooms.

I can only tell you what i saw with my own eyes...was awhile ago though.

Rumor is that the deluxe room occupancy has fallen...likely because they have out priced the market...that could be causing vacancy. But then they'll just do a DVC convert which are near 100% occupied at all times.

Think they converted animal kingdom randomly? How about the Polynesian? Why is wildnerness lodge getting all new pools and a restaurant?

For 20 teepee along the water and rather small number of old rooms?

Hell no...it's lining up for mass DVC conversion or maybe conversion AND new villa construction.

That is exactly what they did at contemporary circa 2007...that's exactly what they started doing at poly about 3 years ago.

Exactly.

One of the biggest myths about Disney hotels is that they "stash" or keep empty rooms...like most other hotels.

Nope. Not from day one. The demand always outpaced the supply except for a brief time late Eisner period...and there was all kinds of things going screwy then.

That would be 26 teepees. :thumbsup2

My wife and I typically stay at a Cabin in FW. We drive everywhere just because we always seem to just miss the bus or boat. During our trip in Oct, we had an ADR for Chef Mickeys. When we arrived at the security gate at the Contemporary, the lady would not let us in until we could prove to her that we had reservations. It actually got a little testy because we were getting close to our time and (my wife) didn't want to miss the $40 buffet.
After about 5 minutes of trying to find our phones in the backseat, my wife was able to log in and show the reservation. We both were completely irritated by what happened and we won't go back to that hotel. Why should we have to prove to them that we have reservations? My parents don't use smart phones, so how would they prove they had reservations if in the same situation. Do you miss your meal and then get charged $10 per person for missing.
We were a guest staying on property, with an ADR and still had a very tough time parking there.

th
Darn guard doing his job!!!

ok... Haven't read the whole thread but if they can't find a way to charge the day/evening visitor/park goer, it would be nice if they found a way to charge everyone a daily rate for parking which was then DEDUCTED from guests' resort bills. Thereby charging for the visitor only.

headache-emoticon-26256339.jpg
Why didn't I think of that. Have off site visitors pay a higher price to encourage them to use theme park parking or hourly parking. Like a public parking lot get ticket and pay on the way out when over the three hours. On site guest just use their magic band. They can clock in and out when not at resort they are staying at. Refunds deducted from resort bill.

Darn guard doing his job!!!

Nope, not accurate. I spoke to someone at the Contemporary and their response was the guard is suppose to ask when and where the reservation is, check to see that the resort parking decal matches the current date of stay and let you through. If you are staying at a Disney resort, that is all the guard is suppose to check. Some may ask for identification also.
They did then add that if there is a Convention or the hotel is full, they try and push people to use Disney transportation for dining. Not sure how that works though if you are already driving there. It's a little late by the time you get to the gate.

Nope, not accurate. I spoke to someone at the Contemporary and their response was the guard is suppose to ask when and where the reservation is, check to see that the resort parking decal matches the current date of stay and let you through. If you are staying at a Disney resort, that is all the guard is suppose to check. Some may ask for identification also.
They did then add that if there is a Convention or the hotel is full, they try and push people to use Disney transportation for dining. Not sure how that works though if you are already driving there. It's a little late by the time you get to the gate.

"Well trained" is not a universal requirement down there. It's a meat market.

That was NOT always the way...look up the pictures of the people lined up for interviews in a construction trailer in the swamp in 1970...

The place is too big...it's a crapshoot more often than not.

But you are asking one CM what another CM's job is .... that CM may have been trained in that job, but odds are were are not. And we all know that CMs can't keep policy or procedures all on the same page. We also have no idea what the head of security had filtered down to the guards that day, week or month. Policy changes literally happen overnight there. Maybe you got a cranky one, maybe you got one that had been told to do something different. The lack of consistency is why I always have my end in order and able to prove with plenty of time to shift plans. I have been waved in when they just glanced at my parking pass, had my MB scanned, had my ID asked for and even had them check a printed list on a clipboard for ADRs.

Right now we have no idea what is going on with parking. It may change a little, a lot or not at all. It may change daily, weekly or even just on weekends. It may change for offsite, onsite, AP and TiW guests - but not guests staying at that resort. It may change at park resorts and not remote resorts, at all resorts or no resorts. Our arguments about what ifs are just speculation and the only thing that is fact is what is actually happening at any given moment, so be prepared, leave early, etc.

Pretty sure DVC is about 100% all the time-- except maybe for SSR.....

When they were priced reasonably according to the customer demographics...they ALL were near full...all the time.

I can attest to a 2112 room (give or take) joint that had a 98.3% overall occupancy for a year around 2000...

Since the domestic customer base has "changed" and the throttled approach on pricing has shifted some of the occupancy rates...
...at least - that is best guess I can make as to what is actually going on.
Vacant rooms are rare at dvc...with perhaps the Saratoga exception.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter