What is the best film to use to get those magnificent night shots of the parades?

pippi

Mouseketeer
I really want great shots of the parades and the stuff that happens at night. What's the best film to use?

For night time shots, use 800 speed or higher. I took my manual camera last time and used 1000 speed at Illuminations. There isn't much light over the actual lagoon except what the fireworks provide. I still had to slow my shots way down which I can do on a manual, but you cannot do on most point and shoots with automatic focus, etc. If you use a flash, remember a flash has to bounce off of something to reflect that light back into your camera. Flashes are a waste in my very humble opinion for fireworks. I always laugh when I see outdoor concerts at stadiums at all the flashes going off from people light years away from the action. Waste of a good battery. ;) In the parades, you might get close enough for your flash to bounce and provide that light to the camera -- but you might be blinding a performer. Flash photography is prohibited for that reason in a lot of areas of DW -- can't remember if the parades carry that warning, too.

Even when it isn't completely dark, you should consider something faster than 200 for moving targets. 400 speed is great for times when you are shooting a moving target but have more light. 200 is usually great for everything else outdoors at DW. I usually use 400 inside. 100 for really really bright sunlight -- like the beach with the water reflecting the sun.

I also asked at Wolf Camera whether they recommended Fuji over Kodak. I was told (so don't hold me to this) that it is really personal preference. I think they said Fuji usually prints deeper blues and greens while Kodak typically develops with richer red tones. Really up to you.

Good developing is also important. I never send my expensive rolls (800 and 1000 speed) to Wal-Mart. It costs way more, I know, but you can also find coupons on Wolf Camera's website if you have one close by. They are the more "upscale" developer in our area. With that being said, I usually send everything else to Sam's which is really cheap.

OK--any others out there, please correct me. I am an wannabe photographer, not the actual thing yet. Have fun!!!

Sounds good to me.

The ONLY thing good about taking film to Walmart or Target for the 1 hour developing is that if you get a good person behind the counter they will/can redo the pics until you are satisfied. I take mine to Target only because they use Kodak developing. (Walmart uses Fuji and I think it is terrible. JMHO, though) The one and only Target I take mine to, the woman is really nice. She looks over photos and redoes them for me before I even come back. She adjusts the color and so forth to bring out the best in the pics. Even if I did find a pic I thought could have better color, she would redo it. I've been burned by the drop off type of developing before, so I stay clear of those. Again, JMHO, though. I've gotten other peoples pics back and lost mine forever. I've had badly developed pics. I've even had pinky prints on the photo's and when I asked how they got there, I was told it must be my pinky. (how did my pinky get on the actual film inside of the canister? LOL)

I'm planning on taking 2 rolls of 800 film on Thursday. I want lots of pics of Epcot's archway and such and lots of pics of the backlot at MGM, too. (may never get down there at this time again)

Ok-I've picked up some 800 speed film for WDW mainly for the fireworks from the beach of the Polynesian and the Electric water parade. I haven't used 800 speed before. Do I need to do a timed exposure (I've done that with 400 speed for fireworks). Or since this is faster do I just take it like a normal picture. Thanks.

Is your camera a point and shoot or do you have an SLR where you can choose the film speed?

I have an older (like 4 or so years) Nikon Lite Touch Zoom AF and my book says that it uses 100, 200, 400 and 1000 speed film. To verify what would happen if I dropped in a roll of 800 speed film I called Nikon - they told me my camera would default to 1000 speed film. Now - if you get your 800 speed film (that the camera thought was 1000 speed film) developed like it was exposed at 800 speed - your pictures will not be what you expect.

Please make sure you camera can handle the higher speed film before you use it.

Just a note of caution

DizzKneeLand

I didn't even think of that! I do have to set the film speed on my camera and never even thought of that-I'll have to go check. The only reason I got 800 instead of 1000 at the store is because they didn't have 1000. Never thought about if the camera could handle it. I would have realized it on the beach when I was loading the film.

So-with 800 or 1000-whichever my camera uses-do I need to do a timed exposure? Or just "point and click" since it's a faster speed? Thanks.

Joy

to the developing process where you get your pictures done - Walmart uses fuji developing - you'll have better results with fuji film - when I switched to snapfish (Kodak) - I switched film as well, after the first couple rolls - again with better results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter