What is the going rate for tipping for daily housekeeping services?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure any housekeeper would be happy to find $5 when they make up a room (as I imagine the majority of guests do not tip). If you're looking to leave a tip I think $5 is still a perfectly appropriate tip amount. Definitely better to tip a small amount daily than just one bigger tip at the end if you want each individual to receive something as it is not always the same person. Though cleaning a room after checkout is definitely the most work, so I understand why some people just tip for that one time. $5 is about what I leave, and in many cases I get towel animals, my Minnie ears arranged in a fun pattern on my bed (blankets often made into a bow!), or a note saying "thank you" from housekeeping. Even a couple of dollars would add up over a few rooms in a shift, so I try to leave what I can.

Yes, I always do $5 a day. It's normally just 2 of us in the room. When the kids were younger, and we had 4 in the room, I would leave a little more ($7 or $8). I leave $5 each day rather than one large sum at the end, because you may have different people working each day

$5 for regular hotels rooms, a little more ($7-10if the room is larger/might have a suite area, or if we've stayed a few days, declined daily service, which we frequently do.) We just stayed in our DVC rooms, and left $20 for the 1 bedroom at checkout, and for our AKL 2 bedroom, left $30. For both of those, we'd stayed 3 nights, and did not have housekeeping during that time.

We tip $5 a day, and $10 at checkout. If staying in a suite, we multiply that by the number of rooms. If we make a special request for something to be brought to the room, we tip the person who delivers it $5 as well.

Yes we have been leaving $5 a day since they have returned to daily mousekeeping. During the first day our last stay, we returned to our room after a late breakfast to find the room all made up but the tip envelope was not taken (small writing). My wife actually knocked on their special room handed them the envelope & explained what happened. The remainder of the trip, we had more towel animals and extra, extra toiletries. We have always had great service by them in the past and hope it continues with our future trips.

I always tipped at the end of the vacation, but after reading everyone's post, I think I'll start tipping daily. Thank you!

me too. I leave a larger amount on my last day. I never have that much cash on me.

We never have much cash on us either that's why I make up the housekeeping tip envelopes before we even leave the house on vacation. That way I don't have to scramble to find enough cash in the right denominations every morning. I just don't seal the envelopes until the day we put it out so that if I want to add an extra dollar or two I can.

Beginning summer 2022, I upped the daily tip from $5 to $10 because service industry folks were hit so hard from the pandemic & inflation. I prepare my tip envelopes (clearly marked Housekeeping) before vacation . Last summer POFQ was every other day, I just kept an envelope out daily. The housekeeping staff was excellent about checking in on if we needed towels or anything every day. I’m older so it’s not a big deal to my budget. For the young folks, I can understand if they just leave a couple of bucks if that’s what they can budget for.

At some point in the last 3 years I upped my daily tip from $5 to $10. And when I stay at a mod and get every-other-day housekeeping, I leave $15 on the housekeeper day. And at least $20 on checkout day.

$5 if daily housekeeping
$10 end of DVC visit (no daily housekeeping)

Threads about tipping tend to not go well here and doubt there is any type of 'standard' amount. During our prior stay @ Disney we were always away from our room when housekeeping arrived and did their work. Not sure of the point of tipping someone you never saw who was simply doing their job. If you asked for extra towels/soap or something along those lines then it would make sense to tip.

Threads about tipping tend to not go well here and doubt there is any type of 'standard' amount. During our prior stay @ Disney we were always away from our room when housekeeping arrived and did their work. Not sure of the point of tipping someone you never saw who was simply doing their job. If you asked for extra towels/soap or something along those lines then it would make sense to tip.
I understand your sentiment, and extend no judgment toward anyone who chooses not to tip.

I work in a field where thank-yous and acknowledgements are few and far between. Although I'm a white collar professional, my first job back in my college days was as a janitor, and I have many family members who've spent their entire careers in humble jobs in vital service industries. My opinion is that if I can comfortably afford a room that costs several hundred dollars a night as part of a vacation that costs thousands, adding another $5 or $10 to acknowledge the people who help make my stay a pleasant one -- most of whom could not afford to stay in the very room they're cleaning -- is literally the least I can do to thank them for doing what I know, at times, can feel like a thankless job.

On the other hand, I realize that other travelers' budgets, and opinions, differ widely on this topic, and that's okay, too.

Last edited:
I understand your sentiment, and extend no judgment toward anyone who chooses not to tip.

I work in a field where thank-yous and acknowledgements are few and far between. Although I'm a white collar professional, my first job back in my college days was as a janitor, and I have many family members who've spent their entire careers in humble jobs in vital service industries. My opinion is that if I can comfortably afford a room that costs several hundred dollars a night as part of a vacation that costs thousands, adding another $5 or $10 to acknowledge the people who help make my stay a pleasant one -- most of whom could not afford to stay in the very room they're cleaning -- is literally the least I can do to thank them for doing what I know, at times, can feel like a thankless job.

On the other hand, I realize that other travelers' budgets, and opinions, differ widely on this topic, and that's okay, too.

Exactly. Hotel housekeepers (and other similar jobs) do not get paid enough for the back-breaking work they have to do. I always do everything I can to keep our room at any hotel fairly neat and tidy -- no trash or personal items laying around and nothing laying on the bed; put all used towels on a pile on the edge of the tub or bathroom counter so they're easy to pick up; and leave them a tip. I would not want to do their job -- some people are total pigs -- and I want to show them that I appreciate the work they do as it makes my life easier when traveling. I don't care what other people do, but I do what I can to provide a little happiness in their daily job. If I'm spending $10K on a vacation, I can afford $5-10/day for a housekeeper tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter