What is the craziest DCL policy you've encountered?

MSC matched you to Diamond from DCL silver?? Or did you match from a hotel?

And what's the point of loyalty programs if you can just match from one to another?
Matched from a hotel program. Not sure MSC matches from other lines (could be, but as Silver wasn't interested into trying).

Edited to add status match is common in the hospitality/airline industry, because status usually expires if you don't actually use their service. Think of it as a step ladder.

Last edited:
Matched from a hotel program. Not sure MSC matches from other lines (could be, but as Silver wasn't interested into trying).

Edited to add status match is common in the hospitality/airline industry, because status usually expires if you don't actually use their service. Think of it as a step ladder.
Oh, I get why you would want to do it. I don't get why the companies would. I suppose they're poaching you from a competitor? But then it's not really a loyalty program.

Oh, I get why you would want to do it. I don't get why the companies would. I suppose they're poaching you from a competitor? But then it's not really a loyalty program.
This is exactly what it is. Often they offer you a “challenge” where you need to complete X nights/trips in a short duration of time.

MSC is “special” in that once they match, you get the real treat. Though MSC status expires (for everyone): you have to cruise at least once every three years. And status expires. That's a real incentive.

Thinking of it, DCL status should expire, too. But that's another unpopular opinion.

I didn't experience this policy change personally, but heard enough about it (very loudly) from the table next to ours at Palo... evidently they've recently changed policy in allowing guests to take the soufflé back to their room after Palo dinner. The guy at the neighboring table literally caused a kerfuffle and said "You can bet this is my last Disney cruise... I've been able to take the soufflé back to my room every other time before this." Seriously.
He was arrogant and entitled and very loud. I felt so bad for the people he was with (or at least his wife, who looked embarrassed... his other tablemates were both saying "we're with you on this!" Ridiculous. Made OUR Palo experience not so great.

I didn't experience this policy change personally, but heard enough about it (very loudly) from the table next to ours at Palo... evidently they've recently changed policy in allowing guests to take the soufflé back to their room after Palo dinner. The guy at the neighboring table literally caused a kerfuffle and said "You can bet this is my last Disney cruise... I've been able to take the soufflé back to my room every other time before this." Seriously.
He was arrogant and entitled and very loud. I felt so bad for the people he was with (or at least his wife, who looked embarrassed... his other tablemates were both saying "we're with you on this!" Ridiculous. Made OUR Palo experience not so great.
There seems to be some inconsistency with respect to the soufflé. On our recent cruise on the Wonder, DW started to experience some vertigo due to ship motion as she was finishing her dinner entrée at Palo. She headed back to our stateroom while I finished dinner and dessert. One of the Palo crew delivered her soufflé to the room while I was still at the restaurant. She was able to enjoy it within the hour after a short rest. Totally unexpected.

a lot of cruise lines are trying to discontinue paper because they're being given flack for not being environmentally sustainable. Cruise ships aren't great for the environment anyway so they are being pressured to do more onboard. Some cruise lines have gotten very into NO PAPER EVER FOR ANYTHING and some have had to cave and bring back paper for certain reasons.

the worst thing DCL ever did was take that crew member to the Bahamas after he groped a kid onboard while the ship was still docked at Port Canaveral. Bahamas shipped him back to India because they couldn't sustain a criminal prosecution.

Their refusal to carry otc meds for a young child and forcing you to go to the ships Dr who misdiagnosed my DD and administered the wrong meds...sorry dcl policy not to carry otc for young kids because it might be mis administered...better let a bad doctor do that Instead.

The good news is disney legal stepped in at light speed with an apology and reimbursement for the ship Dr's charge a few days after getting home.

I think the silliest DCL policy was having to wear a mask on the OPEN AIR tram on Castaway Cay. I mean come on....you are not wearing one outside all day and then you have to wear one on an open air tram....does not make sense. If it was an enclosed tram then I could see the rationale in it. At that time all WDW outdoor transportation like ferry boats and other boats had dropped their mask policy. All I can think of is it was a Bahamas rule possibly.

MJ

I think the silliest DCL policy was having to wear a mask on the OPEN AIR tram on Castaway Cay. I mean come on....you are not wearing one outside all day and then you have to wear one on an open air tram....does not make sense. If it was an enclosed tram then I could see the rationale in it. At that time all WDW outdoor transportation like ferry boats and other boats had dropped their mask policy. All I can think of is it was a Bahamas rule possibly.

MJ
That was almost certainly a Bahamian rule. The Bahamas were pretty strict about masks. We had to wear them outdoors everywhere in Nassau last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter