What is happening/hovering above Cinderella castle tonight?

DisneyChristmas

Mouseketeer since '55
We’re at the GF in a room above Gasparilla Island Grill, and we have a clear view of the castle. About 10:30 pm, DH noticed a helicopter approaching from the east. Now it seems to be hovering above the castle at a height about double the height of the castle. It has been there for at least 40 minutes now. Some sort of line seems to be hanging down from it. I tried to take a photo to post, but in the dark neither my phone nor iPad can capture as clear picture as what my eyes are seeing.
Does anyone know what’s being repaired or added?

Yup. Sorry for all the fuss. The crane was just lowered. I guess that the overcast sky made it look very weird last night. Thus far MK, Studios, EPCOT all still have some Christmas decorations and Christmas music. The MK tree still was in place, and America at ECPOT had its tree. Each park had garland on buildings and holiday decorations on lightposts. We’re headed for AK this morning and hope to see a last bit of Christmas.

Yup. Sorry for all the fuss. The crane was just lowered. I guess that the overcast sky made it look very weird last night. Thus far MK, Studios, EPCOT all still have some Christmas decorations and Christmas music. The MK tree still was in place, and America at ECPOT had its tree. Each park had garland on buildings and holiday decorations on lightposts. We’re headed for AK this morning and hope to see a last bit of Christmas.
Yes, my DD is there right now and has been texting me about all the Xmas decorations and music still going. She said it feels "weird" that it is all up still. Is it normal to have it up this late in January? I thought they took it down right after New Years?

Yes, my DD is there right now and has been texting me about all the Xmas decorations and music still going. She said it feels "weird" that it is all up still. Is it normal to have it up this late in January? I thought they took it down right after New Years?
It is usually all down by the 4th or 5th. We saw a lot yet at Epcot yesterday.

It is usually all down by the 4th or 5th. We saw a lot yet at Epcot yesterday.
The odd part is at Epcot the only things still up were in the countries. The main park decorations (at entrance, all around FW, big tree) where down before we left on the 4th.

With the Marathon activities so short a time after January 1, decorations at the parks may have been left in place for the enjoyment of (and because of) the January 3-8 running guests. CM at the Floridian said that they were sold out every night.

All the decorations at the resorts and parks should stay up until at least the 6th IMO. I was so gutted when I returned to Riverside at about 11pm on Jan 1 and saw all the trees and wreaths being removed (boy are they efficient though, wow, what an operation).

The decorations tend to always remain in the parks until after Marathon weekend. The only difference this year that I noticed was Epcot's tree down on New Years Eve this year.

The decorations tend to always remain in the parks until after Marathon weekend. The only difference this year that I noticed was Epcot's tree down on New Years Eve this year.

Yep, this. Disney started leaving the decorations up in the parks til after the marathon a few years ago. Should be coming down quickly over the next few days.

Here now & spent the day at MGM (ie:Hollywood Studios). I get that the Christmas decorations needed to stay up longer due to the weather circumstances last week, but the Christmas music too?
I was humming Jingle Bells & Santa Claus is Coming to Town all day! It was weird!

That cold snap could have hindered operations.

This was definitely the case in the past. We have gone down for Marathon weekend 8 or 9 times, and this year they definitely seemed to be going slower on the external decorations than they do in more seasonable years. Internal stuff was down just as fast as we have seen before though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter