• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is still not back to "normal?" (Updated April 2023)

Technically the muster drill which changed again after covid had made changes prior to covid as an example.
People in our FB group were told on their current cruise that the muster drill will be returning to the previous format where everyone has to report to their muster drill at the same time.

We really liked the current format, but evidently, the Coast Guard does not.

Are the kids clubs picking up kids from the main dining room again? Wasn't it called Dine and Play, or something like that?
That has not restarted

Technically the muster drill which changed again after covid had made changes prior to covid as an example.

Character breakfast didn't start on the Fantasy right away and when it came back you had to get a spot for it and everyone wasn't guaranteed to have it and it went to disney jr. While before that all the longer cruises were given a morning for character breakfast.
We were on the Fantasy as late as Dec 2019 and Character breakfasts were by reservation only for several years prior to that sailing (always sold out). I hadn't had an "assigned" character breakfast since I was on the magic back in 2009

People in our FB group were told on their current cruise that the muster drill will be returning to the previous format where everyone has to report to their muster drill at the same time.

The old muster drill was annoying because half the people didn't pay attention and you were so squished. But I can totally get why the coast guard doesn't like it.

The old muster drill was annoying because half the people didn't pay attention and you were so squished. But I can totally get why the coast guard doesn't like it.

We shall see what they do with the muster drill. It hasn't updated yet to changing back so time will tell, that could be CM speculation also.

lol Agree with all of you about the menu vs buffet. I'd rather pirate night was just the buffet (at dinner time) instead at 10:30pm. I never find anything on the pirate dinner menu that I want to eat.

Noooooooooo! I hated the way the old muster drill was done; inevitably you'd have to wait around for those people that either didn't know they had to meet up or didn't care that everyone else was waiting for them to show up. It can get really claustrophobic too, having to stand there in such a large group. My only saving grace is that I'm short so I was in the front of the line and had 'space' in front of me. If I was stuck in the middle of those lines I might have had a minor panic attack . . .

Am I the only one who likes the pirate menu, lol? I see so much hate for it in these groups/social media, but my family really liked it.
My family loved the Pirate menu! I don't understand all the hate for it. June was our first cruise with a pirate menu. I wanted so many appetizer items! I had the mango soup, the beet salad, the samosa, the jerk chicken, and we split all the desserts. DH let me try his crab cakes as that was another appetizer I wanted...but I knew I couldn't eat that too. We liked the menu because it had flavor!

We shall see what they do with the muster drill. It hasn't updated yet to changing back so time will tell, that could be CM speculation also.
That is true, but then when you put it that way it sounds scary because if they don't have enough crew to do a proper Muster Drill, that would technically mean they don't have enough to handle an emergency.

That is true, but then when you put it that way it sounds scary because if they don't have enough crew to do a proper Muster Drill, that would technically mean they don't have enough to handle an emergency.

If crew is speculating that muster drill could go back to as is was then there is likely enough to run it and needed incase of emergency.

More going to come down to what the coast guard allows and what DCL wants to do.

Platinum perks…getting a low boarding number, still having to stay up at midnight to get early boarding, having a hard time getting a brunch as Platinum since concierge can grab all of them first, no dinners at Cabanas, Pirate buffet after fireworks…

Negative changes:
  • Stricter enforcement of PATs
  • Platinum cruisers required to use PATs
  • No officer's pin trading event
  • No buffet at Palo brunch
  • No more paper Navigators upon request
  • No onboard booking of specific cruises

Positive change:
  • Much better muster drill procedure

Last edited:
Negative changes:
  • Stricter enforcement of PATs
  • Platinum cruisers required to use PATs
  • No officer's pin trading event
  • No buffet at Palo brunch
  • No more paper Navigators
  • No onboard booking of specific cruises

Positive change:
  • Much better muster drill procedure
Paper navigators being gone was pre-Covid.

If crew is speculating that muster drill could go back to as is was then there is likely enough to run it and needed incase of emergency.

More going to come down to what the coast guard allows and what DCL wants to do.
The guy in our group who shared is on the current Bermuda cruise and is also on the Thanksgiving Magic cruise. He said he was speaking with the captain and mentioned that he liked the new muster. The captain said they would be returning to the previous format and that the first cruise where this would occur was the 11/20 cruise from Galveston.

We like the new format also, but on our Wish cruise last month there were people who did not check into their muster station. A couple at our table had not checked on the first afternoon and said they had gotten a paper notice and a phone call that they had to come at 8 the next morning to do some sort of make-up drill. The husband said he was on vacation and was not getting up that early for something so pointless.

The guy in our group who shared is on the current Bermuda cruise and is also on the Thanksgiving Magic cruise. He said he was speaking with the captain and mentioned that he liked the new muster. The captain said they would be returning to the previous format and that the first cruise where this would occur was the 11/20 cruise from Galveston.

We like the new format also, but on our Wish cruise last month there were people who did not check into their muster station. A couple at our table had not checked on the first afternoon and said they had gotten a paper notice and a phone call that they had to come at 8 the next morning to do some sort of make-up drill. The husband said he was on vacation and was not getting up that early for something so pointless.
He could be put off the ship at the next port for disregarding the Captain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter