What is the future of Hollywood Studios?

shelemm

Registered
I guess this has been covered before.... but now that HS is a shadow of its former self, what are the plans for the future? I mean, now that there are only three theme parks and maybe one-third of a park. This clearly makes a WDW vacation less valuable.

Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land, the new Micky & Minnie ride. HS now has what are probably four of the best rides at WDW. It's just that is only has the four. It has numerous excellent shows. HS was ALWAYS more about shows than about rides. There are FIVE shows at HS; six if they are showing the excellent film on Walt's life and not some ad for an upcoming movie, that I make a point to see on each trip at least once. This is in addition to the night time spectaculars. I also love 50s Prime Time.

It is certainly a transitional time for HS (really always MGM for me!) & imo, Epcot.
What is a bummer to me is taking out attractions that are so very unique, like GMR & replacing it with a coaster that can basically be found in any amusement park in the country. That said, I love each and every park at Disney. What I do wish Disney would do for their loyal vacationers is offer some additional perks during these times such as dining discounts or allowing those of us that purchase regular park tickets the ability to hop on 1 or 2 days or use 1 of the days at a water park. Right now, we are all paying full price to enjoy HS or Epcot with fewer attractions. This to shall pass & in a couple of years these 2 parks will be the hot spots. Growing pains!

The reason I started this thread is that HS has lost 3 to 5 attractions, a couple of Hollywood streets, and that nothing really new has come in. It seems to have been demoted! Good to know that it's not permanent.

HS will be an almost completely new experience very soon. I personally am very excited to see what they do with all of the new additions, especially Star Wars. However Im still scratching my head on how they plan on tying all of these IP's together thematically. Still dying to find out what the new name will be as well!

WHat I used to love about HS was how the movie theme was incorporated into the design. Especially with the Backlot Tour and how I felt it was educational in that it showed making a movie scene. Also the Animation attraction with the studio where you could draw along with an animator I thought was very special and very different from what you'd expect from an 'amusement park.'

And again with LMA, showing you how they did the stunts and filming was really putting the audience inside the movie-making process. It wasn't just about rides or shows, but experiences. I will miss all that.

Obviously the entire concept of this park being a 'studio' tied to the history of Hollywood is going away. It will be interesting to see what the new name and branding will be.

Bill From PA

When the Star Wars stuff opens it'll be "Katie bar the door" at DHS. We still enjoy it now, it just doesn't take very long. :)

The future of DHS is putting you inside of movies rather than seeing how things are made.

Toy story and Star Wars will put you inside those realms.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will put you inside a Mickey short.

The front of the park will remain old Hollywood and you will experience different realms from that.

Obviously the entire concept of this park being a 'studio' tied to the history of Hollywood is going away. It will be interesting to see what the new name and branding will be.

Bill From PA

This, for me. I really miss what DHS (or MGM) was - a nostalgic look at the Hollywood that never was and always will be. I know things have to change to keep up with the times, and I accept that. But I will still miss the original concept and what we've lost.

Yeah, no worries about the future of this park. They are getting several high-profile attractions over the next couple of years. Toy Story Land is to open Summer 2018! I don't think too many people will be debating the value of a park day at HS at that point, and if there are, Star Wars will erase all doubt. If you think Pandora is popular...!

I guess this has been covered before.... but now that HS is a shadow of its former self, what are the plans for the future? I mean, now that there are only three theme parks and maybe one-third of a park. This clearly makes a WDW vacation less valuable.

Can't say I agree with your sentiment that it makes a WDW vacation "less valuable". Yes, there are major changes happening at HS, but from all I've read the future there looks incredibly bright. A lot of the stuff that is gone was old and in need of upgrading anyway, IMO. Again, IMO, HS still has two of the best rides in all of WDW...RnR and TSMM. The current changes don't make it any less valuable for me, at all. Still plenty to do there and I am super excited to see what comes in the future.

The concept of the park has changed dramatically from what it used to be... a "sort of" working studio.
The idea that HS has lost so much recently just isn't true in my opinion. We've been there before, and after, the so called losses, and hardly notice a difference.

Also, two new "lands" are going in, Toy Story and Star Wars, which will more than replace what has gone away, which in my opinion is very little.

I think I might stop arguing my point, because HS is (still) our second favorite park and it wouldn't bother me if crowds were diminished because people think there is not much to do there. :-)

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter