What is the best scrapbooking magazine to get?

MichelleB

DIS Veteran
I am thinking that I'd like to subscribe to one of the scrapbooking magazines, but don't know which is the best one to get. I picked up Creating Keepsakes Tips & Tricks book yesterday and wasn't so impressed with it. You all are my "experts", soooooo.....which should I get and why is it better than another in your opinion?

Michelle

I like both CK and their sister magazine- Simple Scrapbooks

I dont follow either one to a T as I scrap in the middle- More stuff/time than Simple but not as much as Creating... and use both more as a springboard for ideas-

Ive gotten CK since its first magazine (woo dating myself there...) so I may just be stuck in my ways...

-em

I also get them for ideas. I subscribe to Memory Makers and Scrapbooks, Etc and I like both of them. I've purchased Simple Scrapbooks and have liked that and have also purchased CK but haven't been way impressed with them.

My fav...is CK and their sister mag also...Simple Scrapbooks. I enjoy the tips and stlyes featured in both...not so with the other mags....but that's mainly because they have items/layouts that are more my style...where the others don't...I'd say your best bet would be to purchase a variety of diffrent mags...and compair each to what your style is and which ones you get more out of. On occasion I'll grab an issue of another scrapbook magazine (other than CK or Simple Scrapbooks)...if they feture somthing that catches my attention or eye. So there is really no right or wrong mag...its more personal prefrence.

I too have CK mags from when they first started...(what was it just 6 times a year....I was sooo excited when they jumped to 12 issues) But anyway...Disneyland-emily..i don't think that necessarly dates you...people start to scrapbook at all sorts of ages.. :flower:

I get them and then find I get bored with them very quickly!
Currently the only scrap mag I get is actually a card mag. Simply Sentiments. I like it for a lot of reason, some day I dream of making cards and their ideas are usually simple, with the stuff I have. So you can lift the card ideas into pages or elements.
I found most scrapping mags, I don't use that much stuff on a page or it is just too expensive items or fluffy...
So I guess I am not help! :rotfl:

I am with Sondra -
I look through them - but then never actually use them for inspiration -
its easier to grab a book (no ads) or go to two peas when I get 'stuck'

There's so much on the net available for inspiration (for free) that I don't feel the need to subscribe to a magazine.

I used to get CK until just recently. It has just gotten way beyond my fairly simply way of scrapping. And I tend to put several pictures on my pages. I still get Simple Scrapbooks and I like to pick up BH&G.

I agree, pick up or look through several different ones before you make that final decision.

Jeanne

I usually just check out a scrap magazine from the library. that way, I don't have to pay for the whole thing. I'll just copy or scan the ideas that I like at home, and just return it to the library. The only drawback is that you get the issue one month late.

I never thought about the library! I do that with books I want to read, but didn't even think about it with the magazines! Thanks!

I really like CM's new mag, Lasting Memories. There aren't as many ads as in the other mags and the L/Os are nice.

Karen aka TN Traveler

DS's have a magazine fund raiser for student council at the beginning of the school year so last year I decided to try a scrapping magazine. I got Making Memories, after a while I realized I wasn't getting too much out of it. I would rip out a few techniques I wanted to try, and maybe some ads for embellishments that I knew I could make into a paper piecing myself, but that was about it. Their layouts were beautiful, but way more elaborate than I scrap, and I try not to just put one picture on a page unless it is special. This past school year I tried Creative Keepsakes and I am finding I am using even less ideas from it than the MM magazine. I find I use the internet much more. I will have to check if my library gets any as that would probable suit me best. I do like the special editions of the magazines that I have seen though, as they seem to have a lot more usable ideas for me.

That's my complaint--all the layouts in the magazines have ONE picture on them!! I usually have a hard time getting room on a page for all of mine so their layouts don't work. I like to look at them all though.

I subscribe to Better Homes and Garden's Scrapbooks Etc. and I like it alot!

If you want Creating Keepsakes, Simple scrapbooks, or Memory Makers... check Ebay. The subscriptions are sold on there for much less!

Between my two fellow scrappers and my self we subscribe to BH&G, CK and Simple S. -- I get the BH&G -- which IMO I think is the most useful and realistic to my needs, but I do see other things that interest me in the other two magazines. When I first started scrapbooking, I got Making Memories, but the layouts were way above my head at the time, or not something I was interested in. Now, I think-- I would just get idea books, or search the web for ideas, so I do not think I will be renewing my subscriptions to anything next year. My fellow scrappers that I swap magazines with feel the same way. --- oh yeah, but the ads are cool and lets you see what new items will be coming out :cheer2:

I often use my ACM or Ms 40% off coupons to buy magazines. (My local library does not carry craft magazines)

I really like Scrapbook Etc. (by BH&G) and decided to subscribe to it. I have a love/hate relationship to CK (some months I love it - some months I hate it). I often buy the special issues of Simple Scrapbooks and strongly recommend the new Scrapbook Inspirations issue!

Also the CK convention had a buy one subscription get one free offer. (e.g. pay for a year of CK and get a year of SS or Paper Crafts for free!)

A friend of mine was cleaning out her closet a few weeks ago and gave me all her old CK and MM mags. Range in date from '01-mid '04. I went through all of them and tore out ideas that I liked and plan to make my own inspiration book to refer to. The mags that I haven't taken anything from, I'm going to put in my yard sale in a couple weeks and sell for .25 each. Do ya'll think that's a fair price? Too much? Not enough? Appreciate feedback!
TIA!
Karen

Well I think I get just about everyone of them and I love them. I just tear out the pages I think will inspire me later and keep them in a big notebook. I refer to it all the time.
The one magazine I love that no one mentioned was Papercuts. It's kinda middle of the road scrapping which is me. My other favorite is Simple Scrapbooking. CK is just a bit much for me, but I can't bear to cancel the subscription cause I love the mail! The Simple Sentiments is good too for cards like Sondra said.

Simple Scrapbooking is my absolute favorite because it is exactly my style. I would look through some and decide which magazine is for you. The library is an excellent idea but I don't think I could give up the happy feeling when I get mail!

If you have a lot of pictures for each page, I would try Becky Higgins idea book. I always pull it out when I am doing vacation or big event pages with lots of pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter